Today was my last day shopping at Four Seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their customer service is horrendous. Deli tickets to get to the counter n be rushed to purchase. No thank you. I always liked to shop where the customer service was priority #1, regardless of inventory. That's why now as an ffl that's my goal, to put my customers needs first.

Considering how many people the get in there on a Sat AM, rushing you to purchase is something that MUST be done. Otherwise, you're going to piss of a butt-ton of people. Maybe 2 sets of #'s. Blue for looky-loo's and red for "cash in my hand, gimme dat one!" That way the red-ticket folk can get in and out fast.

They are going the way of Starbucks. And Apple. No one uses them anymore because they just suck. LOL

I've never ever had a problem with FS. Of course, I RARELY go in there near lunch-hour on weekdays and NEVER set foot in there on a weekend. First-thing or 2pm. That's it. Hundreds of trips. Thousands of dollars. They are who they are. I've never had an issue. But it does suck OP that your delay wasn't that long. I would have followed up 2 days later.

But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (which is probably legal in public in Mass. LOL)

Considering how many people the get in there on a Sat AM, rushing you to purchase is something that MUST be done. Otherwise, you're going to piss of a butt-ton of people. Maybe 2 sets of #'s. Blue for looky-loo's and red for "cash in my hand, gimme dat one!" That way the red-ticket folk can get in and out fast.

They are going the way of Starbucks. And Apple. No one uses them anymore because they just suck. LOL

I've never ever had a problem with FS. Of course, I RARELY go in there near lunch-hour on weekdays and NEVER set foot in there on a weekend. First-thing or 2pm. That's it. Hundreds of trips. Thousands of dollars. They are who they are. I've never had an issue. But it does suck OP that your delay wasn't that long. I would have followed up 2 days later.

But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (which is probably legal in public in Mass. LOL)

Yep, FS is an exercise in utilitarian equilibrium.

I find it amazing any shop will do transfers on new guns. Imaging going to any other business and saying "I found the item you sell for a lower price from a wholesaler. Rather than pay your markup, I would like to use your business license to affect the transaction and pay you a modest service fee for doing so".

Just try going to a bicycle shop or wedding gown shop and asking for that arrangement.

I find it amazing any shop will do transfers on new guns. Imaging going to any other business and saying "I found the item you sell for a lower price from a wholesaler. Rather than pay your markup, I would like to use your business license to affect the transaction and pay you a modest service fee for doing so".

Just try going to a bicycle shop or wedding gown shop and asking for that arrangement.
Honestly I don’t see the problem. That’s free money for five minutes of [electronic] paperwork.

Carl has always treated me well and I've had no terrible encounters with the staff but like most people in any business I've been in, some are more pleasant than others. When it's very busy it's understandable that they don't have the time to chat. I'd be more pissed that I get denied on a regular basis but it would have been nice of them to call.

lucky for me i live extremely close. if i need to buy something my day is Wednesday morning when they put the key in the lock. otherwise i'm off to collectors, no crowd, no waiting. my opinion of carl....he's a stand up guy and honest. hey, good for him the shop is busy. it's the help that turns me off but being swamped with customers for most of the day, well...i can show a little forgiveness just remembering how i got when i was slammed at work. hard to be anybody's sweetheart.

My problem isn't even price typically, it's shops that straight up don't have the model I am looking for. I wanted a specific type of Mark III a while back, and I could find no shops in the broad area I was in that had it. So, ordered it online, problem solved.

I'd rather buy from a shop than online, but sometimes you don't have a choice. I do remember asking one shop once when I was visiting what their transfer fees were "out of curiosity" and got the death stare.

In the end, there will always be shops willing to take $30 on a transfer fee as a consolation to taking nothing at all by letting another shop do the transfer.
But yeah, I don't blame shops being ticked at the guy that undercuts them by $15 or something on a model they have handfuls of on the shelf.

I believe they have some job openings. After reading this thread I am about to send Carl's way some potential candidates. They will address all concerns and bring diversity to the shop. And if you decide to complain again I will send them your way.
g.jpg

FS is the Costco of S&W and ammo, really nothing else to this gun store.

That implies ammo at a great price...I haven't been to FS in years,but they ALWAYS had the worse prices on ammo and just about everything else but new Smith and Wessons.I remember buying 500 rd cases of Fed XM193 for $75 up at Rileys,and the low low everyday price at FS was like $125,yet everybody here on NES raved about that store,never understood the fascination with that shop.

Reactions: sbi

The one twist is that there isn't the same licensure requirements for wedding gown shops and bike shops (currently) so where the flow of competition is stifled in one spot it finds a way to rear its head in another. If a restaurant can have a BYOB policy on wine, why wouldn't a gun shop be open to increasing customer utilization through capturing revenue they likely wouldn't otherwise be competing on?

If it's busy, I stop back in later or call ahead....nothing i need is life or death...I like dealing with the same guy I wait...life is good....I've also been known to bring a box of Joe and some donuts as well from time to time....It helps. I'm not one of those self entitled customers.

Last edited:

In general I won't transfer a gun that I can get from distribution. When you look at what it costs online plus shipping and transfer cost, buying local is usually close. If I can't get the gun from distribution I will always do the transfer. On rare occasions when my cost through distribution is clearly so much higher than some online guy offering at super discount, I will do the transfer.

Customer's understand this approach and I essentially never get any push back.

I have not had a problem at FS because I have chosen not to do my gun purchases there when they are busy enough you have to take a number. They were very helpful, but it is small and gets crowded quickly.

