What did you do in the reloading room recently?

My reloading manuals are a bit out-dated, but I see 10.0 grains of Unique as "Maximum" for a 110 grain jacketed bullet, 9.7gr for the 125g.
If you really want more power/velocity in your 125g loads, perhaps w296/H110, even Longshot, would be a better powder choice.

You're really consuming the powder with W296/H110 (22.0 gr), but these will give you magnum velocities ~1966 fps.
9.7gr of Longshot lists 1647 fps.
(all date per Hodgdon, 10" bbl)
Yeah I know. H110 and a 125 grain pill eroded my forcing cone bad. I'm trying to make mid range 357

I calculated out two different OCW load tests during break today for the 308. Thanks to Trashcandan I got some Hornady numbers and gonna go with them as those are projos I’m running. They do seam to be 1-2gr lighter than my other three manuals but figured maybe that’s what their projo liked. maybe if I’m lucky I’ll get to go size and prep some brass tonight.

I shot a cylinder if 357 with 9 grains unique tonight at the plates out of my sp101tonight. All hit the plates 🤣. Definitely a middle of the road 357. I have a few left to test on paper for accuracy in the revolver. If they are ok I'll make 20 or so and test them in the henry rifle.

My reloading manuals are a bit out-dated, but I see 10.0 grains of Unique as "Maximum" for a 110 grain jacketed bullet, 9.7gr for the 125g.
If you really want more power/velocity in your 125g loads, perhaps w296/H110, even Longshot, would be a better powder choice.

You're really consuming the powder with W296/H110 (22.0 gr), but these will give you magnum velocities ~1966 fps.
9.7gr of Longshot lists 1647 fps.
(all date per Hodgdon, 10" bbl)
Fwiw the 125 grain projos with h110 I was getting consistent Chrono results of 1330 fps out of a 2 1/4 inch barrel sp101. That is excellent performance but .....like I said .....it made a crispy critter out of my forcing cone. Ruger replaced the barrel for free last summer. Also they were a hell of a handful out of the snub......3 cylinders full and I was done. Fun though.
I'm testing unique for a mid range and more economical load. A pound of h110 or 2400 doesn't last long. 20190620_203149.jpg

Last edited:
Fwiw the 125 grain projos with h110 I was getting consistent Chrono results of 1330 fps out of a 2 1/4 inch barrel sp101. That is excellent performance but .....like I said .....it made a crispy critter out of my forcing cone. Ruger replaced the barrel for free last summer. Also they were a hell of a handful out of the snub......3 cylinders full and I was done. Fun though.
I'm testing unique for a mid range and more economical load. A pound of h110 or 2400 doesn't last long.View attachment 388356

I believe thats called Embrittlement

Swapped the 9mm toolhead out last night for .38spcl toolhead on xl650 - and setting it up for some 125 grn blue bullets I picked up last weekend.
If things go right, I'll finish setting it up today, make a handful and go shoot them after work this evening.

House A/C went out Sunday night and it's hot in the garage. Replacing the entire unit tomorrow, but it's tough spending much time in the garage right now.

UPDATE:

IMG_1491.JPG

Last edited:
Ruger called it forcing cone erosion.

Erosion is the end result, embrittlement is the process. Kinda like flame cutting on top straps or throat erosion on rifles and how blast direction has different reactions depending on which way it goes, how its contained.
Pretty interensting stuff how different materials react to rapid heating and cooling and how different powders have an affect on it.

Erosion is the end result, embrittlement is the process. Kinda like flame cutting on top straps or throat erosion on rifles and how blast direction has different reactions depending on which way it goes, how its contained.
Pretty interensting stuff how different materials react to rapid heating and cooling and how different powders have an affect on it.
Ruger service told me lighter projos like 125 and 110 grain in a higher end magnum loading can cause this. They claim the bullet exits the cylinder faster and allows more flame and heat to effect the forcing cone. I don't blame Ruger as they did replace the barrel......and I shot a TON of 125 grain hot loads through that gun in 7 years. Like 50 rounds a week for that length of time.
So I went to 2400 powder instead of h110 but had some problems......mentioned earlier in this thread. Now I'm trying some medium power loads and am trying out unique at 9 grains with a 125 grain projo

Ruger service told me lighter projos like 125 and 110 grain in a higher end magnum loading can cause this. They claim the bullet exits the cylinder faster and allows more flame and heat to effect the forcing cone. I don't blame Ruger as they did replace the barrel......and I shot a TON of 125 grain hot loads through that gun in 7 years. Like 50 rounds a week for that length of time.
So I went to 2400 powder instead of h110 but had some problems......mentioned earlier in this thread. Now I'm trying some medium power loads and am trying out unique at 9 grains with a 125 grain projo

I had some good luck with that out of the levergun way back when.

Unique and a 125 grain? That worked well in a lever?

It did, for me.
Got the 2nd best groups with it. Of course I was getting Minutes of trashcan lid @ 100 yds, but that was more the rifle than the load.
Lrnfp's.
I think I also tried IMR 4227 (works better with heavier grain heads) and H110 and I think Bullseye (my go-to)
I had the best luck with IMR 4756, but alas, that powder is just a memory................
Another powder might work well with jacketed.
Full disclosure- Wasn't near max charge, book load for rifle might have been 1000 fps?

It did, for me.
Got the 2nd best groups with it. Of course I was getting Minutes of trashcan lid @ 100 yds, but that was more the rifle than the load.
Lrnfp's.
I think I also tried IMR 4227 (works better with heavier grain heads) and H110 and I think Bullseye (my go-to)
I had the best luck with IMR 4756, but alas, that powder is just a memory................
Another powder might work well with jacketed.
Full disclosure- Wasn't near max charge, book load for rifle might have been 1000 fps?
Thanks this helps.

Has anyone seen a bullet like the Remington Power Port™ Tip, AccuTip Sabot Slug (.58 caliber) on the shelves? I want to reload for my 20 gauge since a box of the Remington Premier Accutip Sabot Slugs cost way to much per box. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone seen a bullet like the Remington Power Port™ Tip, AccuTip Sabot Slug (.58 caliber) on the shelves? I want to reload for my 20 gauge since a box of the Remington Premier Accutip Sabot Slugs cost way to much per box. Thanks in advance.
are you looking for a sabot to load into your 20g ?

Back
Top Bottom