MA State Police visit after online ammo purchase

So what is the smart response to police showing up at your door?

Be polite, ask if they have a warrant to enter, ask if you are being detained, and if the answer is no to both questions, politely wish them a good day, and close the door?
Yes. And politely tell them they can speak to your attorney if the conversation needs to go any further. If you are on your own property in Mass, they cannot demand to see an LTC (it's the only place you are safe from that). Have a good day fellas.... (close the door).

Yep. How has nobody noticed how hard it is to find a list of sellers who will ship to MA?
I found plenty of retailers that would ship ammo to me when I was in MA. If it were illegal, Midway USA wouldn’t ship there, period. Anyone can sue anyone. Doesn’t mean they’ll win.

Last edited:
I'm highly suspect that this happened.

Even if the ups driver called the po po.......I can't see staties knocking on a door for this at all. They can check the address and know the guy has an ltc.....so what crime are they investigating.

I'm calling total bullshit.

I believe you're incorrect. Maura can sue them (and has threatened such when she was AG), that's why 90% of on-line ammo sellers won't ship to Mass. Heck it's even hard to find a supplier of pepper spray on-line that will ship.

Yep. How has nobody noticed how hard it is to find a list of sellers who will ship to MA?

Then why hasn't she? She is well aware who is shipping to MA. It's all a load of horsesh*t just like her AW "interpretation".

I believe you're incorrect. Maura can sue them (and has threatened such when she was AG), that's why 90% of on-line ammo sellers won't ship to Mass. Heck it's even hard to find a supplier of pepper spray on-line that will ship.
90% wont sell to mass?!?!?!? Bullshit.

I have no problem finding online vendors that will ship ammo and reloading components to my home in mass. No problem at all.

Nope, they cant, because they dont know what your odering. Only the co. that youre buying from knows that. The driver on the other hand can read the hazmat label that states what is in the box.
Stay in your lane line haul driver. :) There hasnt been a label like that in a while, they standardized hazmat labels years ago which included getting rid of consumer commodity orm-d labels.

Last edited:
I hate to post vague, 4th-hand sounding info, but a close friend of mine (valid LTC holder) was just visited by 2 MA state police officers at his house after he had a few thousand rounds delivered from a common online retailer. He didn't let them in nor did they have a warrant, but apparently they are getting tipped off by UPS as to these deliveries and "following up".

Use caution when having stuff delivered to a MA address!

View: https://youtu.be/2SmoBvg-etU

Yes. And politely tell them they can speak to your attorney if the conversation needs to go any further. If you are on your own property in Mass, they cannot demand to see an LTC (it's the only place you are safe from that). Have a good day fellas.... (close the door).
Speaking from experience, I have had the police demand to see my LTC while they were on my property. They gave me the option of a free ride in a police car if I didn't.

Dicks.

I don't buy it. Everybody knows the MA state police don't do anything but highway details and speed traps on the pike.

Don't forget writing fake tickets and scamming OT!

What did they say? Why were they there? I can't imagine the SP having the time to show up at every person's house that orders a couple of thousand rounds of ammo.

Obviously they aren't showing up to everyone's house that orders ammo. Doesn't mean they haven't showed up to some.

My cops joke with my UPS guy and ask him if I have more ammo than they do. He laughs and says “Who? Never heard of him!” It’s a running gag.

You own cops and a UPS guy? That's badass.

Tipped off About what? Nothing illegal.

Police investigate things that are completely legal all the time. They'll do anything their told by the politicians they answer to.

That site is a joke even among cops in MA. The 3 cops that actually post there are the department shit bags that nobody likes.

What's your username there? [laugh]

The carriers know what they're transporting.

At a workplace, someone other than me ordered ammo. It came in "discreet" packaging. Driver said to me, "Is this ammo?"

"Why do you think it's ammo?"

"It's small, it's heavy, it has a HazMat sticker, and it's from CT."

They know.
Years back I ordered a 1000.00 set of ScanPans as our daily cookware was getting old.
Plain brown box. No mention of what was inside. When my regular driver delivered them he knew what was inside.
That was kinda freaky but who knows.

I have zero doubt that my mailman and UPS guy know that I shoot - they've delivered all sorts of shooting accessories (mags, holsters, ammo cans, sights and optics, etc) and dozens of ammo shipments, some not very discreetly packaged at all. I really don't think they GAF. If MSP somehow got involved, I'm guessing this dude is on a watchlist of some sort and they were letting him know it.

I would prefer that my UPS driver just deliver the package without dropping it first. It seems that most every case I order now arrives with one or two corners of the box crushed from being dropped. The most recent was a case of .22's. I opened the box to find a few crushed rounds. As I was getting my panties in a bunch, I realized that it was three rounds out of five thousand and I'd most likely live.

I have zero doubt that my mailman and UPS guy know that I shoot - they've delivered all sorts of shooting accessories (mags, holsters, ammo cans, sights and optics, etc) and dozens of ammo shipments, some not very discreetly packaged at all. I really don't think they GAF. If MSP somehow got involved, I'm guessing this dude is on a watchlist of some sort and they were letting him know it.
Mine knows. I can’t get the NRA to stop sending me things in the mail although I have asked them many times to stop.

Stay in your lane line haul driver. :) There hasnt been a label like that in a while, they standardized hazmat labels years ago which included getting rid of consumer commodity orm-d labels.
Yeah, ive been retired for 5, and out of the delivery driver days for 23 yrs. I guess things have changed a bit, but i still say the driver would be the one to rat out a delivery to a persons house.....

This.

This info needs to travel up all levels of UPS, to all [firearms] vendors that are shipping with them, and to the usual friendly media outlets (TFB, Jared, et al.).

But first, it needs to be substantiated. No "uncle's cousin's best friend's hair dressers," but "Jim, from Dingleberry, MA." This isn't a dig on the OP, but these kinds of rumors wreak havoc if they can't be supported.
Probably monitoring the seller, then tracking it. Probably federal, then passed on to MA.

This guy I know, his friends brother is a driver for UPS. Apparently once a week they are given a briefing on how to recognize packages that may contain items that are illegal in MA.

The weekly briefing mostly covers how to recognize high risk firearms and accessory shippers, certain shapes of boxes(rifles) and extreme weight(ammo) Drivers are also told to ask seemingly naïve questions in an effort to get the recipient to actual tell them what is in the package, even go so far as to pretend they are a gun owner to gain trust.

They then flag the delivery for review by a supervisor, the supervisor then follows up with the terminal manager who then contacts a special rep from the State Police.

It's pretty messed up.
I've had a UPS driver comment about the weight and small size of an ammo package about a year or two ago. I saw her pull up so I went outside to grab the package from her and she started asking questions, she eventually asked if it was ammo. I just politely said no, said thanks and brought it inside. I never thought much of it until I just read your post.

My UPS driver once delivered two very heavy packages that required a signature. As I was signing, he asked, "So. What do you shoot?" I told him that those boxes were 5.56. He said, "Like an AR?" I responded, "Yep. Exactly like that." He said, "Cool" and simply left. Your friend's UPS driver sounds like an @sshole.
Good move :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom