• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tactical Lights on Home-defense weapons

Tony, I talked to a customer (I work at a gun shop part-time) and he was looking at some black powder rifles to buy for his son. I asked him why not a rimfire and he told me that he was convicted of using excessive force in a home invasion and is now a convicted felon and forever ineligible to purchase/own/shoot a firearm. There was a pretty good story to go along with it but bottom line he was convicted of the charge.

Yeah, but you didn't get the whole story. Often times people with poor
representation end up copping plea bargains for crimes they didn't commit
because the lawyer they had sucked and was trying to take the easy
way out. They also may not have told you that, well, maybe they
put a "quieting" shot into the guy after h e was already not a threat, or
some other behavior which was out of line with being consistent with
legal self defense.

I'm not disagreeing that a shoot can go bad... except I believe that
the reason some do go bad is because of something the person did or
did not do, not because of what kind of gun or ammunition they
used.

-Mike

As to courtroom defense based on weapon type, I suggest you read some Massad Ayoob. He has a book on courtroom cases dealing with weapon type and ammunition. I have never been in a court case but he is more qualified than I, so I listen to what he has to say.

One thing to note about sniffing the "ayoob glue fumes" is that some of the
cases he brings up on those issues are not out and out self defense
cases. (eg, accidental shootings and other things which are NOT
self defense... )

-Mike

Yeah, but you didn't get the whole story. Often times people with poor
representation end up copping plea bargains for crimes they didn't commit
because the lawyer they had sucked and was trying to take the easy
way out. They also may not have told you that, well, maybe they
put a "quieting" shot into the guy after h e was already not a threat, or
some other behavior which was out of line with being consistent with
legal self defense.

I'm not disagreeing that a shoot can go bad... except I believe that
the reason some do go bad is because of something the person did or
did not do, not because of what kind of gun or ammunition they
used.

-Mike

Mike, yes I only got 1 side of the story. He did say that it was an extremely stressful event and he did open fire. I don't believe that there is anything such as a "good" shooting because there is a good chance of a life being lost and the live(s) of the survivor(s) being forever changed. Check out some Massad Ayoob. In the end everyone here can choose any type of weapon and ammo to defend your life with, I would just give some humble advice to do some research.

One thing to note about sniffing the "ayoob glue fumes" is that some of the
cases he brings up on those issues are not out and out self defense
cases. (eg, accidental shootings and other things which are NOT
self defense... )

-Mike

I would consider Ayoob more of an authority on civil matters than myself, but this is a self defense thread (and tac lights...I think [wink] ) and the goal is to stop a threat as quickly as possible. I choose a shotgun, others choose differently and there is nothing wrong with that.

Tony, I talked to a customer (I work at a gun shop part-time) and he was looking at some black powder rifles to buy for his son. I asked him why not a rimfire and he told me that he was convicted of using excessive force in a home invasion and is now a convicted felon and forever ineligible to purchase/own/shoot a firearm. There was a pretty good story to go along with it but bottom line he was convicted of the charge.

I'd like to see first hand the circumstances but apparently that's not possible. I just don't take too many people at their word - I'm sure you understand.

I'd like to see first hand the circumstances but apparently that's not possible. I just don't take too many people at their word - I'm sure you understand.

Tony, I fully understand. The problem is that while the papers talk about shootings, they don't follow-up with the court cases and/or go in-depth with the story...unless it is a real high profile case. If the guy never told me, then I would've never heard of it. OT, are you in my neck of the woods?

Tony, I fully understand. The problem is that while the papers talk about shootings, they don't follow-up with the court cases and/or go in-depth with the story...unless it is a real high profile case. If the guy never told me, then I would've never heard of it. OT, are you in my neck of the woods?

That is the problem and rarely do they give the true facts.

My location? See my avatar.[wink]

Round Gun Shooter:

I like your Corgie:

I used two have two of thaem

Found that if I cross bread them whith a Pit Bull they were kinder & gentleter.

My Mutt now is a Labrrawidleder. Maybe a Cog Lab would be a good watch dog?
Of course we old not sell them unless we marketed them as CoLabrabors

Round Gun Shooter:

I like your Corgie:

Thanks, My Avatar has changed so you can see her on guard [wink]

Round Gun Shooter:

I like your Corgie:

We just finished house sitting a Corgie. It was horrible! She absolutely terrorized and ruined our Tervuren and we don't know if we will be able to train out the behaviors she learned. Our dog is depressed and too afraid to even play with us even though we are home and there are no corgies to harass her when she chases a toy. [angry]

/Complete and total thread jack

Back
Top Bottom