Amend LEOSA for C.O's

Then become a politician or throw a badge on and walk the line either way, were not talking about gun rights were talking about off duty cops being allowed to carry anywhere in the us. I'm pro gun all the way, I'm not debating gun rights, I'm debating LEOSA

I don't care what you call it. That is gun rights with cops becoming a favored class.

I love how the very accurate and well thought out comment by economist is ignored. Notice the only ones arguing for it at this point are jaded and pushing a special perk agenda. Who do you really think you are kidding needing to carry anymore than anyone else when you travel outside of your work/regional area. So you're going to tell me a mass Leo of any shape has higher risks in nj, Chicago, or CA? Give me a break it's all about that two tier system. Notice the difference in attitudes on the otherside. I'm confident that shows in how people caught up in the law are treated.

I'm not going to say anymore about who I know that worked at Somers. He never worried and I came to learn why he probably never had issues even though he had many encounters. I know COs from Hampshire and Franklin county and they don't worry. I've been in all 4 western jails (on business) and can see why some are concerned and might have issues. Treat them like dogshit and you will always be looking over your shoulder. I'm sure the same goes for cops. I'm not sugar coating the jail and prison population one bit but most times for someone who's made it out, to come after you and only you... There's a reason.

Its not special treatment. Do you deal with the scum of the earth in a daily basis? Do you lock people up who then threaten to kill you or your family when they get out? Do you constantly have to look over your shoulder, are you on duty 24/7. Are you held to a higher standard and obligated to act if you find yourself in a situation off duty. Prob not....

If they're dangerous, they shouldn't be let out.

If they're dangerous, and they've been let out, then we all have to deal with them, even when we're not in our home state.

Bottom line boghog...cops do have a few perks that most don't, it comes with the badge.

That's disgusting and offensive. Anyone who took an oath to defend The Constitution should be outraged by that.

Put me in the "guns rights for all" camp. While I agree with Officerobie59 that you *may* be at higher risk, you signed on for that risk.

nfw should LEO's, CO's, or any other "O" get perks above and beyond us plebes. high-cap mag exemption? bullshit. any gun you want even if it's not on Martha's lists? bullshit. Nationwide CCW while we can't? bullshit.

Drive out of state, you're no longer a LEO or CO. You're just a citizen like the rest of us, and deserve NO special treatment. Sorry if that gets your blue panties in a wad, it's just how I feel. If you want extra priveleges, then ask for them for everyone else, too. By even "asking" for more privileges, you're driving a wedge between yourselves and everyone else.

Put me in the "guns rights for all" camp. While I agree with Officerobie59 that you *may* be at higher risk, you signed on for that risk.

nfw should LEO's, CO's, or any other "O" get perks above and beyond us plebes. high-cap mag exemption? bullshit. any gun you want even if it's not on Martha's lists? bullshit. Nationwide CCW while we can't? bullshit.

Drive out of state, you're no longer a LEO or CO. You're just a citizen like the rest of us, and deserve NO special treatment. Sorry if that gets your blue panties in a wad, it's just how I feel. If you want extra priveleges, then ask for them for everyone else, too. By even "asking" for more privileges, you're driving a wedge between yourselves and everyone else.

Bingo

Well if you don't like how mass does things move....it's not that simple yes we are cops and signed up for the job, when I'm in NH Xmas shopping an hour from home and I'm carrying under LEOSA if I see something you bet your ass I'm gonna intervene. I understand once we leave our state our powers are gone, truth be told while I again agree that everyone should have the right, don't shit on cops or LEOs be use they can exercise that right. Call your elected officials and try to get it changed I'm a CO and a cop and I call few times a week. Just because I can carry my gun over a state line doesn't mean I'm High and mighty it means as a public servant I have the right too. Just like I BELIEVE we ALL SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY ANYWHERE, but the fact is these elected idiots of this state and many others will never go for a nationwide CCW.

my argument plan and simple is don't shit on LEOs becuase they can, I understand and agree with your point but can't stand when people shit on LEOs and call us better than the rest.

Drive out of state, you're no longer a LEO or CO.
Not always true.

You're just a citizen like the rest of us, and deserve NO special treatment.
Always true.

Nationwide CCW makes me uneasy, though, at least if I'm understanding people correctly when they talk about it. Nationwide CCW to me suggests a federal shall-issue permit which preempts all state permits, or lack there of. What the federal government giveth, the federal government can taketh away. Rather than nationwide ccw, I'd rather see state-level carry restrictions picked away through court cases until nothing remains. It just seems "safer" from a rights perspective to me to be able carry because no laws say you can't, rather than being able to carry because one law says you can.

Bullshit.

Gun rights are not a perks or priveleges. They are RIGHTS and should not be doled out only to the protected classes.

And I agree with you 1000 percent.

But this thread (and what I'm talking about) is adding CO's to LEOSA. You want to argue gun rights, you are not going to find ANY objections with me as I believe it is a right given to me by my creator not a politician.

But in the case of LEOSA, yes I think CO's should be added.

Hey, I think it's a terrible idea to have "white's only" restrooms, but I'm just saying that if we have them we should probably let in Asians too. [thinking]

You can't have it both ways. If LEOSA creates a privileged class, then LEOSA is wrong. Adding another subset to that class does not make it right.

If you want to add to LEOSA, add all free human beings.

Nationwide CCW makes me uneasy, though, at least if I'm understanding people correctly when they talk about it. Nationwide CCW to me suggests a federal shall-issue permit which preempts all state permits, or lack there of. What the federal government giveth, the federal government can taketh away. Rather than nationwide ccw, I'd rather see state-level carry restrictions picked away through court cases until nothing remains. It just seems "safer" from a rights perspective to me to be able carry because no laws say you can't, rather than being able to carry because one law says you can.

Doesn't the second Amendment preempt all of the states like the first does? You cannot regulate speech differently state to state. You can set limits on speech across the board ( the fire theater thing), but all states have to recognize 1A because the BOR is Supreme and trumps all state laws.

ETA: I do agree, the best way would be to have an educated public and pols who would set a standard of national reciprocity by all states saying we accept each other's licenses, but that is if you believe a right should be licensed at all.

Doesn't the second Amendment preempt all of the states like the first does?
Should it? Yes.
Does it? No.

I personally was talking about nationwide constitutional carry. If we are talking hypotheticals might as well talk about ideal situtations.
If you're talking about nationwide constitutional carry, I'm all for that. I apologize for misinterpreting. When I read CCW, I think of CCW permits/license, or of actual concealed carry weapons (still can't figure out when CCW started being used to refer to the license rather than the weapon, but that's a topic for another thread).

Last edited:
I don't care what you do. While I can respect and agree with your position on this I don agree that comparing cops and guns to IRS and taxes or the above statement, I highly doubt there are any cops right now trying to infringe on your right to carry.

You should talk to that goat fellator O'Connell, the licensing officer in Somerville. He is, daily. Seriously, open your eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Should it? Yes.
Does it? No.

It's really sad that this is true. Absolutes aren't so absolute it seems. :(

You can set limits on speech across the board ( the fire theater thing)
Please stop spreading this crap. Anti's use this all the time as well, it's actually one of their favorite and most effective arguments to use to justify "reasonable restrictions". But it's complete bullshit. There is NO law against yelling fire in a crowded theater. There is only liability if you yell fire, it actually causes a panic, and there are damages or injuries as a result.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, I never took a constitutional law class but...

Isn't that what the 2A already is?
Um, didn't you just agree with me that it doesn't work that way in reality, like just 5 minutes before you posted this question?

Please stop spreading this crap. Anti's use this all the time as well, it's actually one of their favorite and most effective arguments to use to justify "reasonable restrictions". But it's complete bullshit. There is NO law against yelling fire in a crowded theater. There is only liability if you yell fire, it actually causes a panic, and there are damages or injuries as a result.
Is there not criminal liability for speech that causes direct mayhem, destruction, or injury? Such as inciting a group to riot, or publically calling for the murder of someone?

- - - Updated - - -

Um, didn't you just agree with me that it doesn't work that way in reality, like just 5 minutes before you posted this question?
My question is, isn't the 2A already "constitutional carry"? If we already have it, we don't need it, and history has proven it won't work anyway because people will in fact act to limit it.

How do you envision constitutional carry as different from the 2A? Maybe that's where I'm not understanding you.

Is there not criminal liability for speech that causes direct mayhem, destruction, or injury? Such as inciting a group to riot, or publically calling for the murder of someone?
Yes, but something bad has to happen. If nothing bad happens, there's no liability. Unlike with "reasonable restrictions" on firearms, where a crime can exist absent any negative result. That's what I'm driving at. Anti's say all the time that yelling "fire" in a crowded theater is against the law. By itself, absent any negative result, it's 100% legal.

Though myself and others have and do take advantage of LEOSA, We are always watching ourselves, We are concerned that there are cops out there, who haven't got a clue about what the law sayes or care too. So then it becomes a situtation of it being, an affirmitive defense when the jack booted thug chooses to ignore it.

Carrying a copy of HR218 might help

- - - Updated - - -

My question is, isn't the 2A already "constitutional carry"? If we already have it, we don't need it, and history has proven it won't work anyway because people will in fact act to limit it.

How do you envision constitutional carry as different from the 2A? Maybe that's where I'm not understanding you.
Okay, I think I see the confusion. I was trying to say that nationwide CCW is not something I'd favor, because it implies a permitting system in my mind. Nationwide constitutional carry it preferable to me because it requires the elimination of all permitting systems. As the vast majority of NES members can attest, though, the mere existence of the 2A doesn't translate into constitutional carry. Not until all permitting/licensing systems are removed from the equation. I wouldn't trust any permitting system, even a nationwide shall-issue system.

Yes, but something bad has to happen. If nothing bad happens, there's no liability. Unlike with "reasonable restrictions" on firearms, where a crime can exist absent any negative result. That's what I'm driving at. Anti's say all the time that yelling "fire" in a crowded theater is against the law. By itself, absent any negative result, it's 100% legal.

Ah, interesting, I didn't know that. I thought it was a criminal act and to be honest I never thought about how it would have created an imposition on the first amendment.

Not until all permitting/licensing systems are removed from the equation. I wouldn't trust any permitting system, even a nationwide shall-issue system.
Got it. I agree with you. In my mind permitting in and of itself implies privileges are being conferred. It also creates a registry with information on every person with a gun. I don't like that at all.

I am not in general in favor of special privileges. I believe a valid permit in one state should entitle you to carry in another state, if that is the route we go - barring a finding of Constitutional carry. That being said, I have spent my fair share of time interacting with individuals who are incarcerated, as well as deputy sheriffs and CO's. My take, there are a lot of "non" violent inmates who go in and come out hardened criminals. Look at a Board of Probation Record and you can see the instances of violence start after a non-violent offender does their first real stretch in the HOC or Prison. If LEOSA is to remain the law of the land, than CO's should be included. That being said we could skip the middleman and move to a shall issue model with full faith and credit protections.

Okay, I think I see the confusion. I was trying to say that nationwide CCW is not something I'd favor, because it implies a permitting system in my mind. Nationwide constitutional carry it preferable to me because it requires the elimination of all permitting systems. As the vast majority of NES members can attest, though, the mere existence of the 2A doesn't translate into constitutional carry. Not until all permitting/licensing systems are removed from the equation. I wouldn't trust any permitting system, even a nationwide shall-issue system.
Completely agree.

Its not special treatment. Do you deal with the scum of the earth in a daily basis? Do you lock people up who then threaten to kill you or your family when they get out? Do you constantly have to look over your shoulder, are you on duty 24/7. Are you held to a higher standard and obligated to act if you find yourself in a situation off duty. Prob not....

Dude I've got diet coke all over my keyboard and coming out my nose after reading that.

"Higher standard?" With all respect due to people who actually hold themselves up to this "higher standard" **** YOU. The "brotherhood of the thin blue line" pretty much guarantees that the REST of the brotherhood will cover up, lie, and, well, generally screw over everyone else if they have to, to protect their "brothers" regardless of what they actually do, much of which isn't exactly on the up-and-up. I witness you one Christopher Dorner.

It's a (sad?) fact that licensed, law-abiding gun owners are, as a whole (nation wide), MORE law-abiding than you policemen. Maybe if YOUR gun rights were based on subjective suitability, you'd live up to the same sense of morality as we do. If there's a bad situation, you should either engage (or not) based on an innate sense of morality, and trying to do the right thing, more-so than "Oh, shit, I've got this badge on I should look like I'm helping out."

And, you have NO (none, zero, zilch, nada) "obligation" to do a ****ing thing, even when you ARE on duty, never mind when you're off-duty, and out of your jurisdiction.

OfficerObie59 has the right answer and attitude. I don't know you KissPik002, but if you think your charges are the scum of the earth, then that attitude carries a shitload of Karma with it. If an ex-con has it out for you such that you're looking over your shoulder 24x7, it's probably for a damned good reason.

So unless you're for "same gun rights for everyone" take your high and mighty elitist ****ing attitude, and shove it where the sun don't shine. Everyone else is sick and goddamned tired of it. Seriously - **** you.

With regard to the whole "held to a higher standard" thing, a private citizen in MA is required to go through more training to get a restricted LTC than an LEO needs to go through to fly armed on a commercial airliner. Just sayin'...

Back
Top Bottom