What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Nothing wrong with a Harris. There are a lot of feature-rich bipods out there that someone may or may not need/want given the application, but still nothing wrong with a Harris. They are stable enough, they deploy/stow fast and without using fine motor skills, they are light, there are different feet options, and you can set them up for any kind of mounting platform available...and they're $100. I keep a Harris in my bag for backup or when I need a shorter stance or need to deploy/stow the legs quickly.

Ok, I will give Harris another look.
The Magpul looks great.
But now I will do some research on the Javelin. Looks like an interesting concept.

The Magpul looks great.
But now I will do some research on the Javelin. Looks like an interesting concept.
what kind of stock are you running that can't be drilled out for a 2nd mounting point for a pic rail or arca?

MDT makes a sling swivel Ckye Pod as well.

The Magpul looks great.
The Harris SBRM 6"-9" is my favorite. If you do try one and don't like it I'll buy it off you

Any ranges over 600 yards in northern New England?
I have not been there yet. But i know the guy that owns the range. I plan on going up this spring to check it out.

If your still in the research phase give Axis a look as well. They are very well made. Expensive though.
Do you have a website. All my searches lead me to bipods for Savage Axis.

Some note ... I found this one (unrelated to what you mentioned). Adding it to my research list, although the "tactical" and "special forces" turn me off a little.

Last edited:
Any ranges over 600 yards in northern New England?
While not "northern" NE, Granby has a 1K range, they managed to re-open it after a few years of bullsh*t from a neighbor.

Granby is a great club. Although their membership prices are going up. I remember the $75 days. But, I don't mind paying.

Do you have a website. All mu searches lead me to bipods for Savage Axis.

Some note ... I found this one (unrelated to what you mentioned). Adding it to my research list, although the "tactical" and "special forces" turn me off a little.

Dub! My bad. I had Axis on the brain. It’s Atlas. I have a PSR model that has been rock solid.

Any recommendations for a good sling stud bipod?

I don't care about price, I care about quality.

Unfortunately the rifle has one stud, so I can't replace it with a rail. I saw some adapters for a single stud but I don't trust they will hold. Maybe they will? Recommendations?
Maybe this is a good one? (ACCU-TAC Sling Stud Rail Adapter For Bipod SSRA-200 Color: Flat Black, Length: 2.8 in, Weight: 0.5 oz, $3.50 Off w/ Free Shipping)

For a single sling stud, looks like the Magpul is the only game in town (I refuse to buy a Harris).
What stock are you running? Like @MC56 said I would just install another bolt and put a pic rail on it, this will open up your possibilities tremendously. It's extremely easy to do just need to take stock off and correct drill bit and paddle bit.

As far as bipods if you don't care about cost I would look at the Atlas Cal, Thunderbeast, or Ckye Pod. I personally prefer a bipod that does NOT have can't or one in which it can be disabled.

Ethan Allen? I don't believe so. It's for military personnel. If you have military credentials i hear you can use the range. There have been CMP matches there in years past.
Ethan Allen has a 600 yard range. Vermont Rifle & Pistol practices and holds high power matches there, and as you mention the CMP holds matches there. Other than that, yes- a military range used by the Vermont Guard as well as by the 10th Mountain Division.

The CMP Ethan Allen matches are every September. I've made every match since they started and usually come home with one to three medals from various events. During these matches, there's an excellent class available for anyone interested in service rifle shooting. They provide well sorted RRA National Match AR's as well as the ammo.

Ethan Allen has a 600 yard range. Vermont Rifle & Pistol practices and holds high power matches there, and as you mention the CMP holds matches there. Other than that, yes- a military range used by the Vermont Guard as well as by the 10th Mountain Division.

The CMP Ethan Allen matches are every September. I've made every match since they started and usually come home with one to three medals from various events. During these matches, there's an excellent class available for anyone interested in service rifle shooting. They provide well sorted RRA National Match AR's as well as the ammo.

My wife grew up in Jericho and you can hear Ethan Allen from her former home. They train on mini-guns at Ethan Allen at times and from a distance, they sound like cows mooing.

My wife grew up in Jericho and you can hear Ethan Allen from her former home. They train on mini-guns at Ethan Allen at times and from a distance, they sound like cows mooing.
My wife loves coming along for the matches and we always catch a meal at the Jericho Tavern.

LOL I imagine the mini guns do sound like a cow at distance. Up close and personal they sound like a foghorn from hell. First time I heard one while at a match I was thinking WFT is that? Some sort of warning horn? LOL, nope.

I remember the Vermont State Championship Memorial Day weekend matches back 10-15 years ago at CEATS (Camp Ethan Allen Training Site). You'd have to get your money and SR-1 card in ahead of time in order to be sure to get in the match.
It ain't like that anymore.
Beautiful range.

I remember the Vermont State Championship Memorial Day weekend matches back 10-15 years ago at CEATS (Camp Ethan Allen Training Site). You'd have to get your money and SR-1 card in ahead of time in order to be sure to get in the match.
It ain't like that anymore.
Beautiful range.
NewEnglandCMPGames-300x182.jpg

Definitely a beautiful range. I miss being able to camp up the hill from the chapel. The Mountain Warfare School was recently built there. That's my fat ass sitting on the stool and scoring- pic on the CMP website for the New England Games. Last September's match had insane monsoon level rain and I was drenched almost every day. Normally the weather is gorgeous.

Any recommendations for a good sling stud bipod?

I don't care about price, I care about quality.

Unfortunately the rifle has one stud, so I can't replace it with a rail. I saw some adapters for a single stud but I don't trust they will hold. Maybe they will? Recommendations?
Maybe this is a good one? (ACCU-TAC Sling Stud Rail Adapter For Bipod SSRA-200 Color: Flat Black, Length: 2.8 in, Weight: 0.5 oz, $3.50 Off w/ Free Shipping)

For a single sling stud, looks like the Magpul is the only game in town (I refuse to buy a Harris).

If you want to spend money

They have the sling stud attachment options

NewEnglandCMPGames-300x182.jpg

Definitely a beautiful range. I miss being able to camp up the hill from the chapel. The Mountain Warfare School was recently built there. That's my fat ass sitting on the stool and scoring- pic on the CMP website for the New England Games. Last September's match had insane monsoon level rain and I was drenched almost every day. Normally the weather is gorgeous.
I've got a picture somewhere on my computer of our crew from Maine that went over for Memorial Day. It's like 20 guys. NH and MA had about the same number. It was a big deal.
I remember the base commander that made us wear Kevlar helmets down in the pits with the old cantilever frames.

Well the BOG is on the way. If I don’t like it they will get it back.

I spent the day teaching a friend’s 8 & 15 year old sons how to shoot pistol & rifle. I stand by my assertion that immigrants from communist countries make some of our best and most responsible citizens.

I had the 8 yr old working the dueling tree at 100 with the 10/22 and the older kid at 400 with the Savage 12 though he really wanted to spend more time with pistols.

Last edited:
If we're spending your money, I've heard great things about the Spartan products
I think Javelin is out.

What I love: if you have 2 bipods, let's say one short and one long, you can carry both and quickly switch to shoot seating or standing. You can also use the same bipod for several rifles.

But ... then I noticed their long bipod legs are $130 each and they don't come with the bipod body, so the only way to do this is to screw them into the existing bipod, replacing the shorter legs. That takes too long, can't switch on the fly. Big negative.

I ordered an adapter to turn the sling stud into a rail so I can increase my options.

Back
Top Bottom