• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what gun do i want next?

All good, no need for apologies :D

Good stuff. Thank for the pricing too.

Silly question because there are a million answers to, but what is a good scope for go for?
also what other mods besides a bi-pod are common/good for long distance shooting?

If your interested in a .223 for the money it's hard to beat the Bushnell drop zone 223. I have the 3x9 version on my AR and I love it. Very clear glass. And as long as your shooting 55 grain bullets the turret will compensate for yardage from 30-300 yards. It's also a FFP scope so the reticle doesn't get bigger as you magnify the scope. I zero in at 100 and I'm good out to 350. I also have a vortex crossfire 6x24 on my 6.5 Grendel but I was must more impressed with the bushnell then the vortex.

Also you might consider looking into a 17HMR. No recoil what so ever and will shoot 1" groups out to 200 yards. Mine is my most shot rifle I own. I shoot mine out to 300 yards on a calm day and even a day with wind I can hit the steel plate at 300 yards with ease. Ammo is on the cheap end $10-$15 per 50.

Last edited:
Get a Service Grade Garand from CMP. YOu can shoot that out to 600yds if you like and its an amazing piece of history.

If you are looking at a long gun, you may want to check with the range that you shoot at. my range allows rimfire and centerfire pistol bullets for rifles only. it's more of a pistol and skeet place though.

556 is a pistol round....[smile]

My 2c is everyone should start with a pistol, rifle and shotgun.

Pick your calibers and go from there. Prior to 7-20, I would have said to get a Ruger 10-22 (or bolt action equivalent), a 9MM pistol (Glock 19 or M&P shield with Apex trigger work) and a Remington 870 pump shotgun. Then add an AR-15 in .223/5/56, a second pistol in .22 to practice.

before you add any more firearms, buy magazines, optics and a shit-ton of ammunition. If you can afford to race, you can afford to buy more guns [smile]

For a bolt gun in .223 Id look at the Thompson Center Predator $450-$550, Savage Axis $350-$500, Or the Mossberg Mvp $600. Iv shot all 3 The predatory and axis were more accurate But the fact that the MVP takes Ar mags is a huge plus in my book. Right now i'm saving up the money to buy the Predator In either 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm.

i had a mossberg mvp for approx 1 week and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. it looked good from 20 ft away. up close the action felt like a pile of trash and the stock appeared to have contracted syphilis. typical mossberg "quality" or lack thereof. while the AR mag compability is sort of cool, I have trouble believing that the bolt design will survive extensive use. a tiny little shred of steel strips the round out of magazine. no way is that going to hold up.

7-Mossberg-MVP.jpg

for a bolt .223 i would go with either ruger, savage, CZ or tikka. i cannot say enough good things about the ruger ranch 5.56. it has performed so well i'm really just impressed by it. Ruger finally seems to be able to make a good barrel. my next acquisition will hopefully be a ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. my experiences with savage rifles has also been very positive although they do not feel particularly refined.

Last edited:
I am very happy with my ruger 22 so buying another ruger (especially since there are plenty of votes of confidence) is very likely.

What at are the differences between 223 and 5.56?
also what do I look for when buying a scope?

It it seems like guns are very much like bikes.
There perfect one does not exist and even the big names have come out with some shit models.
Also the accessories are endless for both.
Conclusion: I need to win the power ball... Twice!

Also since I don't have a specific store go shopping at?
i live in Worcester, I consider Gun Patrol too expensive and them taking advantage of their "monopoly"
willing to drive to support a good to our community store And/Or save some $

My 2c is everyone should start with a pistol, rifle and shotgun.

Pick your calibers and go from there. Prior to 7-20, I would have said to get a Ruger 10-22 (or bolt action equivalent), a 9MM pistol (Glock 19 or M&P shield with Apex trigger work) and a Remington 870 pump shotgun. Then add an AR-15 in .223/5/56, a second pistol in .22 to practice.

before you add any more firearms, buy magazines, optics and a shit-ton of ammunition. If you can afford to race, you can afford to buy more guns [smile]

Well I guess that means I have to go buy a rifle now .... got plenty of pistols and a couple of shotguns but no rifle.

I would agree that an 870 is a great addition to anyone's collection, and given that a decent shape used wingmaster can be had for under 300 its not that hard to find the budget room.

I would also agree that stacking up ammo is a good step as (except for when moving it all to a new apartment) I have never been unhappy with having plenty on hand.

Glock 19 and Shield 9 mm both make decent shootable guns while also being concealable.

I am very happy with my ruger 22 so buying another ruger (especially since there are plenty of votes of confidence) is very likely.

What at are the differences between 223 and 5.56?
also what do I look for when buying a scope?

It it seems like guns are very much like bikes.
There perfect one does not exist and even the big names have come out with some shit models.
Also the accessories are endless for both.
Conclusion: I need to win the power ball... Twice!

Sav - If you are considering .223, get something chambered in 5.56. For *most* intents and purposes it is the same round, but there are some minor differences. It is always safe to shoot .223 in a firearm chambered for 5.56, but technically not the other way around (but it's probably fine). .223 and 5.56 are slightly different specifications for a very similar round.

There are 2 ways to approach this problem.

Define what you want to do, and we can help you pick a firearm.

- or -

Pick a firearm, we'll tell you what to do with it.

You have a rifle now. If you want to get more into rifles at distance that's fine. If you want to try something different, that's fine as well.

If you aren't planning on carrying and want a handgun, look at the "full size" firearms and stay out of the compact and sub-compact. A "full size" will allow you to grip it better, and give less felt recoil (mostly).

Regardless, just don't cover it in tape :).

I'm leaning heavily towards some 223 (I don't even know what a 5.56 is or what the differences are).
I have shot a 223 and liked it a lot.
Now the question is which 223. Seems like there are some good suggestions on here. Gotta do some shopping around too. Also what scope with it.

As far as handgun, I lean a lot towards the 1911 because it felt great to hold and shoot.

One of the best "discussions" on the difference in 5.56 and .223 that I've seen.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

It's very long, very thorough, and very technical.

The summary at the end is...

Summary: Buy a well-made rifle with the chamber you want based on your needs, shoot the right ammo in it, and have fun. For most people, especially those not sure of what type of shooting they’ll be doing, a 5.56mm chamber is the best all-around choice. It is my fervent hope that this article has helped you better understand the topic at hand.

One of the best "discussions" on the difference in 5.56 and .223 that I've seen.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

It's very long, very thorough, and very technical.

The summary at the end is...

Great article. Answered majority of my questions.
I guess I need one more answer before I make a definite decision (although I will probably own both a 223 and 5.56 at some point in my life, just trying to decide which one I will get NOW)
what are the good brands of ammo for each?

Great article. Answered majority of my questions.
I guess I need one more answer before I make a definite decision (although I will probably own both a 223 and 5.56 at some point in my life, just trying to decide which one I will get NOW)
what are the good brands of ammo for each?

Honestly, what runs well in one weapon may not run well in another...

Many people recommend

http://www.hornady.com/store/5.56-NATO-75-gr-BTHP-Superformance-Match/ for 5.56
or
http://www.hornady.com/store/223-rem-75-gr-bthp-match/ for .223

I tend to be a quantity guy, rather than quality when it comes to 5.56 so am not the best about high quality ammo.

I'd try many different ones and see what works well.

i also want to say a huge thank you all who "waste" their time on educating me.
I read some of my posts and see how generic they can be.
People come and ask me like what is the best bike or what exhaust is best blah blah and its so similar with guns.
Lots of trial and error and personal experience i guess needed for the proper answer.

AR15-22 for the AR experience (only AR you can safely buy right now), A 9mm, perhaps a HK VP9, its price is fair unlike glocks. A revolver, SW model 60, or 66, 686 etc...

I'm leaning heavily towards some 223 (I don't even know what a 5.56 is or what the differences are).
I have shot a 223 and liked it a lot.
Now the question is which 223. Seems like there are some good suggestions on here. Gotta do some shopping around too. Also what scope with it.

As far as handgun, I lean a lot towards the 1911 because it felt great to hold and shoot.

How can you be "leaning heavily" toward something when you don't even know what it is, or what the alternatives are? Sorry but I'm a big fan of doing your own research, especially when it's so easy to do.

Anyway, go ahead and get a 223. The rest of us need the dual chambered barrels.

Don't care what you want next [rofl] What I want next is either a good lever gun or a .454/.500 hand cannon again. God I miss my .500 S&W.

An SKS is a great rifle and its not going to break the bank. i have ar's , ak's and many others but my sks and 10/22 seem to always go to the range with me.

An SKS is a great rifle and its not going to break the bank. i have ar's , ak's and many others but my sks and 10/22 seem to always go to the range with me.

^this. for example a Yugo M59/66 is a fantastic rifle. much more accurate than most appreciate. and the power, performance and cost of 7.62x39 cartridge doesn't get much better. the SKS has bolt hold open and honestly i think it's way more pleasant to operate than most AK pattern rifles.

^this. for example a Yugo M59/66 is a fantastic rifle. much more accurate than most appreciate. and the power, performance and cost of 7.62x39 cartridge doesn't get much better. the SKS has bolt hold open and honestly i think it's way more pleasant to operate than most AK pattern rifles.

isnt 7.62 almost double the price of 223/5.56?

no. 1000rds of Golden Tiger is $250 (best 7.62x39) and 1000 rds of wolf gold is $320ish which is good brass cased 223. Steel cased 223 is about the same price as 7.62x39 for Tula or Wolf but the Tula sucks so if you do get steel 223, go with wolf.

And typically the shorthand 7.62 refers to 7.62x51 NATO (aka 308 winchester) not 7.62x39.

7.62 mm is just a caliber, not a cartridge.

7.62x39 is a russian cartridge. in steel case variety it is cheap. can be found for 25c per round. considered an "intermediate cartridge" although this is subjective. recoil is pleasant. blast isn't too bad. overall good stuff especially now that Hornady has some steel cased Vmax offerings out there for situations where might need the extra accuracy.

you might be thinking of 7.62x51 (NATO version of 308 win). fantastic cartridge. i love it. based on what you've described however, i would steer clear of the 308 chambering. a bit pricier although some cheaper ammo can be had for 50c (e.g. ZQI 147gr FMJ) but the 308 has more blast, power and isn't really necessary for range fun out to 300 yards. i use it as a 300+ cartridge or something where you need the extra power. for me the 308 is the upper end of a cartridge that I enjoy shooting. chamberings above 308 I find to be sort of annoying in terms of blast and recoil. maybe i'm just a giant girly man....if so at least i'm willing to admit it.

two of the more accurate commercial loads I've found in 7.62x39:

100 yards, 5-10 mph cross wind, 16" barrel, 1:9.5" twist; shooting on table with sandbag (not in a rest).

MFS (Hungarian) 123gr FMJ zinc plated steel case; 6 shot group

IMG_3450.jpg

Hornady SST 123gr FMJ Vmax bullet; 7 shot group

IMG_3452.jpg

if you end up wanting to get into 7.62x39, consider an SKS. the Yugo M59/66 can be had for around $400. will have to spend a few hours removing cosmoline but it's more than worth it. great rifle especially for a new shooter. i'm loyal to top gun supply but the SKS can be found many places.
http://www.topgunsupply.com/yugoslavian-sks-rifle-7.62x39mm-grade-a.html

Last edited:
If I were in ops shoes, I would make sure that I would purchase a Mini14 and a reputable centerfire pistol of some kind. A Glock in 9mm, MP9, VP9, SR9 etc, probably in that order.

Back
Top Bottom