• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Warrior Milsurp Postal Match

Bingo! Like other weapons the Finns made, this SMG was top of its class. Best accuracy and a drum mag design that was copied and made popular by the Soviets. Expensive to make, however.

Daekken, what size projectiles?
110gr round nose Hornadys. I had a pound of IMR 3031 sitting around and the only projectile in my manual for 7.62x54R with that powder was the 110 gr. I did a box of it a few months ago and had no problem hitting plates at 100yds and there was essentially no recoil.

I've never shot my Mosin at an actual target (just plates), so this will be interesting.

Havn't shot my K98 in a looong time.
If I can find some decent ammo I'll give it a try
the PPU match is pretty good...a bit stout. I was able to get 3moa with some remington hunting ammo also. Bought it at dicks years ago.
The ppu is the better buy imh .

110gr round nose Hornadys. I had a pound of IMR 3031 sitting around and the only projectile in my manual for 7.62x54R with that powder was the 110 gr. I did a box of it a few months ago and had no problem hitting plates at 100yds and there was essentially no recoil.

I've never shot my Mosin at an actual target (just plates), so this will be interesting.
are you running 308s, 310s 312s ?

are you running 308s, 310s 312s ?
.308s. I was pleasantly surprised last time out. I run .312 in my Enfield.

This probably a dumb question but would a .312 neck sizer work for the 7.62x54R? Isn't it just putting tension back on the neck? I full length size the 7.62x54R but I have the neck sizer for 303 Brit. It's a lot easier than dealing with the case lube and everything.

Slugged my M39 recently and came out to +/- .311. Looking around for a .312 sizing die and it seems like they're either 311 or 314. Afraid I'll get leading with the 311 and 314 seems too big. Mold i have is a 314.

Reminds me that I need to mic some Hornady 7.62x54R. It runs great in my M39 that slugs out to .309

Slugged my M39 recently and came out to +/- .311. Looking around for a .312 sizing die and it seems like they're either 311 or 314. Afraid I'll get leading with the 311 and 314 seems too big. Mold i have is a 314.
if you slug/cast your lead?throat it will be bigger than the bore. THIS is the real important area. Bore size is a good start. I run my 314299 as cast which is about .315" and they run fine in everthing a .312" bullet runs in.

I read a book long time ago that mentions this.
It never mentioned if they actually exchanged gun fire. Although it said something like this.
German high general asked Swiss General what can your 500,000 men do against our 1,000,000....swiss responded shoot 2 times.

Or something to that effect.

I watched a show on the History Channel last year that went through all the mountain fortifications the Swiss did in the mountain ranges. Almost all of them were mine tunnels that overlooked the single line paths through the mountain ranges. No way the Nazi's could have supported troops through those passes and at single file it would have been a duck shoot for the Swiss. No way to get armor in there so it was foot soldier vs Swiss, mountain and weather. Good choice not going that route.

As to the shoot, if I score well with my K98 does that make me a bad person???? o_O

I watched a show on the History Channel last year that went through all the mountain fortifications the Swiss did in the mountain ranges. Almost all of them were mine tunnels that overlooked the single line paths through the mountain ranges. No way the Nazi's could have supported troops through those passes and at single file it would have been a duck shoot for the Swiss. No way to get armor in there so it was foot soldier vs Swiss, mountain and weather. Good choice not going that route.

As to the shoot, if I score well with my K98 does that make me a bad person???? o_O

An interesting part of the Swiss strategy was to leave the exposed lowlands completely defenseless. They knew that defending this ground was impossible, so the plan was to fall back to the areas within the mountain passes. I've driven from Italy to Zurich, and the tunnels from that direction are indeed large in number and perfectly placed.

Regarding the K98? Nah, that doesn't make you a bad person. It's just icing on the cake. :p

Here's the target. Had to prove I was better with a Mauser than a Garand (two 93's).

SOG stock set, "matched" RC barreled action, Depot XII (Mainz-Kassel) build of a bcd42 receiver. Filed down Brownell's tall front sight for POA/POI at 100.

t

Attachments

• IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2195.jpg
    IMG_2195.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Yeah, it's going to be Finn cold this week. My M39 shoots tight groups until it gets hot, or maybe my eyes start bugging out a little and the rifle is fine? Anyway, highs in the 20's should be cold enough and sighters plus only 10 shots won't get the rifle hot.

Here's the target. Had to prove I was better with a Mauser than a Garand (two 93's).

SOG stock set, "matched" RC barreled action, Depot XII (Mainz-Kassel) build of a bcd42 receiver. Filed down Brownell's tall front sight for POA/POI at 100.

t
kicking myself for not picking up a few of those sog stock sets

I think Saturday morning is going to be good for giving this a shot. (Pun intended) Going to be in the 20s, so nice and cold, plus my range is covered in snow. The ground is going to be pretty solid. 12-14mph winds will make things a little interesting, but not that bad shooting at 100 yards.

the PPU match is pretty good...a bit stout. I was able to get 3moa with some remington hunting ammo also. Bought it at dicks years ago.
The ppu is the better buy imh .
I believe I have Remington and S&B in addition to some finicky Yugo ammo.

I believe I have Remington and S&B in addition to some finicky Yugo ammo.
I have never had any luck with any surpus 8mm all hangfire and pffttzz power.
the new production Romanian 8mm is pretty good but you might as well buy boxer primed brass stuff as its not much more money.
Dicks has had 8mm and 303 brit on sale often after hunting season.

I shoot 50s Yugo surplus almost exclusively. No real problems. I'm working through a bad batch of '78, but the '53s I have now are working well.

t

Broke out the K31 for the first time today. Man, those GP11's are really pretty. 27^ according to NOAA. Snow on the ground but I wasnt in it. Sitting position @100 yards. Researching yoga as it took me a few minutes to be able to stand up straight after this, lol.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Heading to the range tomorrow with a great group of WWII rifles to see which one is the most accurate. Going to be a great day. Cold, breezy and fun. What more could you ask for.

60F

You can leave the M1s home - this contest is bolt action. Save you 1/3 of the cleaning!

t

Well today was certainly not my finest.
Not sure if it was my tired eyes on 4 hours of sleep, the load, a little of both.
5 misses, although they did cluster nicely up on the cardboard above the target.
Hoping to get back on track with a Lee-Enfield trip next week if I get the chance.
upload_2017-12-15_19-36-58.png
20171215_145628.jpg 20171215_145641.jpg 20171215_192757.jpg

Heading to the range tomorrow with a great group of WWII rifles to see which one is the most accurate. Going to be a great day. Cold, breezy and fun. What more could you ask for.

60F

You can leave the M1s home - this contest is bolt action. Save you 1/3 of the cleaning!

t

I opened the rules to include semi's as well in case someone has an M1 etc. but not a bolt. I think a bolt will win this, however...

Not sure if it was my tired eyes on 4 hours of sleep, the load, a little of both.
5 misses, although they did cluster nicely up on the cardboard above the target.
Hoping to get back on track with a Lee-Enfield trip next week if I get the chance.
View attachment 215368
View attachment 215369 View attachment 215370 View attachment 215371

That's quite a spread for that 91/30, though you were probably still minute of man. Looking forward to seeing how that Lee Enfield shoots.

I think I need to shoot the M1917, the 1903 NM, and the M39. However, I plan to load some wuss loads and kill two birds with one stone before I head to the range. Probably will be next weekend before I have the new loads ready.

View attachment 215368
View attachment 215369 View attachment 215370 View attachment 215371
I was on the end shooting the K31. Saw your SR-1 and thought you might have been in on this. I should of said something.

I was on the end shooting the K31. Saw your SR-1 and thought you might have been in on this. I should of said something.
No worries. When I saw a K31 in the prone/kneeling station I figured there was a good chance you were participating. Nice shooting.

Back
Top Bottom