• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I have a serious dilemma

FrugalFannie

NES Member
I am all for exercising one's rights. Even if I don't agree with your speech/religion/etc - practice it as long as it harms no one. I don't care who you sleep with or how your relationship works so long as no one is coerced or harmed in any matter. I believe in the 2nd Amendment and currently boycott a number of businesses for being "anti FULL on 2nd Amendment." I may not want to open carry an AR but in states where it's legal, like TX, go right ahead. I believe we shouldn't have to ask permission to own or carry a gun or be "cleared" by a background check or restricted as to where we can carry.

I boycott a number of businesses because of their anti-2A stance, just as I would if they were anti-1A or any other form of anti-rights. I boycott actors in that I will NOT pay to watch shows or movies with actors who feel the need to make their anti-2A sentiments known to the world.

And I grew up watching the Patriots every chance I got (1 tv, 8 kids, and I was the only one who liked to watch sports). And I live and die during game time. There are certain moments of Patriots history I refuse to talk about. I'm sure you can guess which ones. I started doing an annual thread on the team the last couple of years that lasts for an entire season through playoffs before I start the next one.

All of my boycotts have been inconvenient for me. Some have outright robbed me of momentary, occasional joy or have caused me a certain level of convenience (like not being able to buy socks and such at Wally world any more).

And as you all know (or should), the Patriots flew a bunch of people to the Anti-gun protests. Because no matter what they call it, that's what it was. And I have discussed with friends whether or not I am going to continue watching and/or rooting for them as a result. I have actually considered burning all my Pats gear, on video, and sending the video to the Patriots to let them know why I want to boycott them. Part of watching them would require I buy the NFL package, although I could probably see about 75% of their games without it. But even not buying the package isn't really enough, is it? Because if I tune in to any of their games that broadcast down here, they make money on advertising and those rates are based on the number of viewers it pulls in. Likewise, if I watch ANY NFL game, all NFL teams make a cut from the profits of the NFL.

So my dilemma is - do I really boycott the Pats and if so, do I also boycott all the NFL games.
I usually watch 3-8 games per week when I have the NFL package and can see all the teams that interest me at the time.

What say y'all?

I am all for exercising one's rights. Even if I don't agree with your speech/religion/etc - practice it as long as it harms no one. I don't care who you sleep with or how your relationship works so long as no one is coerced or harmed in any matter. I believe in the 2nd Amendment and currently boycott a number of businesses for being "anti FULL on 2nd Amendment." I may not want to open carry an AR but in states where it's legal, like TX, go right ahead. I believe we shouldn't have to ask permission to own or carry a gun or be "cleared" by a background check or restricted as to where we can carry.

I boycott a number of businesses because of their anti-2A stance, just as I would if they were anti-1A or any other form of anti-rights. I boycott actors in that I will NOT pay to watch shows or movies with actors who feel the need to make their anti-2A sentiments known to the world.

And I grew up watching the Patriots every chance I got (1 tv, 8 kids, and I was the only one who liked to watch sports). And I live and die during game time. There are certain moments of Patriots history I refuse to talk about. I'm sure you can guess which ones. I started doing an annual thread on the team the last couple of years that lasts for an entire season through playoffs before I start the next one.

All of my boycotts have been inconvenient for me. Some have outright robbed me of momentary, occasional joy or have caused me a certain level of convenience (like not being able to buy socks and such at Wally world any more).

And as you all know (or should), the Patriots flew a bunch of people to the Anti-gun protests. Because no matter what they call it, that's what it was. And I have discussed with friends whether or not I am going to continue watching and/or rooting for them as a result. I have actually considered burning all my Pats gear, on video, and sending the video to the Patriots to let them know why I want to boycott them. Part of watching them would require I buy the NFL package, although I could probably see about 75% of their games without it. But even not buying the package isn't really enough, is it? Because if I tune in to any of their games that broadcast down here, they make money on advertising and those rates are based on the number of viewers it pulls in. Likewise, if I watch ANY NFL game, all NFL teams make a cut from the profits of the NFL.

So my dilemma is - do I really boycott the Pats and if so, do I also boycott all the NFL games.
I usually watch 3-8 games per week when I have the NFL package and can see all the teams that interest me at the time.

What say y'all?
I stopped watching pro sports 2 years ago. Too much politics. Men used to like to watch pro sports to get away from all the bullshit politics and opinions of "celebrities" and watch a damn game. Can't do that anymore so I'm done. I actually go to he gun club more now......f*** football on Sundays.

I say that it's not going to affect them either way if you watch/don't watch. So why take away entertainment pleasure from yourself when they will have no idea you are boycotting anyway. If it makes you feel better to boycott, then do it. But no sense in punishing yourself, if you want to watch, then watch.

Never did I think I'd agree fully with a guy named "Whacko", but I do. The NFL lost me during the kneeling BS. I disagreed with them, and viewed the players as disrespectful.

So I'm done too. And I agree on more trigger time too!

I stopped watching pro sports 2 years ago. Too much politics. Men used to like to watch pro sports to get away from all the bullshit politics and opinions of "celebrities" and watch a damn game. Can't do that anymore so I'm done. I actually go to he gun club more now......f*** football on Sundays.

I watched maybe 4 or 5 Pats games last season including the superbowl. I don't think I will watch any more than that this coming Season. Maybe not at all. It's the politics that bugs me as well...

With the feud going on between Belichick, Brady, and Kraft, and the fact that the Pat's let a lot of offensive talent go this off season because they don't want to pay, I think that I am done with them, too.

Burning merch doesn't do anything but destroy your own property, lol.

That said I won't be seeing a live game, scratched that off the list. Unsure if I will bother watching next season.

None of this of course will stop kraft from making shitloads of money.

I stopped paying attention to the NFL after the Kaepernick hoopla. I occasionally watched the Pats. That's about it. I didn't like what Kraft did either and I'll probably just stop watching altogether. I watch sports to get away from politics, not to be immersed in it.

this too, everything is doused in political bs, all the time. that gets old, fast....

Kraft did two things simultaneously when he flew those idiots in for that march: he expressed his dislike for guns, and he supported 1A by giving these people the ability to protest.

I disagree with Kraft and the marchers, but I’ve got the right to that opinion just like they do.

Act according to your conscience, but don’t fool yourself: if you boycott, it won’t make Kraft pause and reflect. And he’ll still get his TV revenue whether you watch it or not.

I say that it's not going to affect them either way if you watch/don't watch. So why take away entertainment pleasure from yourself when they will have no idea you are boycotting anyway. If it makes you feel better to boycott, then do it. But no sense in punishing yourself, if you want to watch, then watch.

That is true. It only hurts them if they can feel it. If you're paying for the NFL package then dump it. Don't buy any NFL gear etc. But watching a game at home doesn't send any message unless it just makes you feel better.

I was a diehard Pats fan, season ticket holder since 1999. I gave up my season tix last year when the whole take a knee thing started. I was ready to give em up anyways but that was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. Haven’t watched an NFL game since super bowl 2016. I don’t miss it. I started watching college ball. Less primadonnas, more heart and better football.

Giving it up is not that hard...

I gave up all interest in all professional sports some time ago. What you're going through now with the PAts I did with the Sox about half decade ago. I hate the new owners. I still watched the PAts but I'm done with them now too. They won't be on my TV. I'm not going to burn gear - but I don't wear it in public. I wear it to work in the yard, work on the car, etc... You know - the junk clothes you keep for the times you know whatever you're wearing will get ruined... Like when painting, etc..
You'll be surprised how much time you get back once you peal away form the TV.

No one will know or care if you watch NFL games or not. Assuming you're not a Nielsen household.

It was Bob Krap who flew the d'nozzles to their rally, not the team. It's not easy for me, but I can separate the two. At least until the players start acting like shitbirds too.

Kraft did two things simultaneously when he flew those idiots in for that march: he expressed his dislike for guns, and he supported 1A by giving these people the ability to protest.

I disagree with Kraft and the marchers, but I’ve got the right to that opinion just like they do.

Act according to your conscience, but don’t fool yourself: if you boycott, it won’t make Kraft pause and reflect. And he’ll still get his TV revenue whether you watch it or not.
I have boycotted businesses and it’s not because I want or expect them to fail. I boycott them because I won’t support someone who would use what was previously my hard earned money against me.

f*** them, watch them when your home sick....go shooting instead. Whish I had the time to waste following sports and making time for hours of BS between 16 second plays. I waste enough time here on NES only because I don’t watch TV

So, I stopped watching NFL because of the kneeling thing. I tuned away from the Pats when they took a knee and was happy, and returned, when they did not.

Figured they learned to keep politics off the field through some loss of revenue.

The plane thing bring into focus for me that not just Kraft but the patriots organization supports anti2A through the use of the Patriots plane being used. If you say what the difference as Kraft is the Patriots, I feel the use of the plane and its logo now endorses this behavior and because of that fine distinction, means I can no longer support the team, as minuscule as my support may be. On some level, I am supporting anti2A and supporting these tools by watching and buying/wearing their gear. No more.

Additionally, the use of muskets by the Patriots is the epitome of hypocrisy. I will not watch.

Just my 2 cents.

started watching the nfl in '66 ish. 10 yrs old. back then you could only see the patriots on t.v. when they played away games.(nfl black-out policy).

my dad loved football, played on an amateur team growing up in roxbury. when he had a sunday off, (BFD) he liked to watch a game. so naturally that became the thing for a kid to do with his old man. i was too small to play anything but touch, but all us kids played a game every weekend, all year round for years. i've loved watching the nfl all my life since then.

since the recent controversies, my interest has waned a lot. but i still watch the pats, and will also tune into other promising games. if the game turns out to be dud, i'm more likely to shut it off a lot faster than i would have in past years. i also used to reserve sunday for sports watching, mostly football. i had a 3 tv set-up in the shed. if not in golf season, it was 1 tv for each of the games, and third for nfl red zone.

i'm long over that now, and do chores around the house and yard instead. but i still tune in for the patriots games. honestly this is the greatest QB the game has ever seen, and i will probably never see better in my lifetime

so----penny pincher---i understand your dilemma

A "dilemma" ??? .

There's 2 billion people in the world who wish that they had time to think about such a "dilemma". Most of them are too busy staying alive and finding a drink of potable water.

Kraft is a hypocrite, just like Gabby Giffords and her astroNUT husband Mark Kelly! He has his own armed bodyguard(s), including, if still the same guy, a retired MSP trooper.

Back
Top Bottom