• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL BoD Elections

Hey Michael. My name is Jim Finnerty. You know me (or at least we've met). We were in Jon Green's pistol instructor class together.

I'm running for the BoD, and I happen to help out here at NES. I'm not running as an NES member, I'm running as a Massachusetts gun owner and GOAL member. I'm a 30-year marketing professional, and I think I can help. We (NES and GOAL) all want the same thing, and we need a strong organization to get there. ........

I agree with Jim and will vote for him. I'd like to see similar well thought out statements from other NES members running for the GOAL BOD so I can know who they are and decide whether I'll vote for them.

Martlet, I don't know it just seems like a few people have vendettas against GOAL, maybe not but it just seems that way.

I know things may need to change at GOAL, I just think the A.G. office if they read this stuff is laughing at gun owners fighting each other.

There are plenty of positve ways spread information and we should stay that course.

I honestly don't think anyone here has an issue with GOAL. Some of us have an issue with how GOAL is being run. Two very different things.

I don't see any vendettas against GOAL. I saw a legitimate question get asked, then the BoD telling the membership to STFU. That's what caused the infighting, IMHO.

This is it in a nutshell. The GOAL BOD put themselves on the ridge line by acting the way they did when legitimate questions that ~should~ be easy to answer were asked. It was hard not to notice that something was "off" after so many months went by with nothing but comments that basically blamed Bob P and NES in general for noticing those self-described "serious issues."

"I wish I had a big red button that I could push to shut down NES forever."

If I had a big red button, I'd wish that we could push it to fix whatever these issues are so that we could all get past this and get on with fighting our common enemies together.

Jason Sawyer, Melrose, MA
GOAL life member and reluctant rabble-rouser

Last edited:
I agree with Jim and will vote for him. I'd like to see similar well thought out statements from other NES members running for the GOAL BOD so I can know who they are and decide whether I'll vote for them.

That is what I mentioned in my first reply to this thread, maybe I missed the thread about whose running and their background but I think that it is necessary.

So when do we vote?
Cant remember is this a mail in thing?

Yes, ballots go out by mail. The must go out no less than 40 days prior to the annual meeting and must be received back no less than 10 days prior. (The bylaws don't specify whether it's calendar days or business days.)

Basically we could get them any minute now.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I don't think the NES community at large knows which NESers (with the exception of Jim) are officially running. (At least I don't.)

Last edited:
That is what I mentioned in my first reply to this thread, maybe I missed the thread about whose running and their background but I think that it is necessary.

This. Not just NES candidates, but ALL candidates. Remember that a majority of the BoD voted to discontinue ToM. I would like to know how each of the existing BoD members voted and where they stand.

I think Chris S "gets it". I also met another BoD member before the last meeting and he "gets it". I don't know where any other stand, but would guess there are others thay may be worthy of a vote.

From the GOAL email I just received, it looks like the ballots will be mailed near the end of next week. They're asking for volunteers to stuff envelopes on the 21st, 22nd, and the 23rd.

Sent from my way-too-expensive cell phone using Tapatalk. Please excuse spelling errors and missing links.

From the GOAL email I just received, it looks like the ballots will be mailed near the end of next week. They're asking for volunteers to stuff envelopes on the 21st, 22nd, and the 23rd.

Sent from my way-too-expensive cell phone using Tapatalk. Please excuse spelling errors and missing links.

Yep. They need envelope stuffers. A boring, tedious, time consuming job. I'll be there on day 1, the 21st, to help out. This "may be last time" doing this but I feel it's ok since we'll be getting the ballots out and that's a good thing. Remember that the office folks aren't necessarily the problem here. Hope to see some other NESers there too.

You'll get the first peeks at the ballot, though! [WINK]

Incumbent BoD members who are up for re-election this year are:

• Jay Beard - BoD member since 2005
  • Mark Clerici - BoD member since 2008
  • Michael Donnelly BoD member since 2006
  • Donald Kusser - Has been a BoD member or officer since before 2000*
  • Wendy Parsons - BoD member since 2007
  • Harry Vandoloski - Has been a BoD member or officer since before 2001*

*The digitized records only go back to 2001.

I have no idea how any of the above members voted on the TOM thing or anything else. I don't know any of the current board members personally and have nothing against them individually. I do feel that the current board as a whole shares some responsibility for the current mess, and therefore I will most likely not vote for any incumbents. (This is my personal decision as a member and voter. Obviously everyone has to make their own decision.)

I will be voting for Jim (Eddie Coyle here on NES.) I don't know who else is running, whether they're from NES or not, and will be deciding on each individually. NES affiliation alone doesn't mean anything to me in the context of the GOAL elections. There are guys on NES that I'd vote for (Jim,) and others that I would not. Depends on what they have to say, not where they say it.

One quick strategy note: You can vote for up to six members, but you don't HAVE to vote for six. If only one guy is worth voting for just vote for that one guy and send in the ballot. If there are only three people running that I like I'll only vote for those three and no others.

Also: Filled out ballots should be in the mail by April 1st to be safe. They must be RECEIVED (not just post-marked) no less than 10 days before the annual meeting. Get them in the mail by April 1st and you should be safe. (That's less than 7 weeks away!)

I estimate that at least 700 votes will be needed to win a seat. I don't know if there are 700 NESers who are eligible voters and who care. (I hope there are, but I kind of doubt it.) In any case if I were running I would be looking beyond just NES to find votes.

Last edited:
You go Jim, I hope you and several others win so the GOAL BOD will have some semblance of rationality & commitment to the organization... NOT JUST THEIR OWN INTERESTS.
Enough is enough.

Hey Michael. My name is Jim Finnerty. You know me (or at least we've met). We were in Jon Green's pistol instructor class together.

I'm running for the BoD, and I happen to help out here at NES. I'm not running as an NES member, I'm running as a Massachusetts gun owner and GOAL member. I'm a 30-year marketing professional, and I think I can help. We (NES and GOAL) all want the same thing, and we need a strong organization to get there.

GOAL membership is at an all-time high (thanks in no small part to NES) yet GOAL is losing money. This is not the recipe for a strong organization. GOAL's biggest expense (after payroll) is TOM, so a GOAL member went to a meeting to ask if it was worth it.

Here's a simplified version of the way the conversation looks since then:

GOAL MEMBER: That's a lot of money going to TOM, what's it being used for?
BoD: Good question. We'll get back to you later.
Later...
A FEW GOAL MEMBERS: So, what's up with TOM? Something looks fishy.
BoD: It does look fishy. We'll get back to you later.
Later...
EVEN MORE GOAL MEMBERS: Why is GOAL spending so much money on a newspaper?
BoD: We're not telling. Stop asking.
A FRUSTRATED GUY ON NES: What the **** is going on?
BoD: YOU SWORE!!! WE'RE NOT TALKING TO YOU ANY MORE!!!​

Is any of that factually incorrect? Has the BoD provided any information so far that would make a sane person think that there isn't something going on? This is like the Clintons and Whitewater.

People are understandably frustrated. They're further confused by the murky relationship between GOAL, the GOAL Foundation, and TOM, and the cross-pollinated boards of directors for these organizations.

A few answers a few months ago would've completely defused this situation, but there was nothing but obfuscation and silence from the BoD. This is a failure in leadership that falls squarely and entirely on the BoD. There may be nothing shady going on, but that's not the way it looks from the outside - and every GOAL member not on the BoD is on the outside. The frequent 'executive sessions' are a constant reminder of this fact.

You want to know what I'd 'fix' and how I'd further 'the cause'? How's this:

I'd propose ways to cut GOAL's expenses and raise revenue. GOAL as an organization cannot continue to exist unless it is financially healthy. With more revenue, GOAL can do more to introduce new shooters to the sport.

If you want specifics, I can provide them, but this post is long enough already.

The BoD needs to uncirlce the wagons, provide some transparency, and stop alienating a few thousand gun owners because they happen to post on NES.

On a side note, there was recently some criticism aimed our way for not signing our names to posts here. I can't help but notice that the OP didn't sign his full name.

On a side note, there was recently some criticism aimed our way for not signing our names to posts here. I can't help but notice that the OP didn't sign his full name.

That's only because they want to harass you by sending stuff to your home and by booting you off the "who gets a ballot" list. I hope mine shows up this time.

That's only because they want to harass you by sending stuff to your home and by booting you off the "who gets a ballot" list. I hope mine shows up this time.

Come on over, Mike Yacino Jr.. I'm not hard to find.

I guess it would be prudent to be sure that those who want and are eligible to vote, should be sure they receive a ballot. If not they should contact GOAL. If there is wholesale shenanigans it will show up. Then it would be the time to disembowel GOAL.

Where's the list of NES'rs that are running for spots on the BOD ?

There's no 'list' it's EC, Jim Finnerty and myself Joe Currie. We would appreciate every vote possible; I received appx 450 votes last year and just missed the cutoff. As there is no third party verification every vote counts!!

Yep. They need envelope stuffers. A boring, tedious, time consuming job. I'll be there on day 1, the 21st, to help out. This "may be last time" doing this but I feel it's ok since we'll be getting the ballots out and that's a good thing. Remember that the office folks aren't necessarily the problem here. Hope to see some other NESers there too.

So, those of us eligible to vote should see something in the next 10-14 days? I assume they will mail once all are stuffed and ready to go next week.

Since I joined in feb of 2009, I should get a ballot this time round.

There's no 'list' it's EC, Jim Finnerty and myself Joe Currie. We would appreciate every vote possible; I received appx 450 votes last year and just missed the cutoff. As there is no third party verification every vote counts!!

You got 487. You would have needed 658 to beat David LaRosa, and he only got in because Nancy Snow got elevated to Secretary. This one is going to be more contentious that the last one and the incumbents are going to be pulling out all the stops. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have no idea who you are or why I should vote for you. If you've been campaigning I haven't noticed.

Is that it, Joe? I thought there were three or four NESers that made the ballot. BTW, I don't know you either, but you have my vote, based on the quality and content of your posts.

I'm supporting:

Moysey
Finnerty
Anthony
Beard
Donnelly
Currie

As to who I am, my user name is my name. I've signed a letter to the BoD and they have my email address. My home address isn't hard to find and I've used my last name here several times. BTW, I'm NOT the guy in the central MA city that starts with W. Please don't bother him.

Back
Top Bottom