In general I won't transfer a gun that I can get from distribution. When you look at what it costs online plus shipping and transfer cost, buying local is usually close. If I can't get the gun from distribution I will always do the transfer. On rare occasions when my cost through distribution is clearly so much higher than some online guy offering at super discount, I will do the transfer.

Customer's understand this approach and I essentially never get any push back.

You're shop, your rules, but it seems like you're throwing away good money on a principle that became outdated when the internet exploded. There will always be someone who has a lower price. If I buy online and the cost of shipping and transfer fee is still lower then your price, I'd consider that a good deal.

I have bought guns at many of the LGS shops over the years, including FS.

What I have decided to do (with the last 2 purchases) is to buy local, and spend the extra $30-60 for the gun I want.

FS is a 2 hour round trip drive, so the time spent is not really worth it.

I really like Holliston Firearms and Gartman.....both are really friendly and have great customer service.

FS does want fast food restaurants do, lots of volume and some customer service. That is their model, and they are really good at it.

Sometimes, a sit down restaurant is a better choice.....;)

I just bought a hand gun from there yesterday only because it was $200 cheaper than anywhere else I found it.

But that was because it is a 1992 gun on consignment I have been looking for on for about 4 weeks and Sunday I said Fxxk it let me look at 4 seasons web sight for shits and giggles and they had one so I went in Tuesday when they opened to see and they had it so I bought it.

If you know prices of stuff and want to save some money every once and awhile you will find something.

Just look at 4 seasons as Home Depot if you look at lile that the you know what your getting and its ok.

As for the 4473 and the feds they dont call you back any more plus its all computerized and you would have to keep login in to check the status of the approval it sits in limbo kinda you would have to see the system and the process to understand.

Plus the ATF - Department of Justice suck I got locked out of my NICS account and was on the phone for over a hour the first day 2.5 hours the second day and got no where with them and then the 3rd day I called them I was on the phone for another hour be for they finally unlocked my account.

I have bought quite a number of firearms from Carl and will continue to do so in the future. Carl has always treated me and my friends very well. I do plan ahead and go during off hours.

I hope his success continues as we all know the crap gunshops have to deal with in this state.

if FS called everyone who got delayed he would need to hire another person just for this job

Timely thread, just dealt with them this morning. I would advise anyone getting a gun transferred through them to contact them first to make sure they'll do it.

That's typically good advice for any FFL in MA, and generally polite to do with any FFL unless you have an established relationship with them.

The OP got lousy service and decided to take his business where he expects to get better service. Seems reasonable to me.

I concur. Never got it.

My problem isn't even price typically, it's shops that straight up don't have the model I am looking for. I wanted a specific type of Mark III a while back, and I could find no shops in the broad area I was in that had it. So, ordered it online, problem solved.

I'd rather buy from a shop than online, but sometimes you don't have a choice. I do remember asking one shop once when I was visiting what their transfer fees were "out of curiosity" and got the death stare.

In the end, there will always be shops willing to take $30 on a transfer fee as a consolation to taking nothing at all by letting another shop do the transfer.
But yeah, I don't blame shops being ticked at the guy that undercuts them by $15 or something on a model they have handfuls of on the shelf.

I did have one got nutty on me once. Richard Feinberg. HE would transfer in anything. And not open it until you got there. It could be a Glock, a S&W revolver, a lever gun, a bofors cannon, a Titan missile or a machine gun. He'd just send paperwork and get it and call you. LOL

One time, I transferred a Scandium S&W. HE didn't have them and I found a guy with one used at a good price. So I transfer it. It comes out of the box. "I COULD HAVE GOTTEN THIS FOR YOU!" "Richard. It's used and it's a Scandium. It's what I wanted and I asked and you didn't have it." "Oh. OK, then!" He was fine after that. LOL

I have bought guns at many of the LGS shops over the years, including FS.

What I have decided to do (with the last 2 purchases) is to buy local, and spend the extra $30-60 for the gun I want.

FS is a 2 hour round trip drive, so the time spent is not really worth it.

I really like Holliston Firearms and Gartman.....both are really friendly and have great customer service.

FS does want fast food restaurants do, lots of volume and some customer service. That is their model, and they are really good at it.

Sometimes, a sit down restaurant is a better choice.....;)

I concur. Sadly, I order so little these days it is not an issue anymore. Last gun I got was a 320C. But I wanted a certain configuration that I was getting static for from anyone. So I found it elsewhere, took the hour drive one Sat am with my son and we bought what I wanted.

I have never been to FS, its an hour north of me, maybe more.

I have used their website for pricing and my local guy AJ's has been very competitive in his pricing....saves me from burning 2 hours worth of diesel fuel.

Considering the volume Carl does I'm surprised he still maintains that closet of a store. I've never understood why he doesn't move to a much larger space where he could accommodate many more customers.

my local guy AJ's has been very competitive in his pricing....

And if there’s a guy that deserves support, it’s him. Maybe not the best place for flinting, but if you want knowledgeable, friendly customer service and quality AR parts, AJ’s is the place.

I always had a good experience at 4Seasons and Carl has been very helpful in many occasions and I have gotten some really good deals. I try to go at times when it’s not busy but even when busy he will come to say hi. There are also other smaller ffls out there that are very helpful and can have good prices.
Back in the days when I worked in the family business we always wanted to know the good and the bad because you can’t always watch every single person who works there. I preferred customers discussing these type of issues at a slow time unless it was something horrible that needed to be addressed immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom