• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WHAT DO YOU HATE THE MOST ABOUT COLT 1911s YES EVEN THE OLDER SERIES 70 GUNS ?????

BONESTOCK

NES Member
So for me Colt has always just been a four letter word ....LOL
I did not get the appeal for the longest time but then as I got more into guns over the years I have seen some really beautiful blued Colt 1911s.
My biggest issue is that no matter how tight the fit or how beautiful the finish I just could not get over the absolutely horrible sights they put on most of these guns. I mean especially that tiny ass shitty little nub of a front site and yes even most of the rear sights that looked like a hunk of metal some cut a notch in at home with a hack saw.

What are some of your thoughts or disappointments with this famous Icon of a pistol??

Colt makes a plethora of different models of 1911. If you don't like the sights on one, you can find the sights you want on another. Sort of... Which leads me to my next point. The thing I hate the most about Colt 1911's is that you can't find any of the ones on the website that you actually want to buy. They're almost as hard to find as primers.

I have two problems with 1911:
  • Some genius thought that it's a good idea to make 1911 in 22LR, 9MM, 10MM, 40MM, and every other damn caliber under the sun! 45ACP is the ONLY appropriate caliber for 1911!
  • Lack of innovation. The resurgence of 1911 during the 1990's AWB has caused detrimental stagnation in 45 caliber guns. Why bring technology to 45CP space if the USA is the only country that shoots it? Oh, and everyone in the USA who like 45ACP only buys 1911s.
Some may see them as advantages but I don't

Dude - the Issue arms were not really intended as battle weapons, but more as an officer's badge of rank, or a backup.

These were not for bullseye shooting. If you had time to take proper aim (standing side-to-target, one handed) you were doing something wrong. [laugh]

It's like complaining that a Model T did not not have a nitrous system and a bad-ass stereo with a sub-woofer for crusin' da hood, when it was introduced.

The above notwithstanding, ca. 1985 I went to the range with my Dad. He brought his 1911A1 Commercial Model ca. 1935. With young eyes, and a two-hand hold, I was all over the paper. With his geezerly ways ( he was in his 70s) and one hand he was all in the black. Then, misfire. He ejected the round, picked it up, and said, "Oh, 1918....that was a good year...." We were running WWI surplus ammo. [shocked]

Don't like them? Don't buy one. 'Murica, and all that.

• Some genius thought that it's a good idea to make 1911 in 22LR, 9MM, 10MM, 40MM, and every other damn caliber under the sun! 45ACP is the ONLY appropriate caliber for 1911!
  • Lack of innovation. The resurgence of 1911 during the 1990's AWB has caused detrimental stagnation in 45 caliber guns. Why bring technology to 45CP space if the USA is the only country that shoots it? Oh, and everyone in the USA who like 45ACP only buys 1911s.
Some may see them as advantages but I don't
Wouldn’t some people consider the multiple caliber options innovation? Isn’t that sorta the definition of innovation?

I don't own any 1911's made by Colt. The oldest one I have was made by Remington (WW2 surplus my father picked up ages ago). I have two other 1911's currently and am waiting to hear when the FFL is getting the one I want.

As for the sights. One of the first things I did on my first 1911 purchased was to get a better rear sight on it. Front sight wasn't that bad. A few years back I had it changed over to Novak low mount sights. MUCH nicer (both front and rear were changed). Hook up with a good gunsmith and you can get pretty much anything you want changed over (that you can't do yourself).

Last thing I did to that same 1911 was do the change from the series 80 frame config to series 70 (installed shim, removed extra parts, all good).

Personally, if you're looking to keep a WW2 (or other GI 1911) original, don't bitch about the sights and such. If you're OK with changing out items, then go to better sights and don't worry. Only guns I keep in original configuration are really nice that way (the GP100 comes to mind as the most stock firearm I own).

I was annoyed by the series 80 additional parts when I took that 1911 apart the first time. Getting those items back into the frame wasn't easy for me. Which was another factor in my more recent conversion of it. Then again, there's very little stock left in that 1911 (slide, barrel and barrel bushing is about it).

Wouldn’t some people consider the multiple caliber options innovation? Isn’t that sorta the definition of innovation?
I wish 40MM versions existed...
1647562007534.png

That said, my only complaint is that ambi safeties are not standard. As a lefty, this means its utility is reduced.

I keep seeing Colt Classics pop up in stock, but only in stainless. The next time a blued one arrives, I'll grab it.

A week or two ago I got two in-stock notifications, but both were stainless. I almost bought a blued one in December but I was too slow when the vendor got it.

At least the Colt Classics (which use Series 70 firing system) are available every few weeks lately.
I have a Remington Rand 1911 I got from the CMP, and the sights work well enough for me. If one were going for a modernized, updated 1911 you can just replace the sights.

This is already the fuddiest thread on NES.

OP, here's a revolutionary idea: you can replace the sights! Just last week I replaced my GI sights with nice modern Dawsons. Yes, I said modern - hope no one had a heart attack when reading that.
OMG!
I never thought of that......LOL
FYI......This was sort of click bait to flush out the Fudsters from the long winter nap.
You drank the Koolaid........but seriously thank you

1911s in general? Old, shitty stupid f***img swinging link bullshit design. Stupid f***ing staked plunger tubes. USGI sights = worst sights ever put on a handgun, "Controlled Feed" translation = gun jams if everything isn't perfect. Stupid f***ing internal design. The looks, ergonomics and trigger are what make it absolutely iconic, rest of it is a horror show/dumpster fire. The problem is as an archetype nothing comes close on the first three terms. Which is why i still like 1911s even though they're fundamentally a piece of shit. It's the gun equivalent of a drop dead 25 yr old redhead with nice tits and ass but turns into a f***ing psychopath if shes not on her "meds". Thats what a 1911 is.

1911s in general? Old, shitty stupid f***img swinging link bullshit design. Stupid f***ing staked plunger tubes. USGI sights = worst sights ever put on a handgun, "Controlled Feed" translation = gun jams if everything isn't perfect. Stupid f***ing internal design. The looks, ergonomics and trigger are what make it absolutely iconic, rest of it is a horror show/dumpster fire. The problem is as an archetype nothing comes close on the first three terms. Which is why i still like 1911s even though they're fundamentally a piece of shit. It's the gun equivalent of a drop dead 25 yr old redhead with nice tits and ass but turns into a f***ing psychopath if shes not on her "meds". Thats what a 1911 is.
OH HELL YES!
Nicely done sir
100 points
Now take a moment and really let your feelings out......let it flow just let it all come out.......LOL

What I hate most is the rising prices for them
I have an old 1975 copy of Gun Digest, so for grins I looked up the price of the Gold Cup Nat’l Match. MSRP was $219.50. Current list price on Grab-a-Gun is $1,599.99.

ETA Which is $443.22 more than just accounting for inflation.

Back
Top Bottom