• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL BoD Elections

How or who counts the votes?

From what I understand, it's volunteers supervised by the board members who are not up for re-election. I will be volunteering to help out this time around.

NES'er should understand the idea of bullet voting, vote only for the NES people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_voting

Candidates may seek to encourage bullet voting in certain situations. One example is where there is a Bloc voting election for two seats of the same office, and there are several candidates (say A, B, and C). Voters in such a situation typically have two votes. Candidate A encourages his voters to vote only for him and not use their second vote. If the second vote is cast for B or C, it helps A's opponents. The situation is most pronounced where A is of one party and B and C are of another party. If voters from B and C's party vote for them, while A's partisans cast one vote for A and split their second vote between B and C, A is significantly disadvant

Is that it, Joe? I thought there were three or four NESers that made the ballot. BTW, I don't know you either, but you have my vote, based on the quality and content of your posts.

Last year, IIRC, there were four or five NES'rs running...this year it's Jim and myself.

I would like to take a moment to voice my endorsement of Jim Finnerty. Not because he is an NES member, but because he is a good man. I have seen Jim in action. He is a masterful and persuasive speaker and he is not afraid of conflict. I have watched him at the Shirley Rod & Gun Club (where he is VP) stand up for what he believes in. If you are going to argue with Jim I suggest that you prepare well ahead of time. He is an innovative thinker with seemingly boundless energy. When he takes on a project he gets it done, no BS. He certainly has my vote.

NES'er should understand the idea of bullet voting, vote only for the NES people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_voting

Candidates may seek to encourage bullet voting in certain situations. One example is where there is a Bloc voting election for two seats of the same office, and there are several candidates (say A, B, and C). Voters in such a situation typically have two votes. Candidate A encourages his voters to vote only for him and not use their second vote. If the second vote is cast for B or C, it helps A's opponents. The situation is most pronounced where A is of one party and B and C are of another party. If voters from B and C's party vote for them, while A's partisans cast one vote for A and split their second vote between B and C, A is significantly disadvant

That is relevant if the nth vote is for someone not desired. There are 6 votes and people here are posting between 5 and 6 names. Yet there are 8 people running. This means that 4 are new, 4 are incumbent. Not all new ones are NESrs but that doesn't mean they are bad candidates (Dr Steve Mosley is "Negotiator" BTW and Michael (last name?) who I don't believe is a NES frequent flyer is a friend of his). It also doesn't mean all 4 incumbents are bad. Beard has been lauded throughout this process as open minded. So voting for the 4 newbies and Beard would not be a bullet voting issue for someone who wanted to see significant change on the board.

With all the Machiavellian moves made this weekend, the election and fresh blood and new perspectives on the BoD are even more critical. You may also note that the elections were moved back to April...

I was recruited to join a group of about 8 folks counting the ballots at the GOAL HQ last night.

My observations:

- Nice building. GOAL is in the first floor of a two floor building owned by a construction company. Modern office space, very clean, less expensive than the old place, and GOAL has a great relationship with the landlord and I am told it is K9 friendly. They were still unpacking, but it still looked pretty good.

- Jim Wallace has a nice office with an executive washroom/shower (really!!). No, GOAL did not spend member money for this feature - it's just how the building came - but it will provide a very convenient way for Jim to freshen up when he gets the phone call that Deval is on his way over for a meeting about gun law reform.

- The ballots were packed away in two sealed/dated boxes. Jon Green had to go get them from some sort of locked storage - they weren't just "laying around".

- Ballots had all been opened, since some arrived with renewal checks, but were delivered to the counting team in original envelopes. We broke up into pairs and worked in teams double-counting batches.

- While there was not absolute protection against chicanery (open ballots could theoretically be tampered with or selective discarded), it would have taken a LOT of work on someone's part to "pre-count" so they could pull just enough to swing the results. I have absolutely no reason to believe anything improper happened, and the procedure used was about the best it could be given the fact that it was too late to have the bylaws altered to allow use of a professional election firm. I am hoping that GOAL can tighten this up a bit during the upcoming "friendly times" so it can be prepared for any hotly contested election in the future.

- The volunteers included outsiders from the gun community, one goal staffer (Jon Green), plus a board member or two. From the various introductions, I got the impression that most of the people there didn't know each other except by name/reputation.

- I'm not doing this again - my back was sore after leaning over all those ballots. GOAL seems to be leaning in the direction of using a professional election firm next year and, if it does not, the pain of the ballot counting process will be a self-inflicted injury.

- Two invalid ballots were found in the batch the team I was on processed. One person sent in the biographies with the selections checked, and the other invalid ballot had one too many candidates selected. It was actually some joker who put my name down as a write-in, but didn't even manage to fill out a valid ballot when doing so :).

It was me, Rob, mil-dot, Chris S, (now Mr. Secretary,) Lynne (Mrs. Vice President,) Jon Greene, and one more gentleman who's name I forgot (he was a board member as I recall.)

Everything was on the up and up.

Rob,
Thanks for that update. I believe that your opinion of the election validity carries great weight here.

-JR

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you to those that participated and thank you for the update Rob. Your opinion carries a lot of weight around here. Might just be time to find my checkbook and renew.

Aloha

So when will the official results be communicated? Email to GOAL members? Thanks for the update Rob!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[grin] I was notified by Lynne Roberts an hour ago, I am a new BOD member!

Thank you, one and all, for votes and support!!! I will do my best to lead GOAL, continue to grow the membership, support clubs and strengthen 2A rights!!

[grin] I was notified by Lynne Roberts an hour ago, I am a new BOD member!

Thank you, one and all, for votes and support!!! I will do my best to lead GOAL, continue to grow the membership, support clubs and strengthen 2A rights!!

It's really great when my vote counts for something in this God forsaken state. Glad you're on the Board.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom