What 45 should I get

Recently I've become disenfranchised with my Glock 22. I'm looking into getting a new 1911. I'll be trading in my Glock to help with the cost of the new 1911. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the various companies that produce the 1911. What should I go for?

Where do you live?

I ask this because in my situation, if I had only one 1911 it would be an S&W. Only because I can drive to thier manufacturing facility anytime if something is wrong with it. Of course I believe they make a good product also.

Hard to beat an off the shelf S&W. And then if something does go wrong, they treat you very well.

Lot of different S&W models. For now, I'd look at something simple and then customize later if you want to.

+1

Are replacement kits reasonably priced for the S&W models? And come to think of it why is one model 1911 not allowed in MA yet others are? Makes no sence cause I would like to get a Kimber.

Are replacement kits reasonably priced for the S&W models?

Not sure what you mean by that.... S+W guns have a lifetime warranty, pretty much. The SW1911
starts around $700 and goes up from there, for new prices... depending on the model you choose.

And come to think of it why is one model 1911 not allowed in MA yet others are?
Makes no sence cause I would like to get a Kimber.

It's because of the EOPS roster and all the other MA compliance
crap. (including the AG's shitty regs) Only S+W, Para have a significant line of
1911s in MA. There is also SVI and the auto ord gun, but the former is
expensive and the latter is (generally) junk.

You can still get other brands on the used market via FTF
sales, etc, or "compliance exempt" guns, etc.

-Mike

Thanks everyone thanks for the info. I think I may stop by Four Seasons soon to check out my options. I would like to get a new 1911 but beggars can't be choosers.

MA Laws /= Sense

If these gun laws made sense people would know what to do 99% of the time.

Replacement Kits? With the exception of the external Extractor models (which is actually a significant improvement) just about any quality 1911 parts will work. (as with any 1911 part, some minor fitting is par for the course.)

However, springs, mags, etc are all std stuff.

I'm looking forward to getting one. Good things have only been said about them and they are a proven design. I rented one not too long ago and instantly fell in love with it. I felt that I had more control over the 1911 than with my Glock 22.

I picked up the Para-PX745E @ Four Seasons, and it shots great out of the box. Although I do not like the fact that you need the Wrench to Break it down. I wish the (guide rod cover thingy) had more of a button on it, Im sure you can change it out but why should you have to.

I picked up the Para-PX745E @ Four Seasons, and it shots great out of the box. Although I do not like the fact that you need the Wrench to Break it down. I wish the (guide rod cover thingy) had more of a button on it, Im sure you can change it out but why should you have to.

The barrel bushing? Yeah. I have the LTC Alloy (R instead of E) and I love it. [smile]

I saw a breakdown of one of those on youtube and I was a little surprised that you needed a wrench to break it down.

One more thing... For your first 1911, get a traditional 5". First, it will be far more easy to shoot well and less likely to have any issues. It seems that the shorter the barrel, the more failures you tend to see.

Also, parts for a 5" "government" design are a LOT easier to come by.

Thanks Chris. Since this will be a new purchase I want to make sure I'm not throwing away my hard earned cash.

Thanks Chris. Since this will be a new purchase I want to make sure I'm not throwing away my hard earned cash.

You won't be throwing anything away with a S&W. I got a used SS SW1911 for just over $500 a while back. It's a sweet shooter.

I liked my S&W 1911 so much, I went and bought another one. Why I bought 2 of the same gun I have no idea, but I'm real happy with them.

Great gun right out of the box.

Last edited:
I've got a Springfield "loaded" that is really a great gun for the money. I paid $550 for it 7-8 years ago.

Or, you could go "Old School"
nra1.jpg

If I did not live in this state, I would love to have a Wilson Combat 1911, their catalog is so sweeeeet. Of course money would be needed.

I live in MA and own a blue SW1911 PD 4.25" commander size, and a two tone Kimber Elite Carry 4" officer size and both are great.

SW.jpg

Kimber.jpg

Even though those of us that live in MA are severely limited by the laws as to what we can buy from Dealers, if you look long/hard enough, you can find the other brands... Kimber, Colt, Springfield Armory... (I've seen these 1911 brands for sale at Four Seasons, Roaches Sporting Goods, and Zero Hour in the past).

I actually purchased my Kimber form Zero Hour. Last time I was there they had 2 Kimbers for sale... and both were 5 inchers.

Four Seasons has a few Colts right now along with the S&W's and Para's.

And if you look in our NES classified section there is a nice Springfield Armory 1911 among others for sale.

Back to what I have... my Kimber and S&W...

I love both... but I will have to say that the Kimber 1911 is "tighter" all around. Nothing rattles, nothing jiggles, none of the levers or safeties are mushy when activated...etc.

Maybe it's because it's 1 of 1200 Special Edition Kimber Custom Shop guns, hand assembled and customized... [smile] Seriously, though... From my experience and from what I've read on the 1911 forums... Kimbers, in general, are known for being very "tight"... having tighter tolerances...where everything seems to fit perfectly...which is nice. But because of this, brand new, they will need a ~500 rnd break in period.

And even though my S&W 1911PD has a trigger that rattles, a thumb safety that is mushy when pushed up to the safe position, both common to S&W 1911's, I LOVE IT TO DEATH. It is accurate as balls, fun as hell to shoot, and just looks dead sexy. Aside from the trigger and thumb safety, everything else fits tightly and is VERY solid. I LOVE IT.

Both are very accurate... both are lookers... both have had ZERO malfunctions/failures... One is just built a bit tighter than the other.

If you go with a S&W, you'll be happy. But if you're looking for the harder-to-find brands they're out there in MA... you just have to look a bit more.

Hanwei

Last edited:
1911's are habit forming I got my first one in 1967. Since then I've bought a lot of them and a lot of other handguns. But the 1911 is the best Semi ever made and will always be my favorite.

Dan Wesson 45"s Rising in Stature…and Price…

dw11.jpg

Dan Wesson Patriot 1911 45 ACP Expert Review:

The pistol has a solid, polished stainless bushing and a two-piece FLGR. The slide runs very smoothly despite a very nice fit to the frame. I detect very little lateral movement and no vertical movement.

The trigger pull on the pistol was very clean and light; I'd estimate it at 4lbs or less and very little over-travel. It should be a shooter.

The stainless steel barrel is fit to the slide such that it locks up dead bang solid; there is no movement. Up to the last 1/2" or so toward the muzzle, the barrel measures about 0.57"; the last half-inch or so, it measures 0.58." I strongly suspect this gun will "shoot."

The review can be seen in its entirety on the 1911 Forum, link below:

http://www.1911forum.com/dw_001_01.shtml

1_line_misc_3d.gif

17997.jpg

The Dan Wesson Pointman Seven:

A few years ago, the company (Dan Wesson) began producing 1911s. Being a small company, Dan Wesson has had its share of struggles, but last year it was bought up by CZ-USA (the U.S. subsidiary of the Czech company justly famed for a classic 9mm double-action auto, the CZ 75). This arrangement promises to bump up the profile of Dan Wesson guns considerably and gives the parent company two things it didn't have before--namely revolvers and 1911s.

And from what we've seen, the 1911s are pretty darned good in terms of looks, features and performance.
The Dan Wesson Pointman Seven is a Series 70-style 1911 with a stainless frame and slide. In this day of chopped "combat-type" .45s, it's a refreshing throwback--a full-size, five-inch-barreled pistol with a fully adjustable Bo-Mar target rear sight.

The review can be seen in its entirety at Guns and Ammo, link below:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/dwesson_101106/

1911's

I really like my Para PCX745E. Eats every different type of ammo I feed it without a single hick up, and has great grips/trigger/sear/hammer/sights/barrel. As has been mentioned takedown does require a bushing wrench because the barrel bushing is set in place pretty tight. Not that this is a problem but on some 1911's the bushing can be hand turned and no tools are needed especially if the guide rod cover is flat.
I grew up shooting 1911's and they are my absolute favorite handgun(unfortunately, this doesn't make my opinion any more knowledgeable. Seems to be just more biased[grin]) Particularly shot many different guns from Colt. Still like to get my hands on another gold cup.
Springfield and Kimber make some of the finest out of the box 1911's and if you can find them used take a good look at them before dropping a dime on something else. The new S&W 1911's are very good as well and as has been mentioned they're very local.

Quick List of my out of the box, semi-readily available fav's.*
*individual experiences may vary
Springfield
Kimber
Para
Colt
S&W

I should add the AutoOrd guns, IMHO, are not worth looking at.
Just not in the same quality league as the above.

Back
Top Bottom