• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax stamp / Suppressor wait times

That's frigging ridiculous. The entire selling point of the e-forms was quick processing times. One year ago they had it reduced to 90-100 days, now it's back to almost a year.
What is even happening in that time frame? Any actual work done? Is there something they are looking up? If so, what is the delay on that end?

Maybe the first thing a new congress should do is tell them to set a deadline, and if they don't stick to it, things just proceed.

What is even happening in that time frame? Any actual work done? Is there something they are looking up? If so, what is the delay on that end?

Maybe the first thing a new congress should do is tell them to set a deadline, and if they don't stick to it, things just proceed.
Basically they receive your application and prints.

Then they put it in a pile while you wait to get to the front of the line.

Somewhere 7-10 or maybe 11 or 12 or 14 months later it lands on an examiners desk who does a 30 second check to make sure the paperwork is completed and then sends off a background check request to the FBI because the ATF claims they can’t do those themselves.

Once you get the background check completed then you either get denied to start over or approved and a stamp sent out via email or regular mail to your dealer if it was a paper form.

Also, somewhere near the beginning there is a special place where they rob you of $200.

All in all it’s probably 5-10 minutes of processing time. The rest is waiting your turn like you’re at Disney.

Basically they receive your application and prints.

Then they put it in a pile while you wait to get to the front of the line.

Somewhere 7-10 or maybe 11 or 12 or 14 months later it lands on an examiners desk who does a 30 second check to make sure the paperwork is completed and then sends off a background check request to the FBI because the ATF claims they can’t do those themselves.

Once you get the background check completed then you either get denied to start over or approved and a stamp sent out via email or regular mail to your dealer if it was a paper form.

Also, somewhere near the beginning there is a special place where they rob you of $200.

All in all it’s probably 5-10 minutes of processing time. The rest is waiting your turn like you’re at Disney.

A buddy of mine follows his applications like a hawk and on different other forums where people report in the wait times, the averages per examiner etc....

I was surprised that theres only like, 4 or 5 folks at the ATF who are processing these? I mean, how many thousands and thousands of requests are sent in, and you got a small handfull of people processing these?

A buddy of mine follows his applications like a hawk and on different other forums where people report in the wait times, the averages per examiner etc....

I was surprised that theres only like, 4 or 5 folks at the ATF who are processing these? I mean, how many thousands and thousands of requests are sent in, and you got a small handfull of people processing these?
I wonder if they have reverse quotas with this administration like heck yeah I processed 12 stamps today. … Yeah well I processed 10 so there!

The new congress just voted to eliminate ethics oversight on themselves. I don't think they're out to make things any better for us.

I wonder if they have reverse quotas with this administration like heck yeah I processed 12 stamps today. … Yeah well I processed 10 so there!
Dunno, but theres threads of the average processing times by each individual. My buddy was talking about it, I was like, no way, but I pulled up my approved forms and sure enough, all the names of the examiners matched what he was talking about.

I figured it was a whole office of people or something. Nope, its like a few dudes and two chicks.

Is there a list of the names and the wait times for each that you can share? Would be interesting to see.

Is there a list of the names and the wait times for each that you can share? Would be interesting to see.

There are multiple databases out there, they are all user sourced data. You can find the Reddit one on a sticky here.

Thanks. Mostly curious. 13 months on a paper and 9 months on an eFile. The whole protocol is so archaic, not to mention unnecessary. Assuming NFA stays in tact, should just be a NICS check done at the dealer.

in 2017 I got two form 4's approved within 6 months. My latest form 4 application started in late 2020 took 11-1/2 months. So the "we are trying to shorten the application times" is BS . So what's the exact excuse from 2017 to current ? IDK .

Thanks. Mostly curious. 13 months on a paper and 9 months on an eFile. The whole protocol is so archaic, not to mention unnecessary. Assuming NFA stays in tact, should just be a NICS check done at the dealer.
That’s what the hearing protection act would have done. Passed the house, but Paul “Cuck’s Cuck” Ryan refused to bring it to the floor for a vote in the Senate.

My search for form 4 waiting time brought me here. How long are the average waiting times for a suppressor in New Hampshire? [thinking]
There's a pretty active thread in the "Firearms" section "NFA Items and Discussion" titled "ATF Form 4 Thread" where you can probably get better info, but I believe you're looking at something in the range of 6 to 8 months, depending on whether you file paper, efile and individual vs trust.

I may be completely wrong, but I was going off the ATF website from recently e-filing a Form 1 for an SBR, which is a different turnaround time.

My search for form 4 waiting time brought me here. How long are the average waiting times for a suppressor in New Hampshire? [thinking]
Being in NH doesn't matter on wait times, the ATF hates everyone equally. The wait times was around 270 days, but lately it seems to be a bit shorter. I had a customer have one come back in 2 weeks and the others around the average wait time. There seems to be no ryme or reason to it.

75 days recently for Form 4. This is with a trust though. 35 days on a Form 1. Before that 7-9 months on Form 4s. Seems very random.

Back
Top Bottom