Hand Sanitizer

If you can’t find the store-bought stuff, we mixed cheap grain alcohol and aloe. Can hardly tell the difference.
I haven't been able to get the aloe either. I do have a bottle of Clear Spring.

I get that. But they've had 2 full weeks and no updates. And no response to email, and the phone no longer has an option for a person or even leaving a message, and their online "24x7" chat is turned off.
I put my move situation in my emails, all they need to do is say OK we'll change the shipping address.
But all I get is silence.
They may have been good in the past, but if cutting off communications is customer service to them, they won't last much longer.
I just sent another email asking them to "PLEASE RESPOND", they get till the 15th, then I have to call it fraud and go to my credit card company.

Lot of that going around - I wouldn't sweat it. They probably have 30x their usual volume to deal with.

I picked up a couple gallons of froggy's to give to my local pd and fire dept. Definitely made from heads and tails from a whiskey distillery, I know the earthy smell well. It will work fine though and the smell goes away after it evaporates. It leaves a clean feel, not too dried out on my skin or anything. It's not Purell but it'll do. I dropped a gallon off to them each with a pump dispenser and some 100ml spray bottles to use with it. They were quite pleased as they were all pretty much out of it and getting low on gloves.

I ordered a 4-gallon case. Yesterday a single gallon was delivered in a box where the shipping label said “12x12x12” and 32 lbs, where the box was 12x6x6 and weighed 8 lbs, haven’t called yet but will tomorrow.
Same situation here. I emailed them over the weekend and they said a bunch of shipments went out short. They said they are fixing it. Hopefully the rest will arrive soon.

i have found i am not actually USING all that much hand sanitizer. I get back in the car, take off the gloves if i was shopping, and a few squirts of hand sanitizer to finish it all. One big bottle in the car is only 1/2 gone after 2 months.

Now soap, that is a different matter! I am washing my hands about 20 times a day.

I get that. But they've had 2 full weeks and no updates. And no response to email, and the phone no longer has an option for a person or even leaving a message, and their online "24x7" chat is turned off.
I put my move situation in my emails, all they need to do is say OK we'll change the shipping address.
But all I get is silence.
They may have been good in the past, but if cutting off communications is customer service to them, they won't last much longer.
I just sent another email asking them to "PLEASE RESPOND", they get till the 15th, then I have to call it fraud and go to my credit card company.
Not unreasonable. You gotta do what you gotta do.

i have found i am not actually USING all that much hand sanitizer. I get back in the car, take off the gloves if i was shopping, and a few squirts of hand sanitizer to finish it all. One big bottle in the car is only 1/2 gone after 2 months.

Now soap, that is a different matter! I am washing my hands about 20 times a day.
Hopefully you take off the gloves before getting in the car. Otherwise your car door handles are contaminated, and the next time you open your door without gloves, your hands are now contaminated.

Not unreasonable. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Hopefully you take off the gloves before getting in the car. Otherwise your car door handles are contaminated, and the next time you open your door without gloves, your hands are now contaminated.
yep, open the back door, load the packages, pull off the gloves and put them into a plastic bag on the floor in the back seat, then open drivers door and use the hand sanitizer.

its kind of a weird decision when to take them off....you have to assume the packages from the store are contaminated, and the shopping cart...so you have to leave them on for a period of time when loading the car.

yep, open the back door, load the packages, pull off the gloves and put them into a plastic bag on the floor in the back seat, then open drivers door and use the hand sanitizer.

its kind of a weird decision when to take them off....you have to assume the packages from the store are contaminated, and the shopping cart...so you have to leave them on for a period of time when loading the car.

Yeah. I've been taking one glove off, (carefully), and using that "clean" ungloved hand to get my keys, unlock the truck, and open the door(s). Then I use my "dirty" gloved hand to throw everything into the cardboard boxes already in the truck including the glove I already took off. Last thing into the box is my other glove, then I spray my hands with sanitizer.

Pretty sure if I were in an operating room that I fcked up the process somewhere - but it's the best I could come up with for the hardware and grocery store runs.

Absolutely! I'll open the car door with them on. Might even put the key in the ignition and start the vehicle, but I have a bottle of cleaning spray (non-bleach) and paper towels. I wipe down keys, inside of car (anything I touch) and door handles.

When I get home, I wipe down all of the grocery packages with a soapy dishcloth. Did this for some of the things even before this, since I see all kinds of people (and stockers) handle everything. Now I wipe each item down. It's not like I don't have the time now. LOL. YMMV.

While it's important to remember that it's technically illegal, it isn't all that difficult to distill high proof alcohol. People have been doing it for years.

I'd tend to doubt someone doing so clearly for the purpose of making hand sanitizer for themselves would come to the attention of law enforcement.

While it's important to remember that it's technically illegal, it isn't all that difficult to distill high proof alcohol. People have been doing it for years.

I'd tend to doubt someone doing so clearly for the purpose of making hand sanitizer for themselves would come to the attention of law enforcement.
It is quite hard to make safe-to-drink alcohol. If you do it wrong you go blind

When I get home, I wipe down all of the grocery packages with a soapy dishcloth.
I would advise against this. Soap on it's own does nothing to actually kill. Detergents (be it lab grade ones like Triton-X 100, Tween-20, etc) or the ones used in commercial soaps (sodium laureth sulfate) just allow for the solubilization of compounds which don't normally go into aqueous solutions. High enough concentrations can kill bacteria (we often perform chemical lysis using >5mM detergents when performing protein purifications), but the concentration required to do that are far greater than whats present in soap. Wiping a surface with soap is going to do little to nothing to remove them, and in fact, may only be spreading the virions from contaminant to clean surfaces, doing more harm than good. If you want to wipe, I would suggest doing so with a 10% bleach solution, made fresh daily. Alternatively, short chain alcohol can be used, though given the inability of bleach to be used on tissue, the alcohol may be better served saved for that application.

Yeah. I've been taking one glove off, (carefully), and using that "clean" ungloved hand to get my keys, unlock the truck, and open the door(s). Then I use my "dirty" gloved hand to throw everything into the cardboard boxes already in the truck including the glove I already took off. Last thing into the box is my other glove, then I spray my hands with sanitizer.

Pretty sure if I were in an operating room that I fcked up the process somewhere - but it's the best I could come up with for the hardware and grocery store runs.
I've been using plumber's gloves. Multiple pair. I wash them in very hot, very soapy water, then full cycle in the clothes dryer. Couple of weeks now.
Easier on/off without touching bare skin. Very serviceable.
No Covid so far...

1586878352164.png

It is quite hard to make safe-to-drink alcohol. If you do it wrong you go blind

The blind thing comes from shady moonshiners using automobile radiators as condensers. Making a safe still isn't that hard if you don't meth out on the materials.

However, my comment was directed at making high proof alcohol for purposes of sanitizer, not drinking! I don't drink hand sanitizer...

I highly doubt that I have the skills to create a palatable distilled beverage, anyway.

As long as you're using grain (potato, rye, rice, whatever) wouldn't you get ethyl alcohol and not methyl? OK. Back on topic.

Oh yeah. The OTHER blind thing. Yes, wood alcohol will kill you good. If you ARE going to drink the hand sanitizer, use the ingredients you would use for whiskey, etc.

I've been using plumber's gloves. Multiple pair. I wash them in very hot, very soapy water, then full cycle in the clothes dryer. Couple of weeks now.
No Covid so far...

Have you been tested? Cause 50-80% of people have no symptoms. ;)

you want something you can't find in the local stores, do a google search. you'll soon see ads popping up of where you can buy what you're looking for online...in stock and decently priced mostly. i'm still getting the sanitizer pop ups from last weeks search.

The blind thing comes from shady moonshiners using automobile radiators as condensers. Making a safe still isn't that hard if you don't meth out on the materials.

However, my comment was directed at making high proof alcohol for purposes of sanitizer, not drinking! I don't drink hand sanitizer...

I highly doubt that I have the skills to create a palatable distilled beverage, anyway.

Oh yeah. The OTHER blind thing. Yes, wood alcohol will kill you good. If you ARE going to drink the hand sanitizer, use the ingredients you would use for whiskey, etc.
i have not researched, or tried it. But my casual reading on the topic is, if you cook the mash too hot, you end up with poisonous substances, either very poisonous, or just mildly poisonous (fusil oil), depending on how badly you F*** it up

if you go to a distillery and watch, they start boiling the mash, and as it condenses out it goes to one of two places, Holding tank1 or Holding tank 2. The start off on #1, and the gunk flows into it. Then when the distillate gets "purer", they send it to tank #2. Then when it starts getting crappy again the switch back to #1.

They take the #2 tank, and barrel it.
They take the #1 tank and re-distill it in the next batch.
At some point, the stuff they have left over is pure crap, and they just throw it away.
So there is some science and art to exactly HOW you distill the hooch.

Edit: enbloc has an excellent depiction!

Last edited:
i have not researched, or tried it. But my casual reading on the topic is, if you cook the mash too hot, you end up with poisonous substances, either very poisonous, or just mildly poisonous (fusil oil), depending on how badly you F*** it up

Academically speaking, I've been interested in the idea of vacuum distillation. I wonder if there's been any success in potable / tasty beverages using that. Is a distillery license any harder to get from ATF than an FFL?

There are, unsurprisingly, a metric crap-ton of resources / recipes / still plans on the internet if anybody is REALLY into the idea.

I would advise against this. Soap on it's own does nothing to actually kill. Detergents (be it lab grade ones like Triton-X 100, Tween-20, etc) or the ones used in commercial soaps (sodium laureth sulfate) just allow for the solubilization of compounds which don't normally go into aqueous solutions. High enough concentrations can kill bacteria (we often perform chemical lysis using >5mM detergents when performing protein purifications), but the concentration required to do that are far greater than whats present in soap. Wiping a surface with soap is going to do little to nothing to remove them, and in fact, may only be spreading the virions from contaminant to clean surfaces, doing more harm than good. If you want to wipe, I would suggest doing so with a 10% bleach solution, made fresh daily. Alternatively, short chain alcohol can be used, though given the inability of bleach to be used on tissue, the alcohol may be better served saved for that application.
===> Good to know. So, what constitutes "short chain" alcohol? Isopropyl? Denatured Ethyl/methyl (have a qt. of denatured that I got. Got the "green" version since it's 80% ethyl vs. regular at 30% Ethyl/ 30% methyl.
No Covid so far...
They're holding well to the dryer?
Ewwww! Didn't know that you got some Methyl on the first run. Good to know!

===> Good to know. So, what constitutes "short chain" alcohol? Isopropyl? Denatured Ethyl/methyl (have a qt. of denatured that I got. Got the "green" version since it's 80% ethyl vs. regular at 30% Ethyl/ 30% methyl.
Ethyl, 2-prop, or methyl. When used on tissue, methyl should be absolutely avoided due to toxicity. A concentration at or above 70% are generally considered required to kill within the contact time provided before evaporation occurs.

They're holding well to the dryer?

Ewwww! Didn't know that you got some Methyl on the first run. Good to know!
Yes. very well. The trick I've found, is to dry them by themselves (no other clothing) because the friction of rubbing against dungarees and bath towels beats the snot out of them. Also, my dryer (as most modern ones do) has a 'medium' heat range. I use that and run it longer (60 minutes) and then into clean paper bags labeled 1-4.

There is a link I posted in that post. It goes into the 'cuts' and how they work. Good reading. I'm toying with the idea of a 5-gallon Virginia style copper kit.
Just the right size for a large propane burner I bought for smelting wheel weights...

I guess I could make Hand Sanitizer with it too... [rofl2]

1586881383162.png 1586881551285.png

Academically speaking, I've been interested in the idea of vacuum distillation. I wonder if there's been any success in potable / tasty beverages using that. Is a distillery license any harder to get from ATF than an FFL?

There are, unsurprisingly, a metric crap-ton of resources / recipes / still plans on the internet if anybody is REALLY into the idea.
there actually IS some chemical engineering going on right now on new ways of achieving scotch and bourbon. One technique i have seen is they put the hooch in a giant stainless steel tanks, and toss in wood slats of oak, and other woods, for aging and flavor. So instead of the labor intensive method of coopering up white oak barrels, and aging for years (and losing the "angel's share"), and then maybe moving it into other sherry barrels, etc....is all bypassed. You toss in wood, maybe pressurize the tank, to make the hooch go in and out of the wood, and in maybe 6 months you have the equivalent of 8 years in a wood barrel.

No Covid so far...

View attachment 348073
I've been using plumbers hands. One pair I wash them in very hot soapy water and dry them on rags I sanitize in my washing machine. No Covid so far. Oh and I have been consuming alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom