• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what gun do i want next?

AR15-22 for the AR experience (only AR you can safely buy right now), A 9mm, perhaps a HK VP9, its price is fair unlike glocks. A revolver, SW model 60, or 66, 686 etc...

We can still get ARs as long as they are 22??
im sorry I sound ignorant but there are so many opinions and theories on that I just had believed that it's best to forget owning an AR, any AR, while I live in MA

I am leaving Pullman a bit disappointed.
I made a list with suggestions from here and I was going to get the one that felt the best or one with upgrades and reasonable price.
I narrowed it down to: Ruger American Ranch, Savage AXIs, or Thompson predator
they immediately told me that those guns aren't that great especially since my only use is bench shooting and no hunting. I asked to at least see them and they didn't have any in stock (I have been doing sales all my life, things made more sense why they d drive me away from those guns).
The immediate suggestions and guns they pushed for were a) Mossberg MVP 308 with a very nice Vortex viper HS LR 4x12x44 scope or b) a Remington 700 police 26" with upgraded trigger.
A) was $1757 B) was $1100
as amazing those guns are I think they are a bit overkill for me and my current skills.
They didn't seem to agree.
I may return once I have skills and a place to shoot 600+ yards or $1000+ to spend

they did have a beautiful ruger 1911 but I didn't want to get into that discussion and possibly try to be sold on something else.

I haven't read all the responses.

So you have a semi-automatic pistol (G22). What' that, .40S&W?

If you like handgun shooting, perhaps get a 9mm, or a .45. 9mm is definitely cheaper to feed.

Here are the things I'd suggest:
9mm handgun. Another Glock, or other polymer striker-fired gun. Perhaps compact or subcompact for carry.

A shotgun for home defense, shooting sports, and hunting. e.g. Rem 870

A rifle. Find an AR from a private seller in MA willing to not price gouge. Customizable to suit any needs. Get a red dot, or scope depending on your needs. Nikon P223 or M-223 are good values.

If not an AR, there are many decent bolt action rifles also chambered in 5.56/.223. Mossberg MVP, or a Savage.

A bolt-action .308 for reaching out a little further. Scope will likely cost more too. Nikon M-308 is nice.

A .38spl / .357mag revolver

Something "historical" such as a Mosin Nagant, or M1A

In Worcester, check out Pullman Arms. Great shop. A little farther south check out First Defense Firearms in Uxbridge. Also a great shop with terrific staff.

Edit - just saw your post above. Dick's would likely have the Savages and other similar class of rifles. In-stock. Millbury store is decent.

I made a list with suggestions from here and I was going to get the one that felt the best or one with upgrades and reasonable price.
they immediately told me that those guns aren't that great especially since my only use is bench shooting and no hunting. I asked to at least see them and they didn't have any in stock (I have been doing sales all my life, things made more sense why they d drive me away from those guns).
The immediate suggestions and guns they pushed for were a) Mossberg MVP 308 with a very nice Vortex viper HS LR 4x12x44 scope or b) a Remington 700 police 26" with upgraded trigger.
as amazing those guns are I think they are a bit overkill for me and my current skills.
I may return once I have skills and a place to shoot 600+ yards or $1000+ to spend

they did have a beautiful ruger 1911 but I didn't want to get into that discussion and possibly try to be sold on something else.

I would just call places around and ask if they carry the item, if you want also ask price. Then pick a place that carries it and transact. May have to try a few places, box stores are more likely to carry standard bolt guns but might not be competitive on price. (Always high on handguns, though somewhat reasonable on economy level pump shotguns from the last few times I looked for stuff)

they immediately told me that those guns aren't that great especially since my only use is bench shooting and no hunting....

I don't find their suggestions off the mark.

Honestly, what runs well in one weapon may not run well in another...

Many people recommend

http://www.hornady.com/store/5.56-NATO-75-gr-BTHP-Superformance-Match/ for 5.56
or
http://www.hornady.com/store/223-rem-75-gr-bthp-match/ for .223

I tend to be a quantity guy, rather than quality when it comes to 5.56 so am not the best about high quality ammo.

I'd try many different ones and see what works well.

Ohhh so many variables to consider. Every gun and ammo combination is different. First you need to define "what kind" of rifle (e.g. AR, bolt rifle, etc.) are you interested in? What are you really going to do with it? Upright, mobile action shooting (google 3-gun), hunting? Hunting b/c you're going to carry it up a mountain? Or just from the car to a blind? Hunt what? Are you going to take practical/tactical training classes and rig it out all tacticool with lights and lasers? Or just shoot it from a benchrest at a very stationary piece of paper, hoping to make tiny holes right next to one another?

Once you figure out what you're going to do with it, you then choose the best style, weight, barrel profile, etc. to suit your needs. You won't want a 24" bull barrel for 3-gun or tactical entry. You don't want a 14.5" lightweight pencil barrel for long range sessions. Optics are a subject unto their own. Open/peep sights, red/green dot optics (magnified or no), and all sorts of scopes ranging from low-power non-adjustable, to variable length and high-power scopes that often cost more than the gun they're on. Again - let your actual needs drive your research and buying. Don't just get any old gun and then figure out it's the wrong thing for what you want to do.

Once you get the gun that suits your needs, you move on to the next step. "Dialing it in."

It'll be up to you to figure out what ammo a) actually works best in your gun, b) what you can actually afford to feed it and accept the results, and c) just run & gun "plinking" ammo. Any/all must run in the gun (cycle the action if semi-auto), feed and fire reliably. Any ammo that doesn't goes off the list.

On a 5.56 or .223 caliber rifle, they come in different twist rates, ranging from 1:7 (in theory bullet spins one full rotation every 7"), 1:8, 1:9, and 1:12. You don't see 1:12 much any more, as it won't stabilize the more common, heavier bullets. You'll want a faster twist rate (1:7) if you intend to fire mostly match grade 68 or 77 grain bullets to make small groups on paper. If you're just going to shoot 55gr or 62gr fmj at metal plates, you could go with the more-common 1:9. My AR is chambered in .223 Wylde and has a 1:8 twist rate. It shoots almost everything in both 5.56 and .223 very accurately. I tried well over a dozen factory loads. All group less than 2". 55gr vmax is <1" 53gr Superformance Varmint is < .75" if I do my job.

The fact that they were pushing an MVP over any if the 3 you listed means they wanted the sale that day. The MVP is cool but the accuracy is horrible. 2-3 moa is common with them. The 3 guns you were looking for are all sub Moa rifles. For a bench gun why would you want a gun that does shoot at least 1 moa. Hate to say it but Dicks sporting goods has both the Ruger and the savage. Not sure what shops you have that will carry the Thompson center but of the 3 I'd go Thompson than savage than Ruger. All are awesome but the fact that Ruger help Ted Kennedy create the orginal assault weapon ban turns me off from them.

We can still get ARs as long as they are 22??
im sorry I sound ignorant but there are so many opinions and theories on that I just had believed that it's best to forget owning an AR, any AR, while I live in MA

Yes you can. I bought the S&W M&P 15-22 sport a few weeks ago (still selling these in MA). Its an AR pretty much, but it is a .22 cal that is rimfire (makes it Mass Legal for now until the queen decides to change it). Hopefully someday i can de-Massify it.

Last edited:
The fact that they were pushing an MVP over any if the 3 you listed means they wanted the sale that day. The MVP is cool but the accuracy is horrible. 2-3 moa is common with them. The 3 guns you were looking for are all sub Moa rifles. For a bench gun why would you want a gun that does shoot at least 1 moa. Hate to say it but Dicks sporting goods has both the Ruger and the savage. Not sure what shops you have that will carry the Thompson center but of the 3 I'd go Thompson than savage than Ruger. All are awesome but the fact that Ruger help Ted Kennedy create the orginal assault weapon ban turns me off from them.

that is how i felt. I didnt know that gun before getting there, it looked cool and it had a bipod and a good scope on, but it wasnt what I went in for.
It is what it is.
The Police 700 also felt like an amazing piece of firearm.

that is how i felt. I didnt know that gun before getting there, it looked cool and it had a bipod and a good scope on, but it wasnt what I went in for.
It is what it is.
The Police 700 also felt like an amazing piece of firearm.

The 700 is a great gun. Has a lot of aftermarket parts. Bipods and scopes are a way to cheaply increase profit on a firearm. There's more markup on the accessories then on the guns them self.
The fit and finish on the MVP is just as bad as their accuracy. If the gun was in the same price range as the savage or the Ruger id consider one just for the magazine compatibility but with what I see most MVP's selling for I'd pass. A lot of better options for less money.

Something "historical" such as a Mosin Nagant, or M1A

there's nothing historical about an M1A, its a commercial rifle not a military one. Its basically the AR15 equivalent of the M14 - the AR15 is the semi-auto commercial version of the military M16 and the M1A is the semi-auto commercial version of the military M14. Neither saw military service.

If you want historical, you should do what I said days ago and order an M1 Garand from the CMP. Those are actual historical rifles that came directly from the US military.

there's nothing historical about an M1A, its a commercial rifle not a military one. Its basically the AR15 equivalent of the M14 - the AR15 is the semi-auto commercial version of the military M16 and the M1A is the semi-auto commercial version of the military M14. Neither saw military service.

If you want historical, you should do what I said days ago and order an M1 Garand from the CMP. Those are actual historical rifles that came directly from the US military.

My bad. That's actually what I had in mind, but not what I typed.

Finally made it to the range today.
Started to dial in the Savage @ 100yards. The TullAmmo was hard. Used all 20 rounds and hit within the 6" target ONCE. Then brought the American Eagle. Given the scope was somewhat more dialed in I started hitting much better. After 20 rounds I let the riffle cool down a bit and took out the ruger 22lr. Put 100 rounds all on steel plates (6" and 8") at 100 yards. The ruger is incredibly consistent and I like the scope on it. I had 20 rounds of 223 left (AE) and I put them through. I hit the 6" steel target 11 out of 20 at 100 yards. Put another 100 rounds through the ruger and packed and went home. Overall a good day.

IMG_20160911_162357_352.jpg I added the Ruger mini-14 last month, had a scope kicking around so I installed it, and have since added a 6" Accu-strut on the tapered barrel to deal with heat distortion. I can constantly hit 8" steel at 100 yards. I'm really enjoying shooting this rifle.

Nice. Iv had great luck with Hornady American gunner for accuracy. But iv been lucky with my 223 and can hit the steel 12x12 at 300 90% of the time with wolf and tula.

I now have wolf, Tula, American eagle and federal.
We will see how the Tula does on the next trip. It's unfair to judge it on today's performance.
Another thing I noticed is the 223 gets way hotter than the 22. The 22 barely gets warm after 100 rounds. The 223 gets noticeably hot after 10 or so rounds.

We will see how the Tula does on the next trip. It's unfair to judge it on today's performance.
Another thing I noticed is the 223 gets way hotter than the 22. The 22 barely gets warm after 100 rounds. The 223 gets noticeably hot after 10 or so rounds.

If your looking for the best groups. Give the barrel time to cool before each group. As the barrel gets hot it
expands and as it expands so do your groups. Tula and wolf are cheap fun ammo. Don't plan on getting good groups with it.

If you look at a powder load on a .22LR and a .223 round, there's a lot more in the .223

More bang, more velocity, more heat transfer from the expanding powder load to the barrel. Same reason why I'm OK with foam earpro shooting .22 outside, but want much better earpro shooting my AR, and double earpro with .50

If you look at a powder load on a .22LR and a .223 round, there's a lot more in the .223

More bang, more velocity, more heat transfer from the expanding powder load to the barrel. Same reason why I'm OK with foam earpro shooting .22 outside, but want much better earpro shooting my AR, and double earpro with .50

oh absolutely! it was just a little fun fact that i noticed.
My friend shot something that I believe is 30-06 (?) or something like that caliper. hes a big athletic dude. 15 rounds and his shoulder was bruised. He offered me to shoot it. With a broken shoulder I opted out until next time. He also shot a very nice hunting riffle that you fill up and push the "bullet" in it. I tried to shoots with that. at 100 yards, on a riffle I never shot before I was bullseye within 1" both times. Needless to say that thing is DIALED and accurate as hell.
Got to shoot a S&W .40 that he uses for carry. I was not impressed, nor bored.

oh absolutely! it was just a little fun fact that i noticed.
My friend shot something that I believe is 30-06 (?) or something like that caliper. hes a big athletic dude. 15 rounds and his shoulder was bruised. He offered me to shoot it. With a broken shoulder I opted out until next time. He also shot a very nice hunting riffle that you fill up and push the "bullet" in it. I tried to shoots with that. at 100 yards, on a riffle I never shot before I was bullseye within 1" both times. Needless to say that thing is DIALED and accurate as hell.
Got to shoot a S&W .40 that he uses for carry. I was not impressed, nor bored.

That fill up and push the bullet in is a muzzle loader. For hunting deer in the state you can't use rifles archery, shotgun and muzzleloader are your only choices. I love my muzzleloader. Out too 200 yards I can hold 4" groups.

Personally a .40 is the hardest caliber handgun to shoot. Most are built on a 9mm platform so they have more snap to them. The only .40 I like to shoot is the HK Usp .40. That gun was actually built around the .40.

That fill up and push the bullet in is a muzzle loader. For hunting deer in the state you can't use rifles archery, shotgun and muzzleloader are your only choices. I love my muzzleloader. Out too 200 yards I can hold 4" groups.

Personally a .40 is the hardest caliber handgun to shoot. Most are built on a 9mm platform so they have more snap to them. The only .40 I like to shoot is the HK Usp .40. That gun was actually built around the .40.
Yeah he said that is his most accurate gun. I was very impressed. I don't hunt and I can see it getting boring very quick to do this for every single round but I do see the benefits for hunting.

I shot hit a Ruger 1911 on 40 (maybe it was 45?) with 5" barrel and I loved that gun. I'm gonna own one one day

Back
Top Bottom