EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Got a call from the admin at my local PC. Chief won't "sign off on my C&R" as a missed a couple of things on his courtesy copy. From what I have read he doesn't approve or sign off anyway. Either way no biggie, I'll swing by and give him what he says he needs. I forgot to initial the 4 boxes on his copy but I did on the ATF copy. He says he needs my naturalization number since I was not born in the US. This I didn't include on the ATF copy either since I said I was a US citizen, who knows they may bounce it back to me for that also. I mailed it in about 10 days ago so we will see.

ETA - I just noticed on the form where I should have included my naturalization number. DOH!!

ETA again - they charged my CC on June 2nd. I assume that is a good sign :) But maybe not, what do I know.

Last edited:
Chief doesn't have to "sign off". You only need to provide him with notification.

If he doesn't want you to have a C&R, that's his problem. While I wouldn't tell him to eat a bag of dicks if you value your LTC, I certainly wouldn't wait around on his say so to file my C&R paperwork with the ATF.

Got a call from the admin at my local PC. Chief won't "sign off on my C&R" as a missed a couple of things on his courtesy copy. From what I have read he doesn't approve or sign off anyway. Either way no biggie, I'll swing by and give him what he says he needs. I forgot to initial the 4 boxes on his copy but I did on the ATF copy. He says he needs my naturalization number since I was not born in the US. This I didn't include on the ATF copy either since I said I was a US citizen, who knows they may bounce it back to me for that also. I mailed it in about 10 days ago so we will see.

ETA - I just noticed on the form where I should have included my naturalization number. DOH!!

ETA again - they charged my CC on June 2nd. I assume that is a good sign :) But maybe not, what do I know.

You didn't just complete the atf version and photo copy it for the police chief? I didn't give him an original and the photocopy ensures he got the same thing as the atf.

so quick question (i hope) do i need to put every other weapon down in my bound book now, or only the weapons i purchased using the license ?

This gets asked and answered every week or two. Fed Law says YOU are licensed and must enter every C&R gun acquired/disposed of while you are licensed . . . doesn't matter if you found it under a rock, bought it with a C&R or stole it from a cop. [wink]

Anybody have issues (or advice, for that matter) when sending in a C&R renewal late?

Can I use the same (on time) form?

(No, no C&R purchases were made during the lapse period, which has been a month.)

Thanks.

You didn't just complete the atf version and photo copy it for the police chief? I didn't give him an original and the photocopy ensures he got the same thing as the atf.

When you complete the PDF then print it, there is a CLEO Copy printed as well. The CLEOs admin informed me I had to complete section 10 which is the "non-resident Alien" section. I pointed out I am NOT an alien. Either way I added a few things on the CLEO copy and left my cell number if there were issues and have not heard back from her so I assume he has everything he needed for my app. Still no letter from ATF though, hopefully soon.

I let my C&R expire, but I just mailed the CLEO copy to them, never heard anything one way or the other. Their signature isn't required, they just have to be notified

And my check is cashed

Really means nothing.

I got my renewal notice on/about May 1st, mailed it back the next day. A week later my cc has hit for the $30. This time I asked for an extension letter (last renewal went over 3 months and only was issued AFTER our US Senator made inquiry at my request). Haven't seen anything and don't expect to until sometime in August!

Well, sent application April 1st. Received letter telling me my mistakes around 5/15 Coreccted and sent back to them on 5/19 Received My license this past week so overall less than two months if I had not made a mistake. Pretty cool to be a C&R FFL holder. I would like to thank all the great people on this sitefor answering all the questions that have been asked and sharing their knowledge. With out this post- thread I would have not know about nor applied for a C&R. Thanks again.

Finally got around to filling out my paperwork and will be dropping it off at the post office tomorrow morning.

Update 5/12/14

Application went out in the mail on 5/8
Card was charged this morning 5/12

seeing some of the post after mine, I expected to get mine back to correct. As of today I still have not yet gotten anything back. Hopefully that is a good sign since it has been a month.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

So I'm looking at Section 14, the middle two questions that they ask you to initial have to do with conduct of business. As a collector, I will not be conducting business. Do people just initial those anyway? Has anyone put N/A instead and had their application go through?

Just mailed out the application today. Had to search through the sticky to answer some questions about the application. Great sticky BTW. Can't wait to get the license as I've been thinking of getting a Tokarev and Makarov pistol.

seeing some of the post after mine, I expected to get mine back to correct. As of today I still have not yet gotten anything back. Hopefully that is a good sign since it has been a month.

Got my license in the mail today! very surprised because I left all the questions blank that others got returned for and still no issues. Now where to spend my money first!

Application went out in the mail on 5/8
Card was charged this morning 5/12
Received license 6/23

46 days

Last edited:
No telling how they do this.

Last renewal, it took >3 months and then only after I had then-Sen. Brown contact BATFE. They lied to him that it had already been mailed but the postmark was 3 days after the Sen. contacted BATFE.

This time I sent my renewal in 1 day after receipt of the form, also requested an extension letter and have heard nothing (6 weeks and counting). I don't expect to see it until mid-August at the earliest unless I stir them up again.

Ok, something I've never been able to completely understand:
If a firearm is C&R eligible, are you required to have a C&R to purchase it? Or does this just make it easier to do, particularly across state lines?

I suppose what I'm really asking is this - You have your C&R and a collection of appropriate firearms, all of which have been checked into your bound book. I have my LTC, but not a C&R, and want to buy a firearm from you. All other variables accounted for, is this transfer legal? Do you just sell the firearm and check it out of your bound book?

Further, as you're an FFL, are you still subject to the four FTF sales/year in MA? Or, are your C&R firearms exempted from that rule?

Ok, something I've never been able to completely understand:
If a firearm is C&R eligible, are you required to have a C&R to purchase it? Or does this just make it easier to do, particularly across state lines?

I suppose what I'm really asking is this - You have your C&R and a collection of appropriate firearms, all of which have been checked into your bound book. I have my LTC, but not a C&R, and want to buy a firearm from you. All other variables accounted for, is this transfer legal? Do you just sell the firearm and check it out of your bound book?

Further, as you're an FFL, are you still subject to the four FTF sales/year in MA? Or, are your C&R firearms exempted from that rule?

You do not need a C&R FFL to buy a firearm that qualifies as a C&R. All the 03 FFL does is let you buy (and sell, with exceptions) qualifying firearms in interstate commerce without involving another type of FFL. That's it. It has no bearing on MA law WRT transfers.

Back
Top Bottom