Winter Warrior Milsurp Postal Match

I think I'd much rather have the Enfield than the Mosin.
Quite a bit warmer today, and with much fresher eyes after a better night of sleep.
upload_2017-12-19_21-57-35.png
upload_2017-12-19_21-58-52.png

The last time I had taken it out, I had some sight problems because I had fiddled with it. Previously it, was a tack driver.
After a few practice shots on the plates, I ran out a target.

upload_2017-12-19_21-59-24.png

The first five are the furthest to the right. After shooting those five, I ran down range to see how they went. When I got back to the firing line, I aimed slightly left and a tad down, and it really paid dividends.

For fun I also did an offhand target. The last one was a straight miss, knew I was low as soon as I pulled the trigger. I also did not remember holding left.
upload_2017-12-19_22-1-59.png

To cap things off I did a rapid fire at 50 yds because I was out of time.
All in all, a good day, and I'm glad I got the sights back on track.
upload_2017-12-19_22-3-33.png

Hoping to get an M1 out this week as well if it works out.

The U.S. PROPERTY marked Remington 513t with SK standard plus ammo. 100 yards. Had a slight cold finger malfunction so only 9 rounds.
I also fogort I had the rear sight on the ruger project and never fixed elevation so score is tanked 42/100 still not to bad 2.5MOA better than most 30 cal I own
Duv0bPZ.jpg

I think yesterday was more what Mountain had in mind for Winter Warrior than the 45° day with Enfield.
Took the CMP Special out in the snow.
upload_2017-12-23_9-35-11.png upload_2017-12-23_9-35-43.png

Used HXP as I didn't get around to loading any, even though I've managed to build up a good brass selection thanks to someone taking their M1 to the club and leaving all the cases behind.

You can see the SLED in this photo. I meant to bring the one I received as part of the M1 match but I forgot unfortunately. The one I do have can be a bit finicky sometimes, but I haven't played around with it.
upload_2017-12-23_9-38-42.png

The first shot caused all the snow on the roof to come crashing down.
upload_2017-12-23_9-40-26.png

I ran one target from the bench to get a feel. This rifle is kept at 200 yard zero for using the JCG matches. I had never fired it at 100 yards. (I will blame the bottom right shot on the fabled HXP flyer). I did have a hang fire on one round of the HXP, which was something I hadn't had happen before.
upload_2017-12-23_9-56-12.png

After the bench, I jumped over to the prone station and got slung up.
upload_2017-12-23_9-41-44.png

I didn't put the pad/mat down, and was wearing a kind of light jacket. The abrasive texture of the wood/carpeting left my support arm a little unhappy. My eye protection got a bit foggy, too (excuses, excuses). Without having adjusted the sights, I got a pretty good group--but far too high. I had tried to compensate a bit without touching the sights but it was apparently not enough. I also realized when I got back from getting the target and counted my remaining rounds that I actually only fired nine on this target. No big deal.
upload_2017-12-23_9-58-38.png

I decided to take the elevation down three clicks. I also put the pad down.
While it made shooting a lot more comfortable, I think it makes the support arm way too wobbly.
So, closer to the black this time, probably still needed to come down more. I think the pad caused my support arm to sway which accounts for the horizontal deviation. I did fire 10 shots this time though :)
upload_2017-12-23_10-1-48.png

I had forgotten how much of a pain finding brass in the snow was. I know I left a few good ones out there. Much easier with the bolt guns. But, it was a good time, a good way to wind down right before the Christmas break. And I got my Christmas bonus! Time to start deciding how to use it.
upload_2017-12-23_10-5-21.png

Merry Christmas everyone.

Nice. Now you see how your "zero" can be affected by small changes like sling use, position, lighting , mat or no mat. This is why keeping a log book helps. Even between positions there can be several minutes of change.
With the M1 my prone position zero is different than sitting. Because of the way I hold the rifle I need 3-4 minutes windage correction standing I need to come up 2-3 minutes. Also why you need to know your base zero.
Now by ballistics from a 200 yard zero you need -2e clicks at 100. ONE thing you need to remember is your adjusting from the center of your group. Explained to me as cone of dispersion.
The more you shoot try writing down your calls or mark them on a target on the bench and then compare. You can start simple and just call the score and 12,3,6,9 o'clock for now.
As for sleads... I don't think your supposed to keep the sled they let you use at the match?
Any how make your own to work in your rifle it's not hard
Competition - Make an M1 SLED - CMP Forums
I,made a left handed sled photo bucket took my image

I found the same issue with the pad, squishy and wobbly. No pad is abrasive and painful. I find myself shooting in the sitting position more and more. Takes a few minutes before I can stand up straight and walk normally though. (I should prob get more exercise)

Chasing brass in the snow sucks. (as does leaving behind good 308 and 3006 cases) Bolt guns and revolvers get more play time in the winter for sure. I wonder if an adjustable gas plug could be tuned to have the brass end up at 3-4 oclock rather than going forward into the snow?

I found the same issue with the pad, squishy and wobbly. No pad is abrasive and painful. I find myself shooting in the sitting position more and more. Takes a few minutes before I can stand up straight and walk normally though. (I should prob get more exercise)

Chasing brass in the snow sucks. (as does leaving behind good 308 and 3006 cases) Bolt guns and revolvers get more play time in the winter for sure. I wonder if an adjustable gas plug could be tuned to have the brass end up at 3-4 oclock rather than going forward into the snow?
What mats are you guys using that are so wobbly ?
The cheap Midway mats suck. I went through 4 different mats before getting one of these
Champion's Choice
This ones nice to borrowed one at a NRA match last year
CREEDMOOR ROLL-UP MAT (GREEN)

What mats are you guys using that are so wobbly ?
The cheap Midway mats suck. I went through 4 different mats before getting one of these
Champion's Choice
This ones nice to borrowed one at a NRA match last year
CREEDMOOR ROLL-UP MAT (GREEN)
Not so much the mat is wobbly, its just the padding that lets your arm move around more than if it was on something solid. Probably mostly psychological for me at this point tbh.

Theyre club mats. Blue, fold in half with handles sewn on to the sides iirc.
eta- you can see it hanging on the wall on the left side of one of the pics in post #105.

Not so much the mat is wobbly, its just the padding that lets your arm move around more than if it was on something solid. Probably mostly psychological for me at this point tbh.

Theyre club mats. Blue, fold in half with handles sewn on to the sides iirc.
eta- you can see it hanging on the wall on the left side of one of the pics in post #105.
Looks more like a gymnastics mat. Looks to padded to me. The ones I linked are just enough for comfort and the no slip rubber is great.
Also if you don't have a shooting coat you can buy these and glue\stich them to a jacket you already have. A few casual shooters I know used slightly over sized denim jackets or M65 style field jackets
Champion's Choice

Last edited:
Just a quick thank you to all participating in the postal match and also to those posting pics. Really great to see folks active in the winter. Yeah, a biatch to find brass in the snow, but even worse to try and get it out of ice. Might bring a small torch and hi temp gloves- I saw that someone left some LC 5.56 brass and that could be put to good use if I'm up to reaming primer crimps.

Mac, I think daekken's SLED is from the M1 postal match.

Planning a range trip this Tuesday. Maybe shoot only two different milsurp rifles since it's a trip with others. Next door neighbor joined the club and neighbor across the street interested in going. Lucky me to have kick ass new neighbors. Temp should be ~23-24 on Tuesday, so cold but not brutal. I may save the M39 for a sub zero day. Thursday AM forecast to be minus 5 at my range, so that should be perfect. My go-to's CLP or RemOil gum up in sub 10-degree weather, so I'll need to clean and re-lube the Finn with something else.

edit-

Here's a link regarding various lubes and how they perform down to as low as minus 65:

Alaskan Cold Weather Gun Lube test - Survivalist Forum

Stopping by the hardware store so I can try Marvel Mystery Oil.

Last edited:
I think yesterday was more what Mountain had in mind for Winter Warrior than the 45° day with Enfield.
Took the CMP Special out in the snow.

We shoot at the same club but I don't think we've run into each other yet. I've usually got some milsurp with me when I'm there though. Never had the pleasure of knocking the snow off the roof myself but that must have been a riot! AVALANCHE!!! I was hoping to get out there next week to shoot my entry but the weather is looking pretty unfriendly. And you're right about someone shooting nice USGI and HXP surplus and leaving the brass behind, I have taken my fair share of it too.

Yes, they are gym mats. Since they're kind of thick and "stuffed" my elbow has some play. The prone station is a raised wooden box of sorts topped with the fake astroturf kind of stuff.

At OCSA the elbow padding of the shooting jackets makes it kind of moot. I was just wearing a regular light jacket yesterday.

The SLED is one I ordered from Orion in March. As part of the prize pack from the M1 postal match earlier this year Mountain threw in another one but I haven't tried it yet.

I can definitely detect a difference in zero based on position. I think I actually quite prefer prone to bench shooting, at least with a nice 1907 sling.
We shoot at the same club but I don't think we've run into each other yet. I've usually got some milsurp with me when I'm there though. Never had the pleasure of knocking the snow off the roof myself but that must have been a riot! AVALANCHE!!! I was hoping to get out there next week to shoot my entry but the weather is looking pretty unfriendly. And you're right about someone shooting nice USGI and HXP surplus and leaving the brass behind, I have taken my fair share of it too.
Nice. I actually ran into mikelawtown there for the first time on Tuesday after knowing we both went there for a few years.
He noticed the NES sticker on my truck. And I ran into headednorth (although we didn't know it at the time) last week. I met MarkT (I bought something from him) when he was on his way there once and we found out we were each members. It's funny since I don't think I had ever met anyone else from NES there (that I knew of anyway).

I had the rifle section to myself except for a brief spell where a gentleman came and fired 20-40 rounds out of a Mini14 before departing.

I found some Chinese 54r digging through my bunker. I might give the mosins a go and post. So far I’m not doing well. I laughed at my 513 score. I will post scores for fun as usual

Nice. I actually ran into mikelawtown there for the first time on Tuesday after knowing we both went there for a few years.
He noticed the NES sticker on my truck. And I ran into headednorth (although we didn't know it at the time) last week. I met MarkT (I bought something from him) when he was on his way there once and we found out we were each members. It's funny since I don't think I had ever met anyone else from NES there (that I knew of anyway).

I was actually there this afternoon for a little bit, only one other shooter for a little while then it was all mine. It was already too for anything but plinking steel though. I didn't realize headednorth was a member too! I see Mike there frequently and sometimes Andrew joins us too as a guest. Hopefully we'll run into each other there sometime.

Back
Top Bottom