• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which current production revolver for carry?

Which current production revolver for carry?

• S&W 638

• S&W 642

• S&W 360 PD

• Ruger LCR 357

• Ruger LCR 38

• Other (Charter, Taurus, ...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
New Smith triggers are 14lbs ? I’m so screwed….
Unfortunately the new J frames are noticeably heavier then the LCR's. You can do a trigger job to smooth them up. Also springs and an extended firing pin do wonders to bring the trigger pull weight down and not lose reliability.

But that is a hassle for one who just wants a gun out of the box > insert reason for that here.

And it still wont fix the painful recoil. When you are that close to the edge of shootability/comfort the extra few ounces do make a difference. So does having a "tamer grip" that absorbs the recoil compared to an aluminum or scandium frame punching your hand every shot.

Dollar for dollar out of the box the LCR in .357 is just a more pleasant gun to run if you stick to the list on the poll.

Still waiting on the unicorn carry gun, a DA/SA with a factory 10 lb long double and then a 3 lb single with a short sweet crisp reset.
You can get something like that on a CZ, but you’ll have to use some aftermarket parts from Cajun or CZ Custom.

I just got on their wait list to send in my CZ-75B for slide milling and a carry package.

You can probably do the same with a SIG P series gun, but again it will require aftermarket mods.

You can always make a statement. Nothing like the Heller commemorative 442.

smith-wesson-442-2-38-special-caliber-revolver-limited-edition-d-c-vs-heller-model-new-pr11915.jpg

Just looked at the Kimber K6S. It looks very nice. Too heavy for pocket carry. Walking the dog around the block this summer with that in my pocket, and my shorts would be down to my ankles.

Hopefully, they will come out with an alloy frame at least. If they could do that and keep costs the same, it might be a strong contender for me.
It's 23 oz. with a 6 round cylinder. A little bit of weight is a good thing, especially if you carry IWB with the right holster. You also have the option of DA only if you don't want a hammer and feel compelled to stuff in your shorts pocket. Never really understood the pocket carry thing but that's just me. Not inexpensive but you get what you pay for right out of the box. Good luck in your quest....

k6sdasa2in_catprofileleft.png

SPECIFICATIONS​

• Height (inches): 4.46
  • Weight (ounces) with empty cylinder: 23
  • Length (inches): 6.62
  • Width (inches): 1.39

• Cylinder capacity: 6

• Action: DA/SA

FRAME​

• Material: Stainless steel
  • Finish: Engraved over Brushed Stainless
  • Serrated backstrap

BARREL​

• Length (inches): 2
  • Material: Stainless steel
  • Finish: Engraved over Brushed Stainless

SIGHTS​

• White 3-Dot
  • Radius (inches): 4.1

GRIPS​

• Walnut Boot Grip
  • Diamond Checkering

TRIGGER​

• Non-stacking
  • Double Action Factory setting (approx. pounds): 9.5 - 11.5
  • Single Action Factory setting (approx. pounds): 3.25 - 4.25

Picture a typical pair of gym shorts one would wear on a walk in warm weather. A pair of keys and chapstick are getting heavy.
View attachment 750251
That's kind of my point - there's no support. I know it's a comfort thing and I get that, but even a snubbie (any snubbie) must look like a brick in a pair of gym shorts like that...

That's kind of my point - there's no support. I know it's a comfort thing and I get that, but even a snubbie (any snubbie) must look like a brick in a pair of gym shorts like that...
Yes.

There are plenty of light, comfortable shorts that use a belt. Gym shorts s*ck. Even keys are uncomfortable.

I carry a 442 with a trigger job done by Dave Santurri, can barely feel it’s there sometimes. Had a 340sc but sold it. Should have kept it so I had the option of shooting .357 mag. You live and learn though.
Does he replace springs as part of the trigger job or is it stock springs with stone/polish on all surfaces ? I've replaced springs with decent results...curious what the Pro's do.

The Hilary hole is the lock that Smith started putting on all revolvers when slick willy and Hillary the horrible were in the white house. The hole is just above the cylinder latch and the guns come with a key to lock or unlock the action. There was worry by the worry worts in the gun community back then (and some are still hanging on) that recoil would lock the gun when you really needed it. I have 2 Smith guns with Hillary holes.....shoot them alot........and by alot I mean ALOT not 2 times a month like most gun owners think is alot.......I shoot a few times a week.....and my s and w revolvers have never locked on me and I shoot alot of hot loads.

View attachment 613587
Some people have been known to disable that ridiculous thing....not that I would ever do such a thing...but I've read about it on the internet 😐

Smith 686/7 with a 4” barrel, or, if you can swing it, Manurhin MR73 gendarmerie. If you get one of those, you’re pretty much revolver top of the food chain.

But when you use it in a self defense scenario and the DA finds out you 'customized your gun with a hair trigger' you fina get buried.
That's never been the case unless you have an un-intentional discharge.

Trigger modifications: smoothness and pull weight... won't get you in trouble as long as you can justify pulling the trigger and hit what you intend on hitting.

What does this mean?

His feeling is that gunsmithing work you've had performed on your firearm could be an indicator, to a DA and a jury, of some intent to make your piece more deadly, meaning you've got an intent to do injury, and therefore would lead to a more serious charge.

I don't think he's correct, nor do most other NESers. It's the same pantshitting mindset that says you shouldn't carry your own reloads in your CCW. I've never understood that, either.

His feeling is that gunsmithing work you've had performed on your firearm could be an indicator, to a DA and a jury, of some intent to make your piece more deadly, meaning you've got an intent to do injury, and therefore would lead to a more serious charge.

I don't think he's correct, nor do most other NESers. It's the same pantshitting mindset that says you shouldn't carry your own reloads in your CCW. I've never understood that, either.
The other argument that DA's have made is that your gun had a "hair trigger" and that you accidentally shot someone. That was the argument used against a Miami cop decades back. The DA claimed that the officer cocked his revolver and accidentally shot the perp. The officer was convicted of manslaughter, Ayoob says falsely. Florida v. Luis Alvarez

Last edited:
I have a nickel Smith model 49. Light enough to iwb carry and heavy enough to mitigate recoil. The nickel front sight is easy to find quickly and it handles.38 +p ammo with ease.

@Coyote33

Check this out... Nice price too! Sorry for the giant photo - couldn't crop it down to size.

Introducing the all new K6xs Carry, light-weight Revolver from Kimber

The K6xs™ is an extra small, ultra-lightweight revolver with all the features of its larger framed sibling the K6s™. The K6xs™ uses the same lightweight, non-stacking trigger system from the K6s™. Also features a fluted glass-bead finish cylinder and barrel slot cut to further lighten the K6xs™ for the perfect carry weight. The big news for Kimber’s K6s™ line is the addition of the K6xs™. Not only is it the lightest K6s ever, it offers something others in its category don’t: six-round capacity. Built specifically for concealed carry and chambered in .38 SPL +P, the aluminum alloy frame and fluted cylinder keep the revolver’s total weight under a pound (15.9 ounces). The K6xs™ wears a silver KimPro II finish on the frame and a glass-bead finish on the 2-inch, stainless-steel barrel. The Hogue rubber Cobblestone grips with finger grooves make it comfortable to shoot.​
proxy
Ultra Light-Weight (15.9 Ounces)

Last edited:
I was thinking I'd get the 642, or maybe even 637, but this new Kimber is interesting. I'd like to compare how they feel next to each other. Might have to try a Cabela's or Kittery some time this summer. I got something non-revolver to hold me over in the meantime.

I was thinking I'd get the 642, or maybe even 637, but this new Kimber is interesting. I'd like to compare how they feel next to each other. Might have to try a Cabela's or Kittery some time this summer. I got something non-revolver to hold me over in the meantime.
It’s been a year. Pull the trigger or pull out!

Back
Top Bottom