• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do we have an ammo shortage?

Why does everyone keep saying there is an ammo shortage ?

Do you guys shop anywhere other than WalMart,Dicks and 4Seasons ?

Yes, and even the gun shops up here are saying they just can't get their hands on the stuff. I have not found .38spl in months and 9mm is very hit or miss. On the plus side, I was able to pick up 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 at Riley's for $225 last week.

Why does everyone keep saying there is an ammo shortage ?

Do you guys shop anywhere other than WalMart,Dicks and 4Seasons ?

Have you tried to buy handgun ammo lately? I waited 8 months for a specific brand I wanted this year. And even common stuff like WWB 9mm until recently was rationed at many stores.
It's getting a bit better now, but it's nowhere near back to normal.

At the Marlboro show last month, a case of FMJ 9mm was selling for the same price as .223 [frown]

Then he could just ask why ammo prices have more than doubled.

That is the better question,and makes sense.

People stopped buying 7.62x39,the price has gone down about $75.00 in the past 2-3 months..I passed on GT for $225 at the last show,I'll wait for $175 and buy a few more cases..If everybody would just quit paying the insane prices,they will come down.

The only reason 5.56 is still up there is all the new AR owners still buying the stuff..Once the noobs max out their cards and stop buying the ammo,it too will come down in price.

Last edited:
The only reason 5.56 is still up there is all the new AR owners still buying the stuff..Once the noobs max out their cards and stop buying the ammo,it too will come down in price.
Both ARs themselves and 5.56/223 seem to have leveled off in price and availability... I agree, price should soon follow down...

Both ARs themselves and 5.56/223 seem to have leveled off in price and availability... I agree, price should soon follow down...

Problem is price on that ammo was stiff even before Obama. Price on that stuff had been rising steadily well before the election. I'm not sure if we'll ever see cases of Privi for under $300 anymore. [sad2]

-Mike

I guess you could call me a noob, since I've only had mine since late Jan.. at the time .223 and 5.56 was readily available for around 35c a round. I slowly accumulated until it was unavailable for under 40c

I refuse to buy it over 40c, everyone else needs to start doing the same or better... same goes for .45, bastards.

That is the better question,and makes sense.

People stopped buying 7.62x39,the price has gone down about $75.00 in the past 2-3 months..I passed on GT for $225 at the last show,I'll wait for $175 and buy a few more cases..If everybody would just quit paying the insane prices,they will come down.

You couldn't have said it any better. [sad2]

I swear .45 doesn't exist. Wally world never has any, and I haven't seen it at Rileys for some time. When I did see it (about two months ago, I don't go to Rileys every week though) it was $25/box for FMJ.

Last time I was at dicks, they were selling wolf for $20/box which I thought was a rip off. The sad part is that WWB is dirtier than the wolf I shot!

I'm not sure if we'll ever see cases of Privi for under $300 anymore.

The last time I bought some Privi .223 was in the winter of '07-'08, and I looked pretty hard and long and didn't see better than $0.33/round in case quantity by the time it hit my doorstep. I don't think we're ever going to see under $300/case unless the economy really goes for a loop.

On the other hand, when it's available now, it isn't up all that much; I see it now in the high 30's (cents per round) without trying too hard. Compare that to .45, which I thought was expensive then at $280/case!

I've noticed increasing interest in reloading by people here, and I'll bet much of it is due to scarcity and high prices of factory ammo. The only two calibers that I buy factory ammo for are .380 and 7.62x39. Any other factory ammo that I buy is usually just to acquire brass for reloading.

The big problem for reloaders over the last few months has been getting components, but that seems to be easing up a little now. The nice thing about ammo and components is that they will store for a long, long time. I just finished reloading some .357 mag with IMR 4227 powder. The cans of powder were marked $7.00 each. I don't know how many years I had it stockpiled, but I know it hasn't been at that price in quite a while. I have an 8 pound keg of 2400 that I paid $52.00 for way back when. All of it still shoots fine. Reloading won't 'save' you money since most shooters will spend as much on components as they would have on factory ammo, but you will shoot a heck of a lot more for the same dollar expenditure. [smile]

Stock up when you can. As long as you store it under reasonable conditions it will outlive zombies. [laugh]

reloading is the way to go........i just finished my last can of bullseye that i had for over 10 yrs and its still fine. i paid about 10 dollars for it back then compared to 17 a pound that i paid last spring for 2 cans.

Back
Top Bottom