To All Mass Residents Thinking of Leaving

Could someone give some pros/cons of NH vs RI for someone working in downtown Boston needing to take public transportation into the city?

Commuting to Boston from RI is pretty easy, the T runs morning / evening schedules all the way down to Wickford Junction. There are also stops further north in Warwick, Providence, and South Attleboro.

Gun laws, well better the MA for now, but it's a constant battle. There's a lot of moonbats here.

Unless it's a bus, you aren't taking public transit into Boston from NH. That said, bus options from Salem / Nashua / Manchester / Concord aren't terrible (well, I mean they're busses). You'll need to get to the bus station.

I should also ask about NFA, I have existing NFA items...
I lived in Rhode Island for a year or so. Boston from Providence is easy enough, you have multiple options, including the express train.

RI isn't horrible for regular firearm owners (if you live in the right town, or have money to fight for your LTC). NFA is difficult, Rhode Island bans most NFA. See RI Gen. Stat. 11–47–8 &. 11–47–20 .

New Hampshire has no state NFA restrictions, except you can't hunt with full-auto (suppressor hunting was legalized [thread=311309]last month[/thread]).

Last edited:
Could someone give some pros/cons of NH vs RI for someone working in downtown Boston needing to take public transportation into the city?

Unless it's a bus, you aren't taking public transit into Boston from NH. That said, bus options from Salem / Nashua / Manchester / Concord aren't terrible (well, I mean they're busses). You'll need to get to the bus station.

What NHpoke said. There basically isn't an easy public transportation option into Boston from NH. The best you could probably do without taking a bus is drive your car to a T station (and pray to God you find parking) and take the T from there to Boston. A freind of mine looked into it once when he was possibly going to work for Akamai Technologies in Boston but live in NH.

We were already planning on making the move this spring before all this happened. We will be driving to downtown Boston for work unfortunately, but we don't work 9-5. I need to be in work at 730 am and my wife needs to be in at 630am.

Im expecting to hit some traffic at those times, but I'm thinking hopefully we will miss the worst of it (9-5 commuters) . I'm not opposed to an hour or so commute. We are interested in Pelham, Salem, hampstead, windham, and southern londonderry.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

There's also Amtrak, leaving from Dover, Durham, and Exeter. I use that to commute directly into North Station most work days. The monthly pass is cheaper than some of the commuter rail passes and the ride is much more comfortable. The schedule is more limited than the commuter rail though.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have two questions.
1 - If I bought land in NH and got a PO Box, would that be enough to get a LTC in NH?
2 - If I bought a second home in NH, got my LTC, and bought all the goodies you can get in NH. Whats the laws on bringing stuff to my home in MA?

This is not a thread whereby those of us in "free states" will chide you for staying and fighting. It is perfectly understandable to stay. It is also perfectly understandable that it may not be financially viable for you to leave at this time or in the near future. You shouldn't impoverish yourself in order to hop the border.

This is not a thread where we will try to convince you to leave. If you want to stay in Mass you should probably not continue further as the info here will not be helpful for you.

This is a thread for those who have made up their mind to leave because the illegal AG decision was the last straw.

If you have made up you mind, then we are here to help you escape the Iron Curtain.

While I can only speak for myself I'm sure there are quite a few other NHer's like me who are more than willing to provide whatever assistance we can to help you hop the border into NH.

Here are some links to help:
www.fspmovers.com

https://freestateproject.org/move/moving-guide

https://freestateproject.org/move/welcome-wagon

https://freestateproject.org/resources/jobs (while not listed I recommend indeed and craigslist)

If you are on FB: https://freestateproject.org/resources/jobs/networking/fsp-job-alert-group-facebook

I do not post on NES as much as I used to. I have a better job that I am busier at as well as being busier in general (especially with political season gearing up). I will do what I can. The best way to reach me is to PM.

A word to the wise: NH is NOT perfect. And you will still have to be politically active. However, you can have far more influence on things (as an individual) due to how the legislature is set up. Case in point: I had a somewhat major role in getting a ridesharing bill passed that was not a crony anti-competitive bill that Uber wanted passed. How? Because I sent an email to all the reps regarding the bill and a rep familiar with my name (due to my running for office in 2014 as well as being an activist) who was a power player on the Commerce committee reached out to me for help in making sure the bill was a more free market bill. I explained how the industry worked and made other connections for the rep to speak to in order to have more "ammo" to ensure the committee voted correctly (as well as the full house). The bill passed with good amendments and is now law. It is a very awesome feeling knowing you had an impact on a bill.

I'm sure I have not touched on everything. If you are not scared at the prospect that NH is still a work in progress, contact me or any other NH members, I'm sure they will be glad to assist in any way they can.

Thanks for the sentiment. The GF and I are both FSP signers with a 2 month old daughter. With the nonsense here last week, we've been scouring zillow for sub $100k fixer upper starter houses and have a few promising ones picked out. We looked briefly at the apartment route, but the rent for a 2-3 bedroom apt. up there surpasses the estimated mortgage + utilities on most of the properties we've been looking at. Plus I'd rather own anyway. Now we just have to find jobs up there and sell off a bunch of our crap.

Any specific towns or areas to avoid?

1 - If I bought land in NH and got a PO Box, would that be enough to get a LTC in NH?
2 - If I bought a second home in NH, got my LTC, and bought all the goodies you can get in NH. Whats the laws on bringing stuff to my home in MA?

Depends what "goodies" are. Off list handguns? Sure as long as the mags are 10 rounds or less. (or 22+ years old) Suppressors-nope. P-Mags-nope. Post-last-wednseday ar's and ak's-nope.

There's also Amtrak, leaving from Dover, Durham, and Exeter. I use that to commute directly into North Station most work days. The monthly pass is cheaper than some of the commuter rail passes and the ride is much more comfortable. The schedule is more limited than the commuter rail though.
Good to know. I was not aware.

Just on the basis of gun laws? No. There are bad towns, but no red/green map, see above.

1 - No. Anecdotally, many chiefs won't even issue to a part-time resident who owns an actual house. Just spend the extra $90 for a non-resident LTC. [thread=310850]NH has no special restrictions on non-resident LTCs[/thread].
2 -New Hampshire doesn't care, but Massachusetts might not appreciate it, if they catch you.

Last edited:
Depends what "goodies" are. Off list handguns? Sure as long as the mags are 10 rounds or less. (or 22+ years old) Suppressors-nope. P-Mags-nope. Post-last-wednseday ar's and ak's-nope.

Wow, so to sum it up when your in MA you play by MA rules, no exceptions.

Well the wife and I are planning on retiring early, within the next 10-12 years. We should be all set as we've planned accordingly for some time. We have our potential places maped/picked out and are always researching at least daily. We've made trips to a few places as vacations to RECONN and check things out etc. I won't list our reasons/critira and what we wan't etc but so fare they are listed below in order of precedence.

1. NC
2. SC
3. FL
4. AZ

My son is out of HS in about 2 years or so. Which will go by fast. For retirement, I'd rather have land down south in carolinas/georgia as its a lot less tax liability and the weather is better. I'm really tempted to look at land as I can build something myself in stages over the two years it will take to get outta here.

We are looking at something more temporary though and this bullshit definately started the process rolling faster than I would have. We may rent, or buy land and build something small as it may take a while to find jobs down south. But we want outta here.... Both of our MA jobs aren't a bad commute from S. NH. If kid wasn't in school, I'd be up there already.

There are no guarantees if you move either. NH always seemed ideal to me, but the last few years I have seen a big shift there in the moonbattery. Who's to say that things there won't become like Mass in the next few years? I also have my livelihood here. I am a 2nd generation owner of my own business and have a son in the business now who may stay with it. We've been around over 30 years. I also have 1 in college, so I have a while here yet. I will be honest and say I have never thought about moving as much as I am right now after the recent actions of Hitler Healy. I am right now listening to all the Boston politicians at the opening of the DNC and how they are all drooling over Killary. Sickening how bad our politicians have become. And we've allowed it. The only way to change it is to stand up and fight for your rights. The Demorats are the bully. We'll only continue to get worse if we don't stand up for ourselves. So what are you going to do.... run away or stay and fight?

You only need the "LTC" if you plan on carrying a loaded handgun concealed on your person or a loaded handgun in a vehicle. That's it. No LTC needed to possess. There is a spot on the form for your NH drivers license thus I don't think you could get a resident license without an NH drivers license since you need to be considered a resident.

