Today was my last day shopping at Four Seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are going the way of Starbucks. And Apple. No one uses them anymore because they just suck. LOL

Budweiser, Bud Light, and Coors Light probably meet the beer drinking needs of like 65% of america. That doesn't mean the
product is stellar.

FS is more like "walmart prices on limited range of items experience at a 7-11 sized store" type experience. As a business, it works, but its
clearly not for everyone. The average rubber-lipper MA gun buyer loves it, because the model feeds into their conditioning.

I've never ever had a problem with FS. Of course, I RARELY go in there near lunch-hour on weekdays and NEVER set foot in there on a weekend. First-thing or 2pm. That's it. Hundreds of trips. Thousands of dollars. They are who they are. I've never had an issue. But it does suck OP that your delay wasn't that long. I would have followed up 2 days later.

I've probably dropped 10K+ in there when I started out. After a point though you "graduate" and a shop like FS is no longer
really appealing. The last time I was in there to pick up a transfer I didn't see a single thing in the shop that really appealed to
me. About the only reason I'd stop in there is if I couldn't get my usual guys to get within 50 bucks or so of the FS price on a
smith revolver, but between the usual mob scene etc... itd have to be a huge gap for me to bother with FS at this point.

-Mike

I have bought a few new guns at Four Seasons. Never had a problem with their customer service although I empathize with the OP who got delayed a week. That has to be extremely frustrating! Lately I have been working with a really great FFL I found through NES who has done a lot of transfers on collector guns I get from out of state. There were a couple of new guns I wanted so I asked my FFL to order them for me. He got the guns in a couple of days, very fairly priced. The downside is that I really couldn't "kick the tires" because my FFL doesn't have a showroom like Four Seasons. Still I would much rather buy from people who I have a relationship with, not just get everything for the lowest cost.

I find it amazing any shop will do transfers on new guns. Imaging going to any other business and saying "I found the item you sell for a lower price from a wholesaler. Rather than pay your markup, I would like to use your business license to affect the transaction and pay you a modest service fee for doing so".

Why not? As a shop if you have your ducks in a row (eg, not doing everything by hand or can do things quickly) its a quick $30-$50 (or more if you can get it), few strings attached. If the gun the guy inbounded is a broken piece of shit it's literally not my fault. Even though most gun shops are "no refunds" etc, most good shops will facilitate a repair for you or sometimes even get you a new gun if you built up a rapport with them. I also didn't have to waste time selling the guy the gun, etc. (or trying to sell it). If I was just doing transfers and some guy comes in with his "Puds gun shop undercutting everyone else special" where the slide broke off the gun, if he comes back to me whining I'm just going to laugh in his face... and say "Well if you had asked me I would have told you not to buy it- or if it wasn't a junker, I would have met you half way and I'd be the one helping you get it fixed... but with a Puds special, you on your own now.... [rofl]

Shops that don't want to do transfers, instead of grousing about it, should either:

A- don't do them at all "sorry we don't do transfers"
or
B - do them under clearly delineated rules
or
C- CHARGE WHAT THEY ACTUALLY NEED TO CHARGE!!!!! If a dealer says "I need $50 because otherwise its not worth my time, I realize thats expensive but I hope you understand" I actually DO understand- and I'd never shit on a shop for having a $50 transfer if thats how they had to justify it to themselves. It's
no different when I charge someone $90 to show up to look at their computer.

The other problem is many gun shops simply DO NOT SELL certain brands or product lines because its not profitable for them to do
so. So why wouldn't they take an inbound transfer on something they're not going to sell me anyways? etc. For very small
operations its literally far more profitable to just do transfers, because the mid level disties aren't going to cut you any
deals.

Just try going to a bicycle shop or wedding gown shop and asking for that arrangement.

Those industries likely have different distribution models (as well as inherent protections for the end-retailers and a much thicker wall between wholesalers and
consumers) and radically different levels of markup. They also have much bigger value add potential than (most) gun shops
do. I doubt for Bicycles or Wedding Gowns if there are buyers groups. Or if there are, then all the dealers in those businesses generally all can or have to use them and it levels the playing field. In the gun industry there are the haves and the have nots, and the have nots are basically held prisoner by the oxygen thief mid level distributors, unless they can start socking away a 5, or 6 digit piles of cash to buy guns via a buyer group, then they'll always be a "have not".

-Mike

Haven’t been there in several years, hated the crowded chaotic feeling of it.

Signed up for their email list on the website looking to get a heads up on some used guns maybe, unusual types that may interest me instead of the chopping block of same same tactical Tupperware that they carry, that was....8-9 months ago? Not a peep.

Too many other good shops out there to sweat it. No emails? No money. Have a hot dog and enjoy your day.

I dont shop at FS, and like drgrant stated, you graduate from a store like that. So im not some FS defender, and what im about to say can apply to any single business anywhere.

But what the f*** happened to people. You have a problem with a mans business enough that you came home and wrote a post about it as a buyers beware. Why not talk to the guy? Maybe an oversight was made. Maybe the employee needs training. Maybe its policy and f*** you. But you dont know until you ask, and from my run ins with people, they will usually tell you what they're thinking or if a genuine mistake was made. Carl is always in the back? Sure. Ive also always seen him come out when asked. Gun store employees arent MIT grads. You hear more shit at the counter thats wrong than right. If I was wronged, I would want to speak to the owner.

If you're buying something like a legion you've (probably) graduated beyond FS, probably years ago. I don't even have any problems with the shop, but its quite
obvious that its set up for a specific demographic of buyers.

That aside, did you bring this up with Carl specifically? I'm curious if thats their policy now to laze on delays, or if that was smoke being blown by someone that
works there. At least that way I know what to tell people to expect.

-Mike
FS guns.....it's the Walmart of gun shops. That guy probably sells more m and p shields to new LTC holders than any oher shop in the state. Every time I go there it's a$$hole to belly button with newbs at the deli counter atmosphere picking up a shield 9mm. All in all that's fine.....its just not my kind of shop.....I have not been back in a long time.

I went there a few times when I first started

The prices are good - I wouldn't say OMG amazingly beat everyone else in the world great though.

But it's just not worth the drive and the time to me. The only one up that way worth it for me has been Precision Point, when Johnny was running the place.

Considering the volume Carl does I'm surprised he still maintains that closet of a store. I've never understood why he doesn't move to a much larger space where he could accommodate many more customers.
Actually smart of him. Small shop, pushing product, deli lines, and less overhead.

I bought numerous guns from FS when I was in the area. Driving an hour now to save $30 or more is not worth it.

Some people still get delayed even WITH a uPin, not sure if he has one or not.

-Mike

I have limited experience but those who did it no longer had to deal with it anymore. I always get further review but pass at the next level, never delayed or had to go back.

I also don't make it a point to buy brand new guns so 4S has never been an issue for me. When I did buy from them they knew I was coming and I knew what I wanted so I didn't need to drool all over every inch of display trying to figure out what I wanted to buy. I've witnessed people in pain trying to make up there minds in there.
I also don't go there after work hours or on a Saturday. I'd rather poke my eyes with a sharp stick.

Considering the volume Carl does I'm surprised he still maintains that closet of a store. I've never understood why he doesn't move to a much larger space where he could accommodate many more customers.

Because he literally doesn't have to, most of his "area peers" outside of the handful of decent new dealers like PPF, northeast, armory, that showed up in the past 5 years or so are pretty terrible. The 93/95 cup skinflints would wait in lines curled around in the parking lot on tax free day every year.... if people are willing to wait in a queue like that, they're not going to care that his store is the size of a closet either, keeps overhead low.

I wouldn't move it either.

-Mike

Last edited:
I’ve been delayed at Cabelas and they call me as soon as the proceed goes through. FS made me wait as well the one time I purchased from them. If you’re getting better service at a big box store than a local shop, the local shop is doing something wrong. Considering that Cabelas will price match, I don’t really see the point of going to 4s.

^This. If the retail workers at Cabelas can do it, so can 4s. Clearly they choose not to, because they’re happy with the cattle/deli counter setup where customers are just a dollar sign.
What did you buy and how much. Last I heard Cabela’s won’t price match small shops prices.

In the end we all go where we feel our money feels well spent.
Carl has treated me very well has always been up front with everything and never wasted my time.
Carl’s ammo prices have not been as good since the local FD cut his stocking amounts. This is why he stopped selling powder also. He also had the federal ammo trailer come for the sale.
The OP must have had a good reason to spend 7k there over the years and it’s strange that he’s upset that FS staff said your gun will be ready for pick up on X day and it was.... I see nothing wrong with that?

There are good and bad things that revolve around a high volume shop like FS. The good is you can get better price and at times selection. The bad side is that personal service goes right out the window and you get what happened to you. I stopped going to FS on a regular basis as I hate the "Cattle" feel you have when in there. I'll pay a little more to my LGS as they know me by first name and provide excellent customer service. Better then the cattle call you get at FS.
When I was behind the lines Carl always took care of me. His guys were awesome.

Can anyone point me to a MA gun shop that posts its used gun inventory as well at Four Seasons? The listings are always up to date and they will hold a firearm for 24 hours if you place a call. I'm open to other shops that do it better, please list.
Collectors, Stoneham usually better

if FS called everyone who got delayed he would need to hire another person just for this job

But that’s a part of the job. Other shops do it. So I will shop elsewhere. It really doesn’t take much to keep a list of approved delays. And give them a ring all at once. It’s a 17 second phone call.

Nobody Goes There Anymore, It's Too Crowded - Yogi Berra
Oh....plenty if people go there no doubt.......if your a cheapskate that thinks an hour standing in line with a deli ticket to save $75 is a great use of your time......it's the perfect store.

Because that would encroach on his profit margin. We can’t have that. Same reason he doesn’t call for delays. That’s 17 seconds he could be spending selling another SWEET shield.

I have bought a few new guns at Four Seasons. Never had a problem with their customer service although I empathize with the OP who got delayed a week. That has to be extremely frustrating! Lately I have been working with a really great FFL I found through NES who has done a lot of transfers on collector guns I get from out of state. There were a couple of new guns I wanted so I asked my FFL to order them for me. He got the guns in a couple of days, very fairly priced. The downside is that I really couldn't "kick the tires" because my FFL doesn't have a showroom like Four Seasons. Still I would much rather buy from people who I have a relationship with, not just get everything for the lowest cost.
When did Four Seasons add on a showroom?

Carl’s ammo prices have not been as good since the local FD cut his stocking amounts.

Lol, I have a nice bridge to sell you... if you think that a shop that does the volume that FS does only has an inventory of ammo
that small... nobody who is #1 is buying ammo in quantities small enough to easily fit in a little shop, I'll just leave it at that.

Can anyone point me to a MA gun shop that posts its used gun inventory as well at Four Seasons? The listings are always up to date and they will hold a firearm for 24 hours if you place a call. I'm open to other shops that do it better, please list.

The used gun page is pretty killer, for those who are vigilant and refresh it 10 times a day, but if you're not one of those people its also the same thing
that helps the used inventory look like a wasteland, because all the good stuff gets picked off pretty fast and doesn't last long.

On the other hand if some of the other shops that I found gems in had a list like that, the gems would have never been lying there for me to
find them, so that's the flip side of the coin... back when gun hunting was more of a sport for me I would literally stop by like 3-6 gun shops in one
day.

-Mike

FS sells about 15,000 guns per year.....that's a lot of volume for a small shop.

Can't expect concierge service at that rate.

If you don't like it, don't go there.

The nice thing about money is that you can use it anywhere.

FS sells about 15,000 guns per year.....that's a lot of volume for a small shop.

I hardly think an approved to proceed notice is concierge. That’s like saying “oh you wanted a receipt!!! Wow. You know how busy we are? I suppose you want a personal secretary too. Geez. The nerve on this guy. WHOS NEXT!”

I have been going to FS since they had the "old shop". The "new shop" is a tad bigger. Carl and his crew are always professional. I find many interesting pieces in their used guns. But, never on a Saturday, I don't go to Home Depot on Saturdays either.

Thanks for the advice. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom