TheRoland/Timber Challenge Planning Thread

Current thinking is that WeedWhacker, Myself, Timber (if this is acceptable) and others will present the HSC folks with a real plan and get approval, get a few volunteers for staff, and be able to handle spectators. Intention is to have a few IDPA/USPSA style action stages (with no technical rules), a few "other-style" shooting stages for variety, probably like the Kelly match (possibly drills, possibly steel-challenge style, etc), and then to finish with a dramatic head-to-head stage shot simultaneously (if it can be done safely).

Indoors in the dark is a possibility for a stage, but personally, I think this is a matter of honor rather than a way to actually settle the argument.

I'm, personally, willing to do ridiculous things top-shot style, but have little interest in truly bizarre tasks, like shooting flintlocks, SW .500s, NAA revolvers, or tossing hatchets while balancing on a log. I'd love to shoot the .450 thumper... but maybe not during the competition. If you, Timber, want to incorporate this sort of thing, say so, and we'll do it. Otherwise, my intention is that Timber uses his pistol, and I use mine. I like carbines, but I won't plan that unless you say "TheRoland, I really want to have a carbine stage!".

We'll have the stages up ahead of time, as that'll be required to make a formal plan. We'll need a headcount eventually (though not right now).

All of this sound OK to you, Timber?

Hey Terraformer and Comm2a guys: Is it alright if we sell this as "...to benefit Comm2a"? You'll get a few hundred out of the deal!

Additional update: I tried, but I do not like Belle and Sebastian. At all.

Last edited:
How about this? Seeing how it's a matter of honor that won't actually resolve any internet argument anyway, how about we split a bottle of bourbon and just punch the shit out each other around a campfire while people place bets? [rofl]

Only if you folks do the zip line while shooting at pigs in the night with just your night sights, so we can BBQ the pigs on the campfire.

I'll bring the 450 Bushmaster.

TheRoland, I think you need a couple of stages for pistol/revolver and a couple for rifles. If you really want to find out which one of you is more manly, I can put the carry handles on the Twins (ala The Predator) and you two shoot head to head and Jesse Ventura will bow down to you. [wink]

ETA: I'll even rig up shoulder harnesses so you don't have to carry the entire gun. May 5th is no good for me and possibly St. Patty's day.

Last edited:
Sweet baby Jesus. Are we gonna work in Roberts Rules of Order, too? See... this is what happens when you let the magazine readers organize stuff. Before you know it we'll be pulling permits so the Girl Scouts can sell cookies at the event, too.

That's not a bad idea. I ate two boxes of Thin Mints yesterday, to bulk up.

How about this? Seeing how it's a matter of honor that won't actually resolve any internet argument anyway, how about we split a bottle of bourbon and just punch the shit out each other around a campfire while people place bets? [rofl]

I'll lose, going punch for punch! If this elaborate plan falls through, or we can't get approval fast enough, we'll just do a private event and post pictures/video.

A little more involved than I had originally imagined, but if we can set something up that will get everyone together and benefit Comm2a, I'm all for it.

Me too, and if it gets to be too much, we'll pull the plug and do something smaller (maybe by invitation-only?) or squad together at an existing event. I assumed only a handful of people would actually care about this enough to attend. But the crowd wants blood, and I figure I'll at least try to give it to them!

The weeks of Feb 22nd-29th, and March 21-28th are no good for me. April is wide open, but May is filling up fast with travel for work.

EDIT: Oops, I misread. This month might be too fast to get the big-event version, but sometime in March might work for me, as would April. May is NOGO for me, too.

Let me know what you need from me to make this happen presentation-wise, etc.

Will do. We may want to exchange emails or phones by PM and speak offline at some point, especially when it comes to finding dates.

Last edited:
Wow this little grudge match is getting so elaborate that its never going to happen.

Just meet at a range, shoot until there is a winner, which should take 5 minutes. Go home

Wow this little grudge match is getting so elaborate that its never going to happen.

Just meet at a range, shoot until there is a winner, which should take 5 minutes. Go home

+1
All that is needed is 1 pit - 2 guns - some target stands and one moderator. Save the tournament for another time and additional planning. Maybe it can be your rematch if you still want to put a larger get together on.

I thought a couple men were gonna settle their differences, Timbers right ,its become the vagina monologues. Just go to a sand pit and shoot for Christ sakes.

I think you're right. Discussing a simpler affair in PM.

Going to look into the possibility of a big event in the future, but get a smaller shoot-off going in the very near term, while there's still interest ;-).

Last edited:
in for hanging out with ed and drinking beer and consequentially donating to Comm2A.

YES!

The more this thread goes on, I kinda feel like it will be like the first time I walked into the wrong bar in Japan, confused, kind of disturbed, slightly intrigued, but still drank beer anyways.

[laugh]

Last edited:
It's like the weird part of YouTube! This will be hard to miss. Tagged.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Were you in uniform? Probably why no one was surprised that you walked into a gay bar.

It's happened to me there times. Once in New Orleans looking for a beer at 9 am on Bourbon street. Turns out those little barber poles they have out front mean something, and only the gay bars are open that early. Once in Budapest, but it might not have actually been a gay bar as it's pretty difficult to tell straight Eastern European men from gay ones anyway. And once in Taipei... hey... they looked like chicks, dressed like chicks, smelled like perfumed chicks... So I consider that one a pass. Had a few beers in each to play it cool before leaving.

[laugh], who hasn't stumbled into the wrong bar in New Orleans or Key West? I was not in uniform, we were on liberty and took the train into Yokohama looking to party. We picked a bar that had a Bud Light sign in the window and went in. There were a bunch of old fat Japanese dudes wearing robes and smoking pipes while these wasted (drugged probably) girls were doing really weird, ah...Japanese things. They didn't really like us being there to much so the threw us out before to long.

Were you in uniform? Probably why no one was surprised that you walked into a gay bar.

It's happened to me there times. Once in New Orleans looking for a beer at 9 am on Bourbon street. Turns out those little barber poles they have out front mean something, and only the gay bars are open that early. Once in Budapest, but it might not have actually been a gay bar as it's pretty difficult to tell straight Eastern European men from gay ones anyway. And once in Taipei... hey... they looked like chicks, dressed like chicks, smelled like perfumed chicks... So I consider that one a pass. Had a few beers in each to play it cool before leaving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hear? You were the one I was modeling them for.

Anyways here a 3 quick drills to test skills neither of you have

Triple 6. Basically 3 Bill drills one at 7 then 15 and 25 yard. tests draw, recoil control, fast shot calling

El prez, tests transitions and reload

6 chickens, test speed and accuracy, reload and strong hand shooting
http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/03-02.pdf

Yeah but no movement? It's bad enough they won't be doing this in no/low light. I'm bummed I missed the original thread though... where Timber mentioned IDPA guys fear USPSA... LOL. Let's go, I'm ready. And I'll even bring a gun that is prone to explosions.... :)

I tried firing them out of my 625...

I will also add "against sound advice"..

I think it was something along the lines of. What possibly could happen shooting those rounds out a gun you plan on bringing to Smith and Wesson Indoor Nationals...

Glad those rounds puked...

Ok back to "duel"...

Back
Top Bottom