For number 2, you could only bring to Mass what is legal in Mass. So no high cap mags (unless pre-ban). With the new "rules" by the AG I have not a clue how that would affect you bringing in an AR that was "Mass Compliant" before the new rules.

Thanks for the sentiment. The GF and I are both FSP signers with a 2 month old daughter. With the nonsense here last week, we've been scouring zillow for sub $100k fixer upper starter houses and have a few promising ones picked out. We looked briefly at the apartment route, but the rent for a 2-3 bedroom apt. up there surpasses the estimated mortgage + utilities on most of the properties we've been looking at. Plus I'd rather own anyway. Now we just have to find jobs up there and sell off a bunch of our crap.

Not really any specific towns to avoid gun wise. As was mentioned there are all kinds of varying degrees of quality of life. If you like the city, Nashua, Manchester might be more your style. Dover, Portsmouth, are cities but don't have the "big city" feel to them. Portsmouth is a bit expensive.

I forgot to add this link as it is helpful. Property tax rates are not everything. New Castle has the lowest property tax rates in the state but the property values are so insanely high that you are not living there unless you are a millionaire.

http://www.joeshimkus.com/NH-Tax-Rates.aspx

North Topsail Island, next to camp Lejeune. But, within a few months we'll find something with 25+ acres somewhere in onslow or Pender county.

My best friend is former Marine Recon. Lives about 45 minutes from North Topsail. I have gone there with him several times. It's a beautiful area. Best of luck on your relocation there

I think NH may be in our future as well... 70/30 scenery and politics. I have 2 years left in law school, my wife 3 years in PA school. She'll have no trouble finding PA work up there, but the legal market will be something for me to figure out as well. It sucks because we bought our first home in MA a bit over a year ago, but either way buying+sweat equity has been a better investment than renting another 3-4 years. We should walk away from this house with over 100K in equity unless the market tanks.

My wife has been in a bad mood since we left western MA where we lived literally on the outside rim of Mt. Toby State Forest. She wants to move somewhere with mountains, woods, etc, as do I. The gun issues and general respect of citizens is just gravy. I'm not worried about the "property tax" at all. 17/1000 vs 23/1000, and how much more house/land do I get for the money. Get rid of a bunch of the other taxes... good enough for me.

Mike

I think NH may be in our future as well... 70/30 scenery and politics. I have 2 years left in law school, my wife 3 years in PA school. She'll have no trouble finding PA work up there, but the legal market will be something for me to figure out as well. It sucks because we bought our first home in MA a bit over a year ago, but either way buying+sweat equity has been a better investment than renting another 3-4 years. We should walk away from this house with over 100K in equity unless the market tanks.

My wife has been in a bad mood since we left western MA where we lived literally on the outside rim of Mt. Toby State Forest. She wants to move somewhere with mountains, woods, etc, as do I. The gun issues and general respect of citizens is just gravy. I'm not worried about the "property tax" at all. 17/1000 vs 23/1000, and how much more house/land do I get for the money. Get rid of a bunch of the other taxes... good enough for me.

Mike

I just had to travel to our remote sites for IT inventory (we have sites in and around the White Mountains). I hadn't been to the White Mountains in a damn long time. And I gotta say I had a renewed sense of amazement and awe (even when driving along at 80MPH [laugh]) and I'm a native to boot! The Lakes region and the White Mountain area is a really nice area.

You mentioned law, well I can tell you we are in need of Liberty friendly defense attorneys that are also willing to be activists when they have time (aka testifying at the statehouse on occasion). At the moment the only attorney actively involved with the FSP is Seth Hipple. I'd love to see someone else set up shop and offer services in NH.

I just had to travel to our remote sites for IT inventory (we have sites in and around the White Mountains). I hadn't been to the White Mountains in a damn long time. And I gotta say I had a renewed sense of amazement and awe (even when driving along at 80MPH [laugh]) and I'm a native to boot! The Lakes region and the White Mountain area is a really nice area.

You mentioned law, well I can tell you we are in need of Liberty friendly defense attorneys that are also willing to be activists when they have time (aka testifying at the statehouse on occasion). At the moment the only attorney actively involved with the FSP is Seth Hipple. I'd love to see someone else set up shop and offer services in NH.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but it would definitely be something I'm interested in. This career seems to have few redeeming qualities ;)

Mike

Well, yeah I realize that, but I was wondering more about crime, demographics, polluted groundwater, libtard infestations, etc.
If you're serious, Mark Warden. http://porcupinerealestate.com

Bigger cities have more crime.

More expensive places have lower tax rate, mostly (the rate isn't the only thing important).

There are more liberals in the south than in the north (but moonbats exist everywhere, you'll just find more woodchucks in the north).

I'm not aware of any significant pollution issues in residential areas, but haven't really researched it.

Well, yeah I realize that, but I was wondering more about crime, demographics, polluted groundwater, libtard infestations, etc.
Crime info is published, there isn't much to be concerned about outside of places where you wouldn't want to live anyway. Most NH towns have a murder rate too low to include in the charts.

Aside from the latest PFOA thing, there are just a few places with pollution issues, and they're well known. You're more likely to run into naturally occurring arsenic and radon in the groundwater than anything man-made.

There are no guarantees if you move either. NH always seemed ideal to me, but the last few years I have seen a big shift there in the moonbattery. Who's to say that things there won't become like Mass in the next few years?
I think you're in the wrong thread. [laugh2]

Here's an updated timeline of "the last few years":
  • 2003 - HB415 passes, statewide firearms law preemption
  • 2004 - HB 1309 Shooting range protection amendment to RSA 158-B
    (Not sure why nothing seems to change from 2005-2009?)
  • 2010 - Knife law preemption.
  • 2011 - SB88 Expands Castle Doctrine (Veto Override)
  • 2012 - HB1551 - Landowner Liability protection bill.
  • 2013 - Court case NH v Dor (Definition of "loaded")
  • 2015 - Residents of 25 states can now carry in New Hampshire under reciprocity (and vice-versa).
  • 2016 - [thread=310850]Non-resident carry license issuance rules overturned by NH SC[/thread].
  • 2016 - HB500 - Ban Hunting with suppressors is repealed.
Yeah, circling the drain up here. Stay away! [rolleyes]

Last edited:
FSP is great source for info. I moved here two years ago ish. Couldn't be happier. Great people for most part. BUT. We need to keep it free. Need to get more like minded to move here and help.
Met a retired guy at post office today. Literally 20 minutes later I'm following him to his beautiful home on top of a mountain where he has his amazing pistol range set up in the woods. Tomorrow he's coming to my 400 yard range on my own mountain top retreat. ONLY IN NH.

I moved to NH about 3 years ago and I am NEVER. GOING. BACK. behind the iron curtain. This is such a great state in which to live. The people, the taxes, the gun laws (more specifically, the lack thereof), the scenery, the pace of life, etc. If you are committed to keeping NH the "live free or die state" I will welcome you with open arms and give you a couch to sleep in and a gun safe to store your stuff in. Otherwise.... we're full.

We've been in NH for 3 years now. Originally moved from Lynn to Manchester, then up here to Northern NH in May. It was without a doubt the best decision we've made. We moved to a quiet town with friendly people. The nearest traffic light is 20 miles away. We're renting a VERY nice single family home at the moment, with a 2 car garage, on a nice piece of property within walking distance to the small "Main St.", where there's a well attended Farmer's Market on Saturdays, and live music on Sunday summer evenings. You'll routinely see groups of children, as young as 6, walking alone to the ice cream store, or to the quaint 2 screen cinema to see "Ice Age 5". The community garden project downtown is full of everyone from young families to seniors. Real Americana type stuff. We have about 6 churches, all within the downtown area, and all well attended on Sundays. My gun range membership was purchased at the local gun store. $40 a year for a family membership, and there was no interview or application, just list my name, address, and phone number, then I was given a pin to wear and the combination to the gate lock. Quality of life was at the top of our list when relocating, and I think we've been able to accomplish that goal, and then some.

We bought a year round vacation house in NH 3 years ago, slowly we have been moving more and more stuff there. within a few years our plan is to move their full-time. IF things get any crazier the move is going to be a lot sooner.

Back
Top Bottom