• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45ACP obsolete?

When it comes to what you carry to protect yourself outside your home I would worry less about caliber or any silly stuff like follow up shots and recoil. How many shots are you going to take in a self defense shoot? Your responsible for the impact of everyone of those shots. Same goes for capacity.
Find a gun that you are comfortable shooting and carrying in a proper belt and holster. Then train with it, a lot! Worry less about the caliber, they will all work at the 3-5 yard engagement you will have in a life or death situation.

Last edited:
Cant go wrong with 45.

More options is better, you can choose between 9mm, 10mm, or 45acp.

Nothing else is worth carrying though

Soooo. . . . not more options, then? 40, 38, 380, 357, 44spl, 44mag, 9mmK, 5.7. . . . that was just in the time to type it. LOL

Soooo. . . . not more options, then? 40, 38, 380, 357, 44spl, 44mag, 9mmK, 5.7. . . . that was just in the time to type it. LOL
Correct, most of those are pointless for concealed carry. Only one that gets a pass from that list is .38spl

I used to have the same questions until I started to reload. It appears to me it boils down to L/D (Length/Diameter). The 9 has a longer length ratio compared to .40 or .45. The ogive curvature on a 9 can almost be rifle bullet shaped, while the .40 & .45 are just too short and fat.
This is just my observation so there's a good chance I'm wrong.

I used to have the same questions until I started to reload. It appears to me it boils down to L/D (Length/Diameter). The 9 has a longer length ratio compared to .40 or .45. The ogive curvature on a 9 can almost be rifle bullet shaped, while the .40 & .45 are just too short and fat.
This is just my observation so there's a good chance I'm wrong.
Long and thin will get it in but short and fat is where it's at.
Get hit with a Prius @ 75 mph or a Kenworth @ 55 mph, both will ruin your day.

Last edited:
I get a kick out of how people in the fire/police service refer to citizens as civilians. It's funny because it's a slight and people just roll with it. [rofl]
It’s an insidious issue though. It goes along with the militarization of police and breeds an us versus them, thin blue line mentality.

I dunno. If 38 has a place, then 357 must as well...
I think there's still an argument to be made in favor of carrying a .38 but it would be in a small pocket size revolver. A .357 in that size gun is not only brutal to shoot but also not as impressive performance-wise as from a longer barrel, so I don't see the point.

This is coming from someone who loves .357mag - I just don't carry it.

It’s an insidious issue though. It goes along with the militarization of police and breeds an us versus them, thin blue line mentality.
When I was still running around in fire land I used to bring up the "civilian" thing to bust balls. If I'm not a civilian firefighter am I a military firefighter? becuase that used to be a thing (I think it still sorta is in some cases?). If the local police arent civilian police.... are they military police? Wat?

So dumb. Just another way to put people into castes. The people who said that shit were always egomaniacs and looked down on the people they served.

I think there's still an argument to be made in favor of carrying a .38 but it would be in a small pocket size revolver. A .357 in that size gun is not only brutal to shoot but also not as impressive performance-wise as from a longer barrel, so I don't see the point.

This is coming from someone who loves .357mag - I just don't carry it.
I had a 16 oz .38 Spcl +P Model 642. That thing hurt to shoot. Heck, my 4” K-frames hurt to shoot .357. Guess I’m just a wuss, but .357 Mag in one of those J-frames made out of unobtanium has no appeal to me.

When I was still running around in fire land I used to bring up the "civilian" thing to bust balls. If I'm not a civilian firefighter am I a military firefighter? becuase that used to be a thing (I think it still sorta is in some cases?). If the local police arent civilian police.... are they military police? Wat?

So dumb. Just another way to put people into castes. The people who said that shit were always egomaniacs and looked down on the people they served.
So are volunteer firefighters only part time civilians?

I get a kick out of how people in the fire/police service refer to citizens as civilians. It's funny because it's a slight and people just roll with it. [rofl]
I've never heard a firefighter say that. Cops do it though - they have to show you that you're on the wuss side of the thin blue line and can't measure up to the brave heroes in blue. RESPECT MUH AUTHORITAH, CIVILIAN, OR I'LL SHOOT YOUR DOG.

I think some of you guys are a little too sensitive around being called civilians. At street level it’s been commonly used since the gangsters of the 20’s and 30’s to differentiate between other gangsters and the fuzz. Anyone not on either side was referred to as a civilian to keep an easy and common understanding of who is and who is not in the game.

On the street now it is still used by gangs, organized crime families and police to differentiate between victims of crimes and or referencing the targeting of ‘civilians’ and whether that’s allowed or not by a particular gang or family. IE Colombians and cartels will kill anybody. Families. Kids. Doesn’t matter to them. The more brutal the better. Others like The Mob might say No, you don’t go after civilians unless they’re rats or something. Otherwise it’s generally verboten.

It doesn’t take away your man card. It’s not an insult. It’s basic true crime terminology that most should know if they left their basement more often. Deep breaths ladies, no one’s calling you a pussy.

9993CD39-8814-45C1-9EBB-D8DE7034F698.gif

In the same size gun that I can carry 6+1 45 ACP, I can carry 10+1 9mm (15+1 in a free state).

As a round itself 45 is still fine but I’m more likely to carry 9mm. YMMV.
I have 10+1 in my 45 AND 10-1 in my 9mm. Once free to use standard capacity, my 45 will be capable of 15+1 and my 9mm will be 17+1. Two extra rounds, big woop.

Point is, your guns are ancient! Get a modern gun.

Back
Top Bottom