• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Switching to D from R!

I am shocked to hear myself say this, but I think some others ought to consider it.

I intend to vote in the democratic primary instead of Republican. I expect my Republican favorites to win without my vote, and could live with either choice when the general comes around. I am so disgusted by several candidates on the Dem ballot (MC,WT), that I think I will switch for the primary to make my vote count for something. Martha allowing her friend and contributor to bilk a charity of well over a quarter million dollars makes me certain she would do worse if seated in the governors chair. Tolmans stated intention to not wait to order "Smart Gun Technology" sounds too much like a national politician who has a "pen and a telephone"!

Steve , you will have my vote in the primary, but not likely in the general!

Hey. That's dirty pool...I like it!

Vote for Grossmen in the primary so Coakley does not win then vote for Mark Fisher in November Thats why you got to stay a independent

Last edited:
If you register as independent they ask you which ballot you want (R or D) when you go to vote.

Bob

This is the best answer! After losing out on a federal job that I was verbally promised due to being enrolled in the wrong party, I changed my status to independent (now called unenrolled) a short time later (this was in the early 1970s) and never looked back. I had a friend (politician) beg me to change so that he could get me delegate status for the state convention (NO way I want to see how that sausage is made) and I politely refused. I vote the person (or leave it blank) but I won't be "tagged" as a person supporting any political party. My Wife and I are both "unenrolled" and choose a ballot each time we go to the primaries (which is all of them).

I don't know why anyone would go on record as a guaranteed vote for either party.

^^^ This!

Un-enrolled but I usually vote in the Dem primary to screw over the worst candidates (Tolman... you hear me???).

Hey. That's dirty pool...I like it!

Yep, that's how I play too. In fact, already voted with an absentee Democrat ballot.

Going up to the Republican headquarters in Billerica tomorrow night to make calls. Come by at 630 Boston Road, Rt. 3A.

Last edited:
Just ordered up two absentee ballots in the D arena. When the town clerk asked me what party my reply was "D (I couldn't even say the word) I can't let her get in". She chuckled.

I didn't need my ID either but at least she personally knows me. [smile]

There are many of us that plan to do this. It's become a routine with my wife and me, depending on the candidates, and the particulars of the race.

Oh, BTW, if you do get a D ballot please vote for Barry Finegold for Treasurer. He listened when we called about the Speaker's bill.

stupid question but how to I change my designation at the town hall?

Just go into the Town Clerk's office and tell them that you want to be "unenrolled." Then you can choose whichever ballot you want in every primary. After you vote you revert back to unenrolled.

I hope we can keep Tolman off the final ballot for November's election.

Independent is just another term used to describe what an "unenrolled" voter is. Same thing, different syntax.

The "Independent Party" is a registered political party that has nothing to do with unenrolled status. It's common for people to confuse the two designations.

http://www.massindependentparty.org/

Howie and barry from the money show were pushing this yesterday. It is a must. She would be a major disaster.

stupid question but how to I change my designation at the town hall?

Even easier way . . . go into any USPO or public library and there are forms on the counter for registering to vote . . . it can also be used to change party affiliation. There is probably a deadline for doing this and if so it's very close right now.

ETA: Just checked my Town Clerk's webpage. Deadline WAS 8/20 for the primary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom