EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

So what you're telling me is that this $30 license will allow me to buy, say, a WWII era 1911 from craigslist in another state and get it shipped straight to my house (with an FA10 to follow)? Well, that explains the title of this thread!

Just remember you need to do an eFA-10 and register anything you get via your C&R from out of state. As others mentioned above, a dealer in MA will still have to do the FA-10 form when buying from them with it.

I just had to update my C&R to my new address. While the original C&R took about 3-4 weeks in late 2012, the updated license took four months.

I just called today to inquire about my C&R change of address I sent in at the beginning of February. They said it should have been mailed and I should have received it, but I haven't...so they're mailing another one. When I first applied for my C&R the same thing happened.

Just remember you need to do an eFA-10 and register anything you get via your C&R from out of state. As others mentioned above, a dealer in MA will still have to do the FA-10 form when buying from them with it.
Yes, thanks. That reminds me: is there such a thing as non-MA compliant under a C&R?

Yes, thanks. That reminds me: is there such a thing as non-MA compliant under a C&R?

Non compliant in regards to what? For handguns I doubt most of them would be compliant for a dealer to sell to someone since despite their age (thus exempting them from the AG requirements) they're not likely to be on the EOPS roster. For long guns, I doubt AWB compliance would be an issue because all (?) C&R's are going to be pre-ban anyway.

Non compliant in regards to what? For handguns I doubt most of them would be compliant for a dealer to sell to someone since despite their age (thus exempting them from the AG requirements) they're not likely to be on the EOPS roster. For long guns, I doubt AWB compliance would be an issue because all (?) C&R's are going to be pre-ban anyway.
E.g. Springfield handguns are not on the roster so a MA FFL cannot legally sell me one. Can I get one from out of state with a C&R if it's C&R eligible?

You guys (not Len) seem to be missing a fundamental concept and waaaaaaayyyyyyy overthinking it.

If a gun that is not sold by a shop is routed through a shop, then they expect to get paid for their time and effort. All very reasonable.

The benefit of a C&R is that in some cases the gun can be shipped from an out of state seller directly to you. No shop, no transfer fee.

The other circumstance is if you buy a gun from a local shop. You are buying from them, not just using them for the transfer, so no fee.

Its all pretty obvious. If you want someone to help you with a transaction, they get paid. If you buy something from someone, they make money on the sale and don't charge you to do the transaction.
This.

There are few things better than getting to go to an out-of-state gun show and handing a dealer a copy of my C&R and cash, and walking out with a gun. No NICS check needed.

It's also great with online auctions and CMP forum sales, both of which I've done with my C&R.

Depends on whether you subscribe to the nonsense that the gun actually had to be documented as being inside the state before 1998--or whether it was just manufactured before then.

This.

There are few things better than getting to go to an out-of-state gun show and handing a dealer a copy of my C&R and cash, and walking out with a gun. No NICS check needed.

Yup, bought a C&R rifle in NH a couple of months ago and it took all of 5 minutes to complete the whole transaction.

I just had to update my C&R to my new address. While the original C&R took about 3-4 weeks in late 2012, the updated license took four months.

I just called to check the status of my update (USPS delivery confirmation says the BATFE received my change of address form on 2/26) and the guy said they still haven't received it. I don't get it. Is there a pile of new C&R applications or renewals that takes priority over change of address piles? My renewal was up just before I moved and it took less than 3 weeks IIRC.

I just called to check the status of my update (USPS delivery confirmation says the BATFE received my change of address form on 2/26) and the guy said they still haven't received it. I don't get it. Is there a pile of new C&R applications or renewals that takes priority over change of address piles? My renewal was up just before I moved and it took less than 3 weeks IIRC.

What'd he say when you told him that it was delivered on the 26th?

Nothing. He just said "It hasn't been received yet." When I mentioned that my delivery confirmation info says it was delivered on the 26th, he said "It hasn't been received yet."

[thinking] Typical gov't employee.

Nothing. He just said "It hasn't been received yet." When I mentioned that my delivery confirmation info says it was delivered on the 26th, he said "It hasn't been received yet."

[thinking] Typical gov't employee.

Sounds like it's in a pile of unopened mail.

Like I said, I sent mine out first week of November. Got the updated license in mid-February.

if using my C&R to acquire a firearm from a non C&R holder within Massachusetts, an FA10 is still required so the state transfers the ownership of the firearm to me..correct? I still give the seller a signed copy of my C&R, and log it into my bound book.

if using my C&R to acquire a firearm from a non C&R holder within Massachusetts, an FA10 is still required so the state transfers the ownership of the firearm to me..correct? I still give the seller a signed copy of my C&R, and log it into my bound book.

Legally speaking, ALL transfers in MA (other than inheritance) MUST be between 2 LTC/FID holders and an FA-10 done with both parties info. The C&R FFL is irrelevant wrt MGL. It still goes in your Bound Book however, as the Feds require that no matter how a C&R gun is acquired.

It still goes in your Bound Book however, as the Feds require that no matter how a C&R gun is acquired.
Do you mean a C&R eligible gun or a gun actually purchased using the C&R license? I.e. if I buy a WWII-era Mosin in MA without ever using my C&R license, does it still have to go in the bound book?

Do you mean a C&R eligible gun or a gun actually purchased using the C&R license? I.e. if I buy a WWII-era Mosin in MA without ever using my C&R license, does it still have to go in the bound book?

No matter how a C&R gun is acquired, if you acquire it while you have a valid C&R FFL it must be logged into your book.

Hello. This is my first post. I have been reading many threads and soaking up all the info for about a month or so. After reading all 198 pages of this thread over two days I sent out my C&R application on Friday. My account had a pre auth. for the $30 today. Much faster than I anticipated. Seeing as how I already have an addiction this could be a bad thing!! Thanks to all for the great information and great site.

Hello. This is my first post. I have been reading many threads and soaking up all the info for about a month or so. After reading all 198 pages of this thread over two days I sent out my C&R application on Friday. My account had a pre auth. for the $30 today. Much faster than I anticipated. Seeing as how I already have an addiction this could be a bad thing!! Thanks to all for the great information and great site.

Holy crap, excellent first post. Most people who've been here a heck of a lot longer can't be bothered to read a thread this long [smile]

Don' t forget about the Brownells discounts. I've also found that some small reloading component makers give a discount with a C&R.

So what's the typical discount on Brownells? And is everything that's for sale on Brownell's eligible for a discount? I've been eyeing one of those hostage steel targets for a while on Brownells and just recently found out about the C&R discounts. So I may be applying for mine soon. Feel free to PM me if this isn't the place to openly discuss answers to my questions (reps will be given for sure lol). Thanks!

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a.../targets/static-hostage-target-prod38941.aspx

The discount varies. Some items aren't discounted at all. When you get a dealer account set up and log in, the item will show the regular price crossed out and then list the dealer price.

My first order from Brownell's, I saved more than three times the cost of the C&R. There are other places that give good discounts also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what's the typical discount on Brownells? And is everything that's for sale on Brownell's eligible for a discount? I've been eyeing one of those hostage steel targets for a while on Brownells and just recently found out about the C&R discounts. So I may be applying for mine soon. Feel free to PM me if this isn't the place to openly discuss answers to my questions (reps will be given for sure lol). Thanks!

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a.../targets/static-hostage-target-prod38941.aspx

For the item in question:

C&R - $262.07
Reg. Retail - $279.99

Back
Top Bottom