EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

When I moved I had a huge issue with them dragging their feet on re-issuing me one with the new address. I just called up the local office, spoke to a woman about it and got a replacement within 2 days.

Well got a nice letter from the batfe. I forgot to sign the damn charge authorization. Mailed it off signed this morning. Hopefully will be a quick turnaround.

When I moved I had a huge issue with them dragging their feet on re-issuing me one with the new address. I just called up the local office, spoke to a woman about it and got a replacement within 2 days.

Yolonda? She's a nice lady.

ETA: actually you said "local" so it most likely wasn't Yolonda. She works in Georgia I think.

I doubt that dwarven1's visit had anything to do with a C&R FFL. IIRC he's applied for a 01 or 07 FFL in VT and that interview process is rather lengthy before they approve a dealer or mfr FFL! Thus, his post didn't belong in this thread. [slap] [wink]

Mea culpa - I was bragging a little. It's an 01, BTW. 07 is for a manufacturer (which is what Nickle is going for). But the interview is basically them acknowledging that yes, you're going to get it - they're not going to spend 5 hours going over stuff to deny me. At least that's the way it was explained to me.

Have a sinking feeling that my first renewal got screwed up. The $30 fee from January was credited back into my account on Friday. I'll be calling the ATF on Monday. :(

Just reached someone at ATF licensing and I'm going to have to reapply for a new C & R. They claimed that they mailed me a letter in March for more info and never heard from me. So they withdrew the renewal application and refunded my fee. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

My application arrived in the mail yesterday. It was returned for my failure to include my ss#. I believe I left it out because I read in this thread that it was not legally required. I could be completely wrong about the latter; I may be thinking of a different license application.

^ Shouldn't be required, but yours is not the first to be kicked back for excluding it. A couple members called to inquire and were told that it is not required, but they won't accept it without it. Sounds like gov logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so after looking at these forms and the links, all I have to do is fill out the application and the certificate and send it in. Are there any other forms that I'm missing. Can someone please pm me what they did step by step for their C&R FFL. I would appreciate it. Thanks

Very simple. Fill out the 2 forms, make a copy for your police chief and drop it off/send it first. Pay by check or cc and wait. Buy a "Bound Book" (Brownells sells them for ~$4-5) and read up on your obligations as a "licensee" (in Federal legalspeak).

The CoP has to be notified but approval is not needed, correct? Do you send him a copy of the application or a letter of intent or what? Also, anyone know where to send it in Boston?

The CoP has to be notified but approval is not needed, correct? Do you send him a copy of the application or a letter of intent or what? Also, anyone know where to send it in Boston?

Read the instructions carefully. You send the chief/commissioner (in your case) a COPY of the application form. So it is sent to BPD HQ address.

Lens,

Okay now I'm a bit confused. BATFE website sure made it seem like I didn't need a certificate if I was the only person applying on the license.

https://www.atf.gov/content/atf-f-531016-form-7cr-instructions

"Below you will find links to all the required documents that are necessary to ensure a complete application. Applicants may print forms on standard white paper. In addition to the below documents, applications must be accompanied by a signed Certification of Compliance (ATF F 5330.20) for each additional Responsible Person (RP) on the license, if applicable"

Send it in without it and expect a letter a month or so later telling you that you must send it before they will process you. Others here have done that and reported that back numerous times.

I just returned my renewal WITH that form filled out and included. C&R FFLs aren't businesses so all or almost all of us are simply individuals too.

Send it in without it and expect a letter a month or so later telling you that you must send it before they will process you. Others here have done that and reported that back numerous times.

I just returned my renewal WITH that form filled out and included. C&R FFLs aren't businesses so all or almost all of us are simply individuals too.

guess I'll be getting a letter then. Sent in last week without certificate.

My application was sent in on 3-28. I recived it back this week as I had not initial the boxes on line 14. My bad. One qestion? They highlighted the title box next to my signature below line 15. I did not fill out anything in there. Any ideas of what they want would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
My application was sent in on 3-28. I recived it back this week as I had not initial the boxes on line 14. My bad. One qestion? They highlighted the title box next to my signature below line 15. I did not fill out anything in there. Any ideas of what they want would be greatly appreciated.

I think I put either Individual or collector there

i put collector on mine.

Received my 03 a couple years ago, moved to a new house and forgot to update my address. I called the local BATFE office, and spoke with Debra. She tells me to just email her the change of address and shred my existing 03 with the old address. Easy as pie! Yesterday, I was told I'd have the new amended one in 3-5 days. So even though I didn't update my address 30 days prior to my move, she still changed it for me. Amazing!

I printed out these forms and will mail them in at some point soon. There is nothing I am interested in right now, but I can see in the future it may be helpful.

Completed and mailed forms a few days ago. The countdown has began. Looking forward to first purchase.
Has anyone had the local COP contact you ?

Last edited:
OK, I think I have my hands around this process but I have 3 questions about the form 7CR.

Section 10 "Nonimmigrant Alien Certification". I assume I leave this section completely black as a US citizen correct?

Section 15 "Certification" is right under the CLEO information and made me think it was meant for the CLEO to sign but I have been told that is not necessary. This is actually the place for my signature that all of the info on the form being submitted is correct right? Just making sure.

Nothing else is needed for the submission except the completed form 7CR right?

OK, I think I have my hands around this process but I have 3 questions about the form 7CR.

Section 10 "Nonimmigrant Alien Certification". I assume I leave this section completely black as a US citizen correct?

Section 15 "Certification" is right under the CLEO information and made me think it was meant for the CLEO to sign but I have been told that is not necessary. This is actually the place for my signature that all of the info on the form being submitted is correct right? Just making sure.

Nothing else is needed for the submission except the completed form 7CR right?

Section 10 - Please read the instructions there.

This is the instructions for Section 9 that leads you to what you need to do in Section 10.
Country of Citizenship List more than one, if applicable. Nonimmigrant aliens must complete all information in item #10.

And here are the instructions for Section 10.
All nonimmigrant aliens listed in item 9 must complete the following information certifying compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B).

So, my IANAL reading of this is that if you are a US Citizen, you state that in Section 9 and ignore Section 10.

Section 15 - Section 14 is for you to put info there as to who is your CLEO. Section 15 states:

15. Certification: Under the penalties imposed by 18 U.S.C. 924, I declare that I have examined this application and the documents submitted in support thereof, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, they are true, correct and complete. This signature, when presented by a duly authorized representative of the Department of Justice, will constitute consent and authority for the appropriate Department of Justice representative to examine and obtain copies and abstracts of records and to receive statements and information regarding the background of all responsible persons. Specifically, I hereby authorize the release of the following data or records to ATF: Employment information, military information/records, medical information/records, police and criminal records.

As much as it might be interesting for BATFE to get the medical info/records for your CLEO, it isn't relevant to YOUR application for a Federal FFL! No, this is for your signature giving up all your rights to privacy of info (HIPAA, etc.) and you put "Collector" in for your title.

Nothing else? - Wrong, read the instructions here:
https://www.atf.gov/content/atf-f-531016-form-7cr-instructions

If you don't fill in the ATF F 5330.20 — Certification of Compliance, your application will NOT be processed and you will get a letter telling you that your application is not complete.

Dropped of my application to the police station, and the woman didn't know what to do with it. I said it goes to the cop and it's just a copy, they don't need to do anything with it.

No rush to get it.

Sent mine in a couple weeks ago, local PD was clueless when I dropped off the copy of my app, told him the same thing as sweed did. Just saw my CC was charged the $30 fee a few days ago too.

Back
Top Bottom