• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Talk to me about skydiving in MA or NH

Did seven jumps in FL when I was in ERAU. At that time, a 2800 ft static lines was $5.00. Same for a 2300' hop and pop. We jumped out of a stripped 170. Just enough gas to get up and back. Back then Deland was a small out of the way field. Today a much bigger and more active facility. We used miliary surplus modified T-10 canopies and containers.

afh8hyo.jpg

I did two tandem jumps in RI 25 years ago (before kids!!), awesome time! Unforgettable, but as stated previously get the video!!
Glad I did it and I wouldn't talk anyone out of jumping, but as for me- been there, done that!

A buddy and I were seriously thinking about getting instruction and doing solo jumps... A week after our second jump a tragedy at the jump place changed our minds!
Sad news article
https://www.southcoasttoday.com/story/news/state/1997/09/08/plane-crash-kills-pilot-4/50591534007/

Jumptown in Orange.went twice.
I found the fist time a tad boring so I went again..,same result.
I do want to do BASE jumping though..that seems like it would be a rush.

Convinced my wife to come out one day and watch me. She came out and brought my daughter with her.

Went up on a plane that I wasn't familiar with, normally we simply sat on the edge and leaned forward - this one I had to climb out on the wing. I screwed up and clocked my head, made me dizzy for a little bit, then came out of it in a flat spin that I couldn't stabilize. Started rocking and threw my primary before it got worse. Chute streamered, kicked out of it, checked controls and then looked for the airfield. Yeah, nowhere in sight.

Rejected the houses nearby, (powerlines), rejected the water, (unseen rocks) - found a clearing in nearby woods and PLFd in it. Jeep picked me up and took me back.

Wife was pale-faced and wouldn't say a word until we were about half way home. Apparently the guy standing next to them when I jumped turned and said to her "Oh f*** - that guy's gonna die". She never came to watch me jump again.

Don't do tandem.
It can be compared to riding on the back of a motorcycle with another dude driving.
Do the AFF progression or the static line progression.

Back in the day, the AFF route was more expensive, but you got your A license faster.
The static line route as less expensive, but it took longer to get the A license.

I jumped out of Lincoln RI years ago. 13,000-13,500ft was what they said we were jumping at. It was quite fun.

I was supposed to go with a friend who was a big Ex-Marine. The day we were jumping he wasn't answering his phone. We were jumping at 1 o'clock. Just before 1 they moved it to 2. I tried calling him again, but now his phone was off. After I jumped I tried calling him again. He answered and said his wife wouldn't let him jump. Then in the background his wife yells ''He's lying. He was too scared and he was afraid to tell you''.

Jumped out at Pepperell probably 12 years ago. Definitely a laid back crew. I remember seeing a dildo suctioned cupped to a locker in the chute packing hanger...pardon the pun. Cool thing was they took my girl friends 85 year old Korean War veteran grandfather up in the plane with us. He was pumped. Got the dvd kicking around somewhere.

Why live that close to NH, but not be in NH?
I know, 1/10th mile from freedom. My wife's daughters were in 7th and 10th grade in Groton, when I bought this house. Living in NH would've complicated custody and school choices.

Last edited:
Ill say I think the video is a waste of money — just use it for another jump. I’ve done it a few times now, it’s fun.

Don't do tandem.
It can be compared to riding on the back of a motorcycle with another dude driving.

A good thing when the motorcycle is going 200MPH towards a wall and that other guy knows how to drive and you don’t.

Ill say I think the video is a waste of money — just use it for another jump. I’ve done it a few times now, it’s fun.

A good thing when the motorcycle is going 200MPH towards a wall and that other guy knows how to drive and you don’t.
So learn how to "drive" yourself instead of relying on someone else to provide your thrills.

Back
Top Bottom