What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I tried 10 of my 6.5 creedmoor reloads yesterday and one didn't go bang. The firing pin pushed it way below flush. After taking it apart I found the cup to be .020 short and no anvil in it. So much for Bench Rest.....
On the bright side 40.6 grains of LEVERevolution powder under the Hornady 123 grain SST worked fine. Max is 41.4 so I could bump it up if I feel the need.

Also 40.6 under 150 grain SST worked well in my 300 Savage! This could be bumped up as well. It's nice to be able to use the same charge in both, I won't have to fiddle with the powder measure. Just set it and forget it.
20240616_170018.jpg

Loaded up 15 test rounds of 38spl with V320 ,first time using this powder , going to see how they shoot (nothing more than plinking rounds). If I'm pleased will continue on with the formula of .......

Mixed brass
CCI SPP
Berrys 158gr plated rn ( bought thousands off of another member here)
4.2 gr of V320

Loaded up 15 test rounds of 38spl with V320 ,first time using this powder , going to see how they shoot (nothing more than plinking rounds). If I'm pleased will continue on with the formula of .......

Mixed brass
CCI SPP
Berrys 158gr plated rn ( bought thousands off of another member here)
4.2 gr of V320
I've never used vhitavouri powders. Never seen any on the shelves at my usual haunts either.

I've never used vhitavouri powders. Never seen any on the shelves at my usual haunts either.
I don't have a chrono, but they shot without any issues , and were as accurate as I am with a Dan Wesson model 14. I'm going to go ahead and make around 50 more for now and try them out of a Dan Wesson model 15-2 with a 6" barrel ,and out of my Henry .357 rifle.

I don't have a chrono, but they shot without any issues , and were as accurate as I am with a Dan Wesson model 14. I'm going to go ahead and make around 50 more for now and try them out of a Dan Wesson model 15-2 with a 6" barrel ,and out of my Henry .357 rifle.
I also have a Henry in 357 and tried a few powders and projo combos. So far a healthy dose of unique and a 158 grain jsp was the most accurate and velocity if I remember without looking at my notes was 1900fps out of the henry carbine.

H110 had more velocity but the groups were not as good. Imr4227 was lower velocity and decent accuracy but that powder leaves brownish yellow "kernals" of unburned powder in the action for some reason.

Cast a couple odd balls today.
A 45 caliber ball mould that was changed into a “ball-et” and a 215 grain SWC for the 38/357

I’m going to load the 45s into Auto Rim brass. View attachment 889799
This is so cool. I had plans to cast, and go to one of the NES seminars but then the move happened. I have about 600 pounds of lead I brought with me. One day. Maybe 10MM!

Cast a couple odd balls today.
A 45 caliber ball mould that was changed into a “ball-et” and a 215 grain SWC for the 38/357

I’m going to load the 45s into Auto Rim brass. View attachment 889799
Perfect time to size and lube with the warm weather. I waited until today to do it and I’ll finish tomorrow.

Carnauba Red works best in the summer 🤣

Got the day off and with the high temps it’s a good day to make ammo in the basement where it’s cooler and have a dehumidifier going 24/7. 70degrees and 50% humidity.

.357mag made with berry’s 158gr FP thick plate, 14.3gr alliant 2400, CCI magnum primer @ 1.580”

Another 50 using same recipe but with Hornady XTP 158gr and nickel cases.

Pleased that my Dillon xl750 worked perfect after back to back sessions where I snapped the primer return spring and then indexer return spring. IMG_4134.jpeg

Last edited:
Big things happening this weekend!

Pulled the barrel of my main rifle to start breaking in a new tube. Prepped 500 pieces of new brass for this barrel with mandrel and trim/chamfer. Found the lands with my bullet of choice. Hoping to load up a couple hundred rounds tonight.

I’m swapping my current brass lot over to the backup gun. This chamber is .002” shorter than the previous barrel the brass was used for but all other dimensions look good. I annealed a dozen pieces and a few small adjustments to the sizing die and I’m right at .003” bump. Gonna load 20-30 of these up at same 30.2gr charge weight I tested last week and see how they do.

loaded up a small batch of 35Rem's a while back with 158gr .357 mag heads to try out for plinking and practice, Out of my 336 I was pretty impressed with the 50 yard group. Got load up another batch to try at 100. Sure beats using up the 200gr RN which can be real hard to find at times.
Time to start casting

Casting would provide an economical source of bullets but will they work? Does your 336 have micro groove or Ballard rifling? Ballard should be good with lead but micro groove may not be. You might want to buy some and try them before you invest in casting.
I have a few Marlins in 35Rem dating from the early 50's to the mid 60's. Not sure what year they changed rifling (54 maybe)

Back
Top Bottom