• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what gun do i want next?

There are probably tons of these threads around.
As most of you know, I am fairly new to this. Got my Ruger 22 few months ago from a member here. I have put 1000 rounds through it already (very busy summer with racing).
I believe it is time to add gun #2 (ok maybe #3 too) in the collection.
Generous member has taken me shooting in the early summer and allowed to shoot a decent variety of guns (rifles and handguns).
I am not sure what I want to be honest. I wanted an AR but that isnt going to happen any time soon.
I THINK i may want another long rifle. Something to shoot far (well you know, far for me now may be 300+ yards). I understand that my 22lr may be cable of shooting farther now with a better scope but I just love that gun for what it is and dont want to change it.
I also THINK I want to try different types of bullets.

As far as a handgun goes I also have no clue what I would like. Part of me wants to start carrying. Part of me also does not. I am not a huge fan of shooting handguns, but the ones I tried with the fellow member certainly got my attention.
For now lets assume that the ideal one is a CHEAP handgun to shoot very short distance.

So i gave you a bunch of garbage info, that really cannot draw any logical conclusion and looking for advice (honestly). But there are certainly experts here and I believe an idea (or 10) will pop that I cannot even dream of yet and I will find something good :D

So thank you in advance,
Sav

If you want a long gun look into a Ruger Mini14/30, or a Springfield M1A1. The ruger will let you shoot cheap ammo and are a blast to shoot. Plus 30 pre ban mags are around. M1a1 will let you stretch your legs and shoot out past 500 if you please.

As for handguns I don't know what you define as cheap but S&W MP have range kits for decent $ and come in different calibers. Mine has been extremely reliable, durable, accurate and can be carried comfortably with the right holster. One of my best purchases by far.

What ? You didn't go with a handgun first ?
I second the M&P shield or Fullsize Fo sho ! If you can't get a glock of course ;)
For rifle.. After 7/20 i have to say mini14 too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a first handgun, I would go with a 9mm. They are 'cheap' to shoot, really they are. If you think you may want to go down the rifle category, I would recommend a .223 bolt action. Also cheap to shoot, and quite accurate with quality ammo at those distances. Might want to hop on a Ruger Ranch or Mossberg MVP while they're available. These are semi-auto. Savage Axis is a nice affordable .223 bolt action.

i like the shield, looks like there are many variations lol.

quick google search shows the mini 14 as an ok gun, but nothing crazy? a particular one said its good for 100-150 yards but even at that inaccurate when hot. Then some say all that was fixed after 2005 models.

i like the shield, looks like there are many variations lol.

quick google search shows the mini 14 as an ok gun, but nothing crazy? a particular one said its good for 100-150 yards but even at that inaccurate when hot. Then some say all that was fixed after 2005 models.

Some of the best rifles made will become inaccurate when hot. There are a few reasons why this can happen, but it's normal, especially with standard weight "pencil" barrels. They don't dissipate heat well.

Some of the best rifles made will become inaccurate when hot. There are a few reasons why this can happen, but it's normal, especially with standard weight "pencil" barrels. They don't dissipate heat well.

id love to learn to shoot far,but i am def not there yet, not i would know where to go to practice/train.

There are probably tons of these threads around.
As most of you know, I am fairly new to this. Got my Ruger 22 few months ago from a member here. I have put 1000 rounds through it already (very busy summer with racing).
I believe it is time to add gun #2 (ok maybe #3 too) in the collection.
Generous member has taken me shooting in the early summer and allowed to shoot a decent variety of guns (rifles and handguns).
I am not sure what I want to be honest. I wanted an AR but that isnt going to happen any time soon.
I THINK i may want another long rifle. Something to shoot far (well you know, far for me now may be 300+ yards). I understand that my 22lr may be cable of shooting farther now with a better scope but I just love that gun for what it is and dont want to change it.
I also THINK I want to try different types of bullets.

As far as a handgun goes I also have no clue what I would like. Part of me wants to start carrying. Part of me also does not. I am not a huge fan of shooting handguns, but the ones I tried with the fellow member certainly got my attention.
For now lets assume that the ideal one is a CHEAP handgun to shoot very short distance.

So i gave you a bunch of garbage info, that really cannot draw any logical conclusion and looking for advice (honestly). But there are certainly experts here and I believe an idea (or 10) will pop that I cannot even dream of yet and I will find something good :D

So thank you in advance,
Sav

First of all we have to look at a few factors. If you are planning on getting a handgun you want to look at the following things.
1. where will i use the gun (home, range, carry piece, all of the above)
2. If I plan on carrying do I plan on a holster or pocket carry.
3. Am I a big guy or little guy and how well can I conceal a firearm on my person.
4. what caliber am i comfy with.
5. do i want a manual safety if a semi auto
6. revoler or semi auto
7. can i buy a new glock at a gun store I saw they are on the new approved firearms roster. (NEWBIE JOKE)

answer these questions and if you have friends who shoot try their firearms and narrow it down. there are a lot of fair priced guns out there in the used market. I have bought several guns off the NES classifides and never had a bad experience.

The question of weather you want to carry on you is the tough one. It is a HUGE responsibility. you need to know where you cant carry, how to store it if you decide not to carry it, No drinking while carrying, be careful crossing state lines while carrying. Know your laws about when it is ok to use your firearm.

If it scares you carry and you worry about it just going off remember. respect the gun. always aim in a safe direction, dont put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. know what is beyond your target and if you are still worried start by carrying with an empty chamber on a semi auto.

if you have any other questions feel free to ask. also depending on your location i would be willing to let you shoot any of my handguns if you have a place to shoot them as i let my club membership lapse and havent signed up at my new club yet.

OP-

i would suggest 2 routes:

1) continue to shoot as many different firearms as possible to figure out what you like

or

2) figure out what role/purpose you are looking to address with the firearm and cartridge, then go from there. for example, do you want a cartridge to shoot 100, 300 or 500 yards? or would you rather shoot at paper indoors? how much are you willing to spend on ammo? are you recoil shy? there are a bazillion questions to consider before getting into minutia like worrying about a mini 14's accuracy.

OP-

i would suggest 2 routes:

1) continue to shoot as many different firearms as possible to figure out what you like

or

2) figure out what role/purpose you are looking to address with the firearm and cartridge, then go from there. for example, do you want a cartridge to shoot 100, 300 or 500 yards? or would you rather shoot at paper indoors? how much are you willing to spend on ammo? are you recoil shy? there are a bazillion questions to consider before getting into minutia like worrying about a mini 14's accuracy.

lets say 100-300 yards. strictly outdoors for the next one.

First of all we have to look at a few factors. If you are planning on getting a handgun you want to look at the following things.
1. where will i use the gun (home, range, carry piece, all of the above)
2. If I plan on carrying do I plan on a holster or pocket carry.
3. Am I a big guy or little guy and how well can I conceal a firearm on my person.
4. what caliber am i comfy with.
5. do i want a manual safety if a semi auto
6. revoler or semi auto
7. can i buy a new glock at a gun store I saw they are on the new approved firearms roster. (NEWBIE JOKE)

answer these questions and if you have friends who shoot try their firearms and narrow it down. there are a lot of fair priced guns out there in the used market. I have bought several guns off the NES classifides and never had a bad experience.

The question of weather you want to carry on you is the tough one. It is a HUGE responsibility. you need to know where you cant carry, how to store it if you decide not to carry it, No drinking while carrying, be careful crossing state lines while carrying. Know your laws about when it is ok to use your firearm.

If it scares you carry and you worry about it just going off remember. respect the gun. always aim in a safe direction, dont put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. know what is beyond your target and if you are still worried start by carrying with an empty chamber on a semi auto.

if you have any other questions feel free to ask. also depending on your location i would be willing to let you shoot any of my handguns if you have a place to shoot them as i let my club membership lapse and havent signed up at my new club yet.

1. where will i use the gun (home, range, carry piece, all of the above) ALL OF THE ABOVE with Range being on top, then carry, then home
2. If I plan on carrying do I plan on a holster or pocket carry. Holster Carry (not carry often yet)
3. Am I a big guy or little guy and how well can I conceal a firearm on my person. 6ft, 165 lbs (not strong person). Never concealed a firearm before
4. what caliber am i comfy with. iv shot both 9 and 40 and I felt comfortable with both shooting at standing targets taking my time
5. do i want a manual safety if a semi auto i guess?
6. revoler or semi auto not a revolver, only semi auto
7. can i buy a new glock at a gun store I saw they are on the new approved firearms roster. (NEWBIE JOKE) lol

Racing is the equivelant of burning $100 bills for no reason, all the time...

Get a c&r rifle like a mosin nagant or a SKS. They arnt making any more, so they are only going to get rarer and more expensive as time goes on. Good rifles to home your skill on (both your shooting skills and your skills of maintaining your weapons). Ammo is normally cheaper and easier to find too...

Kel-Tec+KSG.jpg

ok so for example for target shooting 100-300 yards i would say next pic your cartridge before you pick the rifle. once you get your cartridge then i would consider action: bolt vs semi auto vs. lever vs. yadda yadda

all the following are options:
1) .223/5.56 - most economical and decent performance, can be noisy. overall if you're looking for a 100-300 yard rifle you're pretty much going to want to go with a .223 or 5.56 chambering

2) .308/7.62x51 - more powerful, more recoil, has lots of ups and downs compared to .223

3) 22LR - for target shooting to 150 yards it's not bad. past ~100ish yards it drops like a turd. very cheap. low recoil, etc.

4) 9mm - can do it to 100 yards better than most think. there are many pistol caliber carbines out there, such as beretta CX4 storm, CZ scorpion, keltec sub 2k. very little blast and recoil, ammo is cheap, etc. downside is far less powerful and more bullet drop out past 100 yards. forget about getting to 300 yards reliably.

Personally I would go with .223. Don't rule out a bolt action. there are many good options out there. Ruger american ranch in 5.56 (my favorite), CZ 527, savage, remington etc. Any of these bolt guns are going to be stupid accurate and fun to shoot. If you want semi auto then its a different story I would say get an AR if you are comfortable finding one? or a mini 14 which i have a fair amount of experience with the mini and i like it. it's got quirks but it's a respectable machine.

if you want to shoot 100-300 yards then will have to either shoot with irons or drop at least $100 on an optic (or maybe $70 for a bushnell TRS 25 red dot), otherwise it's a complete waste of time if you skimp on the optic.

Last edited:
Hey Savvas, I've got a more stuff you can try...let me know when you heal up a bit...I'm not sure you're ready for a 12 gauge shotgun w/ 3" magnum slugs yet! [smile]

Sav, You're going about this the right way. There is no 'one' gun for everything. My recommendation for the shield was based on a couple of things.
1. It ticks this box - For now lets assume that the ideal one is a CHEAP handgun to shoot very short distance.
2. It's very easy to concern, especially since you're a skinny/fit guy
3. It shoots well (as long as it either has a trigger job or Apex kit)

VZ-58 or PTR-91 good centire-fire rifles for short to medium distance. Lots of aftermarket mods available, fairly common calibers, preban mags available.

Hey Savvas, I've got a more stuff you can try...let me know when you heal up a bit...I'm not sure you're ready for a 12 gauge shotgun w/ 3" magnum slugs yet! [smile]

^ my crack dealer. lol
yeah i wont be shooting anything "strong" any time soon and certainly nothing that requires me standing and lifting it to aim

ok so for example for target shooting 100-300 yards i would say next pic your cartridge before you pick the rifle. once you get your cartridge then i would consider action: bolt vs semi auto vs. lever vs. yadda yadda

all the following are options:
1) .223/5.56 - most economical and decent performance, can be noisy. overall if you're looking for a 100-300 yard rifle you're pretty much going to want to go with a .223 or 5.56 chambering

2) .308/7.62x51 - more powerful, more recoil, has lots of ups and downs compared to .223

3) 22LR - for target shooting to 150 yards it's not bad. past ~100ish yards it drops like a turd. very cheap. low recoil, etc.

4) 9mm - can do it to 100 yards better than most think. there are many pistol caliber carbines out there, such as beretta CX4 storm, CZ scorpion, keltec sub 2k. very little blast and recoil, ammo is cheap, etc. downside is far less powerful and more bullet drop out past 100 yards. forget about getting to 300 yards reliably.

Personally I would go with .223. Don't rule out a bolt action. there are many good options out there. Ruger american ranch in 5.56 (my favorite), CZ 527, savage, remington etc. Any of these bolt guns are going to be stupid accurate and fun to shoot. If you want semi auto then its a different story I would say get an AR if you are comfortable finding one? or a mini 14 which i have a fair amount of experience with the mini and i like it. it's got quirks but it's a respectable machine.

if you want to shoot 100-300 yards then will have to either shoot with irons or drop at least $100 on an optic (or maybe $70 for a bushnell TRS 25 red dot), otherwise it's a complete waste of time if you skimp on the optic.

I believe I agree. 223/5.56 with a very good scope (suggestions on scope also welcomed).
I actually like bolt action (i specifically chose the ruger 22lr to be bolt action).
so focusing on the right choise based on that ^

I have shot a Bereta storm CX indoors, fun rifle but not what I am looking for now (and i think they are a bit expensive for what they are).

Sav, You're going about this the right way. There is no 'one' gun for everything. My recommendation for the shield was based on a couple of things.
1. It ticks this box - For now lets assume that the ideal one is a CHEAP handgun to shoot very short distance.
2. It's very easy to concern, especially since you're a skinny/fit guy
3. It shoots well (as long as it either has a trigger job or Apex kit)

ok i like that, looking at classifieds now too for one.

Dead. To. Me.

You would be better off with a sharp stick or a blunt object. I truly apologize for my abrasive response. But think about it. Especially with a semi auto, I would suggest you buy the most reliable firearm you can afford, and practice as often as you can afford.

If your criteria really is cheap for close range I would suggest you consider a pump action shot gun. Practice is far less critical than with a handgun and they are very effective at close range and for home defense.

Dead. To. Me.

You would be better off with a sharp stick or a blunt object. I truly apologize for my abrasive response. But think about it. Especially with a semi auto, I would suggest you buy the most reliable firearm you can afford, and practice as often as you can afford.

If your criteria really is cheap for close range I would suggest you consider a pump action shot gun. Practice is far less critical than with a handgun and they are very effective at close range and for home defense.

eventually I want to get something decent and train, just not right now. I love the riffles right now. Just want to have a handgun as well.

OP don't rush to buy but when you do buy go quality that will last. The way things are going it may get really difficult to buy in the comming years so pick with care what you want. Get informed on models, ask a gunsmith if they break often and think about ammo for it in the future. JMHO

eventually I want to get something decent and train, just not right now. I love the riffles right now. Just want to have a handgun as well.

Fair enough. I just re-read my post and realized what a dick post it was. Sorry for being a dick. [thinking]. Truth is, you've got the bug. In a few years you will have all the guns.

It's a shame you don't like revolvers. They are so reliable and you can find them used for a good price. The nice thing about a 357 wheel gun is you can shoot 38 special for low recoil or 357 magnum for serious stopping power. And you can also get a nice, affordable lever action rifle that will use the same ammo.

The advise others have given is sound. A Sheild or an M&P or Ruger would all be good choices for first handguns. Just remember that the general rule is bigger guns are easier to shoot, have less perceived recoil. But they are harder to carry concealed.

It is great that you are getting into shooting and have some friends that have different firearms to try.

For a bolt gun in .223 Id look at the Thompson Center Predator $450-$550, Savage Axis $350-$500, Or the Mossberg Mvp $600. Iv shot all 3 The predatory and axis were more accurate But the fact that the MVP takes Ar mags is a huge plus in my book. Right now i'm saving up the money to buy the Predator In either 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm.

Fair enough. I just re-read my post and realized what a dick post it was. Sorry for being a dick. [thinking]. Truth is, you've got the bug. In a few years you will have all the guns.

It's a shame you don't like revolvers. They are so reliable and you can find them used for a good price. The nice thing about a 357 wheel gun is you can shoot 38 special for low recoil or 357 magnum for serious stopping power. And you can also get a nice, affordable lever action rifle that will use the same ammo.

The advise others have given is sound. A Sheild or an M&P or Ruger would all be good choices for first handguns. Just remember that the general rule is bigger guns are easier to shoot, have less perceived recoil. But they are harder to carry concealed.

It is great that you are getting into shooting and have some friends that have different firearms to try.

All good, no need for apologies :D

For a bolt gun in .223 Id look at the Thompson Center Predator $450-$550, Savage Axis $350-$500, Or the Mossberg Mvp $600. Iv shot all 3 The predatory and axis were more accurate But the fact that the MVP takes Ar mags is a huge plus in my book. Right now i'm saving up the money to buy the Predator In either 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm.

Good stuff. Thank for the pricing too.

Silly question because there are a million answers to, but what is a good scope for go for?
also what other mods besides a bi-pod are common/good for long distance shooting?

If you are looking at a long gun, you may want to check with the range that you shoot at. my range allows rimfire and centerfire pistol bullets for rifles only. it's more of a pistol and skeet place though.

Back
Top Bottom