• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an interesting passage in the new Section 32:

So, does this statement give citizens the means to petition the AG, via the EOPSS, to explain why a certain weapon is (or is not) unfair or deceptive?!? Does this avenue exist currently, I was not aware that it did?

Knowing how this state operates, it probably means that if a liberal hears a model name/number in a news story, they can petition to ban the evil firearm mentioned. Kidding of course. Sort of.

+1

I don't get "freaked out" over this crap anymore, I refuse to. Is it obnoxious? Sure... we can either deal with the reality at hand though (and find ways to fight it or work around it, or just ignore it, risk pending) or we can armflap and piss ourselves with fear over "what ifs" but that option isn't very productive.

-Mike

So with this new legislation around the LTC-A, how is it going to effect Davis vs. Grimes?

Will the whole case become moot? Or can its premise be carried over if it ends up being that the CLEO just stops issuing LTC-A's and only FID's (unless you are special)?

I just got the email from GOAL about this. It includes the summary which seems to contain some misinformation - particularly section 30 (in the summary) which refers to requiring people to send a list of their firearms upon renewal, which does not seem to be present in the actual bill..... [thinking]

That is one heck of a mistake although I hope that's exactly what it is since it would mean universal registration.

I just got the email from GOAL about this. It includes the summary which seems to contain some misinformation - particularly section 30 (in the summary) which refers to requiring people to send a list of their firearms upon renewal, which does not seem to be present in the actual bill..... [thinking]
Yup, I just read that section and said WTF?
SECTION 30. [Reducing Gun Trafficking] Requires applicants for the renewal of a license to carry to list guns they still own or have lost, sold or acquired since the date of the last renewal or issuance.

So with this new legislation around the LTC-A, how is it going to effect Davis vs. Grimes?

Will the whole case become moot? Or can its premise be carried over if it ends up being that the CLEO just stops issuing LTC-A's and only FID's (unless you are special)?

I hope it does not end up like that

Reporting all guns you currently own. Are u shitting me - they can't even facilitate the licensing process as it is now - never mind if they have to record this info in a computer

SECTION 18. [Reducing Gun Trafficking] Requires all secondary market gun sales to take place at a location operated by a licensed firearms dealer and requires the dealer to submit pertinent information
to DCJIS.

SECTION 18. Section 128A of said chapter 140 is hereby amended by adding the following 2 sentences:-
Any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section shall comply with section 131E and shall take
place at the location of a dealer licensed pursuant to section 122, who shall transmit the information
required by this section for purchases and sales to the department of criminal justice information 8
services. A licensed dealer may charge the seller a fee not to exceed $25 for each sale or transfer
submitted on behalf of the seller to the department of criminal justice information services

Obviously this is the big one for us. This is all about the "universal background checks" and those Brady points the state will get by enforcing this. I think one way to attack this is to look at the cost of passing down a collection from father to son. A 25 gun collection may cost 25x $25 = $625.00 to transfer (unless there is some direct-family exception in the current law?).

This is 2014 I don't see why a friggen iPhone/Android app couldn't do the eFA10 live with the background check included. That should be enough to satisfy the "universal background check" people but still keep the FTF status quo for us.

The implementation leaves some uncertainty for out-of-state acquisitions, building your own firearms (??), and how the stupid off-list guns will be handled.

SECTION 41. [School Safety] Increases the penalty for someone convicted of carrying a firearm on school
premises and makes such an offense a “statutory right of arrest.”

Ugh, it's going to be hard to argue against this with the antis in this state. The big problem is now wandering across an arbitrary property line can ruin your life, whereas before you'd get in minor trouble. We can note that anybody actually *doing* something wrong on school property would be able to be charged with whatever actual crimes they committed. Need more good arguments against this.

SECTION 30. [Reducing Gun Trafficking] Requires applicants for the renewal of a license to carry to list
guns they still own or have lost, sold or acquired since the date of the last renewal or issuance.
This is horseshit but also hard to argue against. The antis will say that we have a responsibility to keep track of the guns that we own. Now a paperwork snafu can get you in big trouble? Need some good arguments against it.

There are a few things that are OK in there. I'm ok getting rid of class B. I don't like the idea of EOPSS controlling suitability but at least having a state-wide standard may be better than the little fiefdoms we have now with police chiefs. FID going may issue is bad on one hand, but may help our case in the long run.

Does this basically force you to prove that you are in fear of injury to get an unrestricted license or is it just me?

SECTION 19. Section 129B of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out
paragraph (1) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-

(1) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or
any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit
to the licensing authority an application for a firearm identification card, or renewal of the same, which
the licensing authority may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued a card
and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason,
including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only...

You beat me to it. NO elimination of restrictions. No different than what it is now.

Reporting all guns you currently own. Are u shitting me - they can't even facilitate the licensing process as it is now - never mind if they have to record this info in a computer

The bill doesn't actually say that. In Section 22, it specifies that "The form for renewal shall include an affidavit whereby the applicant shall verify that the applicant has not lost any firearms or had any firearms stolen from the applicant’s possession since the date of the applicant’s last renewal or issuance"

It doesn't, however, specify HOW that will be implemented (Yes/No question or list of what you own or other).

Link to bill text:
http://goal.org/Documents/An Act Relative to the Reduction of Gun Violence (HD4253).pdf

- - - Updated - - -

SECTION 19. Section 129B of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out
paragraph (1) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-

You beat me to it. NO elimination of restrictions. No different than what it is now.

SUM-NA BLITCH!! Was hoping I was reading that wrong!

This is changed for a very good reason..

Well they finally got it in there. This part below will make many many people prohibated.

"b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year;"

not sure there are any one year misdemeanor's

current wording

b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than two years;

They took the federal wording but not the federal def for the wording. So convicted of any crime in mass and you are now a PP They are blind siding everyone.

SECTION 26. Section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out paragraph (d) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-
(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or targetpractice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:
(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of: (a) a felony; b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possess lion, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C; or (f) a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(33);

To take your gun rights via an end game. Many traffic violations like driving to endanger will now disqualify you as a gun owner, even if the ticket is 50 years old.
How many have been given tickets that you did not agree with but for the sake of expediency just paid the fine and moved on, after all, years ago there was not even a surcharge system. Your gun rights were never in question. If they were you would have handled the manner differently.

Now, laws are being passed that now bring additional punishment, 20,30 50 years later. How the hell can double jeopardy be used in changing gun laws that re-open the case. And if old cases are to be re-opened can we now ask for a new hearing on that case to fight double punishment?

The part about lost or stolen fire arms. I thought you already had to report that? Seems pretty stupid not to report a stolen fire arm any ways...

Goal better do there job and punch holes in this crap so comma2a doesn't have to defend half the gun owners in this state over stupid crap that would make us lose our rights in this state cause a moving violation .

This is horseshit but also hard to argue against. The antis will say that we have a responsibility to keep track of the guns that we own. Now a paperwork snafu can get you in big trouble? Need some good arguments against it.

easy to argue against, it serves no purpose and is defacto registration

The bill doesn't actually say that. In Section 22, it specifies that "The form for renewal shall include an affidavit whereby the applicant shall verify that the applicant has not lost any firearms or had any firearms stolen from the applicant’s possession since the date of the applicant’s last renewal or issuance"

It doesn't, however, specify HOW that will be implemented (Yes/No question or list of what you own or other).

i like to think it will be similar to when you check your luggage and they ask you if it has been out of your control or if anyone has put anything into it. i dont know if this is what it will be, but i like to hope so.

Channel 22 just announced that renewers will be required to submit a list of all guns owned. If this becomes the case, all of my required records will henceforth be written in Mandarin on rice paper in squirrel-bile ink and submitted in a frozen block of rat piss.

The part about lost or stolen fire arms. I thought you already had to report that? Seems pretty stupid not to report a stolen fire arm any ways...

Goal better do there job and punch holes in this crap so comma2a doesn't have to defend half the gun owners in this state over stupid crap that would make us lose our rights in this state cause a moving violation .
Do you understand how GOAL works? GOAL isn't the legislature. GOAL isn't an arm of the government. GOAL is a collection of voters who support second amendment rights in MA. You want this not to pass? Get on the phone with your Rep and your State Senator NOW and get all your friends to do it and for them to get THEIR friends on it or it's gonna pass. The more "no's" they hear the more likely they are going to be to listen.

Well they finally got it in there. This part below will make many many people prohibated.

"b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year;"

not sure there are any one year misdemeanor's

current wording

b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than two years;

They took the federal wording but not the federal def for the wording. So convicted of any crime in mass and you are now a PP They are blind siding everyone.

SECTION 26. Section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out paragraph (d) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-
(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or targetpractice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:
(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of: (a) a felony; b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C; or (f) a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(33);

Wow!!! This is huge. This isn't getting much play here but will affect thousands of people. Cant believe this one. Any chance this gets stricken?

Last edited:
To take your gun rights via an end game. Many traffic violations like driving to endanger will now disqualify you as a gun owner, even if the ticket is 50 years old.
How many have been given tickets that you did not agree with but for the sake of expediency just paid the fine and moved on, after all, years ago there was not even a surcharge system. Your gun rights were never in question. If they were you would have handled the manner differently.

Now, laws are being passed that now bring additional punishment, 20,30 50 years later. How the hell can double jeopardy be used in changing gun laws that re-open the case. And if old cases are to be re-opened can we now ask for a new hearing on that case to fight double punishment?

WE NEED TO CREATE A LIST OF MISDEMEANORS THAT CARRY A 1+ YEAR MAX PENALTY.

When the middle-roaders see the list of petty crimes that can remove a person's rights it may be a powerful tool for us.

That's going to be a nightmare to figure out.

The issuing agency (or whomever), is going to have to find out when the penalties for certain misdemeanors went from less than one year to one year or more.

One big "got'cha" is going to be for people with pre 5/27/94 DUI's.

What was the max potential penalty on 5/26/94?

Was it one year, less?

What if you got the DUI in 1970?

What was the penalty then?

So after all this time we have:

No more private sales
Inclusion of all long guns into the same category as handguns
Forced registration each year of what you own even though that its done via transfers
Avoidance of HIPAA laws...

So what good was done by the pro gun folks here?

By the way on another note channel 5 just spent 9 minutes on a Doe that was hurt inside a house, treated by a vet tontry and save its life and then everyone was broken up when it died..including the news person. Suffice to say this state is full of testicular challenge sheeple

Sent from the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom