Hand Sanitizer

there actually IS some chemical engineering going on right now on new ways of achieving scotch and bourbon. One technique i have seen is they put the hooch in a giant stainless steel tanks, and toss in wood slats of oak, and other woods, for aging and flavor. So instead of the labor intensive method of coopering up white oak barrels, and aging for years (and losing the "angel's share"), and then maybe moving it into other sherry barrels, etc....is all bypassed. You toss in wood, maybe pressurize the tank, to make the hooch go in and out of the wood, and in maybe 6 months you have the equivalent of 8 years in a wood barrel.

Sacrilege

Sacrilege

Not really. You like Woodford Reserve?
They pipe in steam to their warehouse to heat up the barrels, then turn it off to cool them off. Doing this many times a year “simulates” the barrels aging many more years than they actually do. Is that “cheating”

Not really. You like Woodford Reserve?
They pipe in steam to their warehouse to heat up the barrels, then turn it off to cool them off. Doing this many times a year “simulates” the barrels aging many more years than they actually do. Is that “cheating”
1586894206301.jpeg

It's either diluted foreshots (acetone smell) or straight 80% from a tails (wet dog or earthy smell) cut.
It will work, just bring along a small bottle of hand lotion and apply afterwards to keep skin from drying out or stinking.

Only way to test it is with an alcohol tralle. It measures the ABV%.
Amazon product ASIN B013S1VAM4View: https://www.amazon.com/HYDROMETER-ALCOHOL-0-200-Tralle-Bellwether/dp/B013S1VAM4

The higher the ABV% the more gel you can add to a mix to ease the harshness of the alcohol.
I’m adding some lavender essential oil to mask the “smells”. I’ll let you know 🤔

i have not researched, or tried it. But my casual reading on the topic is, if you cook the mash too hot, you end up with poisonous substances, either very poisonous, or just mildly poisonous (fusil oil), depending on how badly you F*** it up

if you go to a distillery and watch, they start boiling the mash, and as it condenses out it goes to one of two places, Holding tank1 or Holding tank 2. The start off on #1, and the gunk flows into it. Then when the distillate gets "purer", they send it to tank #2. Then when it starts getting crappy again the switch back to #1.

They take the #2 tank, and barrel it.
They take the #1 tank and re-distill it in the next batch.
At some point, the stuff they have left over is pure crap, and they just throw it away.
So there is some science and art to exactly HOW you distill the hooch.

Edit: enbloc has an excellent depiction!
Depends on the distillery operation. Some distilleries will put heads and tails from a previous batch into the still along with fresh wash and run it. Some will just put in tails.
Scotch distilleries run just pot stills for flavor. Whiskey makers usually run plated columns.
Rum makers will place previous cuts in Retorts (AKA Thumpers). First thumper will have low wines, second high wines.

1586899661164.png

^^^ This is done for flavor not High ABV.

To get Azeotrope 95.5% ABV it's run through a column with a dephlegmator or reflux condenser at the top. The dephleg/relfux condenser sends non-alcoholic water back down to the boiler and alcohol vapor loads in the column. The water flowing through the dephleg/reflux condenser is slowed and the high ABV vapor travels over to a product condenser and is collected via gravity.
Purity comes from column height (some a stories high) and number of plates, or, straight column with just packing inside.

Negative, but haven't tried to contact. Placed order the day this thread was created.

Same.

I had also ordered a case of 12-300ml bottles back in early March, from a place in Cali that said it was “in stock”, still hasn’t shipped.

At least they answered my email pretty quickly and said they’ll cancel my order ASAP if I wanted to, and that they’re basically stuck with all kinds of shipping issues right now due to the Corona and new shipping company policies or limits for pick ups etc.

Sounds like a complete shit show for any online shopping in general right now.

Anyone receive their sanitizer from the shave place? Or any contact?
Nothing.
I've been emailing daily. I'm moving and need to know what's going on. I either need to cancel or, I'd prefer, change the shipping address. But they don't respond. If I don't hear soon I'll have to call it a scam and pull back my money from my card. A real shame because I'm ok with a delay, but by not getting back to me they will end up delivering it to someone else, and I'm not paying for that.

I just received my shipping notice (email) from the shaving company like 5 mins ago. Says it’s being sent now. Check your emails as I’m sure we all ordered around the same day this was originally posted.

I’m adding some lavender essential oil to mask the “smells”. I’ll let you know 🤔
If using an N95 mask, remember that "N" stands for "NOT oil-resistant" and may break down the fibers faster and lessen protection...

I just received my shipping notice (email) from the shaving company like 5 mins ago. Says it’s being sent now. Check your emails as I’m sure we all ordered around the same day this was originally posted.
No email and pretty much too late now, I've got movers coming tomorrow. I still have access till the 18th so I'll wait till tonight, I paid for 2 day shipping so if they get it in the carriers hands today I can still get it. Or just respond to my email and change the address.

No email and pretty much too late now, I've got movers coming tomorrow. I still have access till the 18th so I'll wait till tonight, I paid for 2 day shipping so if they get it in the carriers hands today I can still get it. Or just respond to my email and change the address.

Coming back to Mass, eh? [laugh]

Anyone receive their sanitizer from the shave place? Or any contact?

No word yet, but I did look at my order on the site and it says to expect 10 business day delay in shipping. I ordered 4/3, so still 8 days from order.

On another note, I also made an order with Adam's Polishes on the same day. I just got an email this morning that it has shipped.

No word yet, but I did look at my order on the site and it says to expect 10 business day delay in shipping. I ordered 4/3, so still 8 days from order.

On another note, I also made an order with Adam's Polishes on the same day. I just got an email this morning that it has shipped.
I think for the price gouging they are doing a little faster shipping and communication is in order? They are 4 times the price of other options!

The blind thing comes from shady moonshiners using automobile radiators as condensers. Making a safe still isn't that hard if you don't meth out on the materials.

Oh yeah. The OTHER blind thing. Yes, wood alcohol will kill you good. If you ARE going to drink the hand sanitizer, use the ingredients you would use for whiskey, etc.
Actually the "Going blind" and "Deaths" from drinking moonshine were caused by the US Government during prohibition. Wood alcohol was added to denatured alcohol to spread propaganda that drinking illegally distilled spirits WILL KILL YOU or cause blindness. And it did... Dumbass shiners added denatured alcohol to the wash to boost the output. Government knew it would end up killing people and yet they let it happen. People in the medical community pleaded with them to stop poising even rubbing alcohol but it continued. For a long time.

Hence you still have the myths of methanol poisoning circulating today. I'll find the link about the UK study which show there is more methanol in a glass of Orange Juice than most store bought quality spirits. (BTW: The cure for methanol poising is to drink ethanol. Methanol is the crap that gives most people the hangover.)

Alcohol for Consumption: Long term use of any material in the vapor or collection path other than: Copper, Stainless, Glass, Wood, Natural cork, or PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) will leach into the alcohol product. It's not what the effects of alcohol do to the material. It's what the alcohol takes with it. It's why you see low 40% ABV in plastic containers at the liquor store, and anything above 40% ABV will be stored in glass with corks, or PTFE seals.

Alcohol for fuel: You'll see a lot of synthetics which over long term use WILL have to be replaced. For god dakes do not drink it!

There were some douchebags in Europe who were re-distilling E85 to add in another batch...

Flo Chemical in Ashburnham is selling it by the Gallon (might have a jug, but bring your own clean) or by the 5 gallon bucket.

$32 of you bring your own gallon jug, $35 if you don’t. $135 for a 5 gallon bucket.

Hospital grade, liquid not a gel.

Went to Walmart to pick up some oil for the wife’s car and saw this on the shelf & grabbed it fast

Nice. Yeah, we finally scored TP yesterday when we had to go to Target - we hadn't been looking for it, but our local grocery store never restocked it.

I think everything besides masks will start coming back in stock.

Back
Top Bottom