Marlboro Gun Show, Jan 30 & 31

I got 2 of those cans - NIB and 556 marked - good enough for me.

S&W M&Ps were all marked $100 higher than the shops. The "cash only" guy was there and makes a good margin on his stuff. I'm sure there were some finds there but not what I was looking for.

I went to Manch and found more in the way of small parts better - mag followers for AR, etc. I may skip it next year and just hit Manch & Wilmington.

Crowds dropped off about 2pm and the walking was easy - got in about noon with minimal line.

I went Sunday - my first show.

So would I go to a gun show again - YES
Would I go to this show again - NO, Probably will go to Manchester, NH next year.

Go to the Wilmington show at the Shriner's Auditorium on 3/6 and 3/7. Its usually a show with more NH vendors and some better ammo options. This is always one of the best shows in Mass.

I got there around 10:00 and got in around 10:30 Sat. Was going to introduce myself to C-Pher but he was very busy at the time. I bought a barrel, carrier group and a few other parts from Rem Sport. I don't know who helped me but he was very helpful even though they seemed somewhat harrried. I didn't print out the coupon but I did bring up the link and picture on my palm. The guy at the ticket booth wasn't buying any of it. Oh well, I tried.

Go to the Wilmington show at the Shriner's Auditorium on 3/6 and 3/7. Its usually a show with more NH vendors and some better ammo options. This is always one of the best shows in Mass.

I agree about the Wilmington show. IME it's easier to move around and you're right about the ammo. When you go to that show, look around before buying from the NY guys. The other vendors typically have better deals.

I agree about the Wilmington show. IME it's easier to move around and you're right about the ammo. When you go to that show, look around before buying from the NY guys. The other vendors typically have better deals.

There is another vendor that sells at Wlimington that has a banner that reads 308ammo.com. He usually has some great deals if you know what you're looking for.

Tell me if I'm off on this, but when I was walking around at the show Saturday, I ran into a small table of mostly misc junk. But on the table was a spam can with 800rnds of 30 cal for an M1 Carbine. I asked the guy how much and he told me $950. I must of looked shocked or something, because he got real defensive and said that was the going rate. Maybe it's because I haven't bought 30 cal in a while, but that would make it $1.20 a rnd. That can't be, can it?

Tell me if I'm off on this, but when I was walking around at the show Saturday, I ran into a small table of mostly misc junk. But on the table was a spam can with 800rnds of 30 cal for an M1 Carbine. I asked the guy how much and he told me $950. I must of looked shocked or something, because he got real defensive and said that was the going rate. Maybe it's because I haven't bought 30 cal in a while, but that would make it $1.20 a rnd. That can't be, can it?

He is full of crap. Either the stuff he had was collectible (eg, period correct USGI type issued ammo) or he was just trying to blow smoke up someone's ass. Last I remember it cost about the same as .45 ACP, but that was years ago... so the numbers might be different now... nowhere near a $1 a round, though!

-Mike

Went Saturday with the popdukes, glad we got there at 830 because the line was rediculous, got some custom molded ear plugs i'm looking forward to trying.... knives seemed decent priced, handguns seemed overpriced... was kinda unimpressed with the ammo selection.... met the hankster and a few other NESers...

not a bad outing, but no screaming deals i saw

I think I saw the same table, and when I asked the fellow there he said it was either 1943 or 1944 manufacture and still sealed, so I guess that's the collectors price, not the shooter's price.

I think I saw the same table, and when I asked the fellow there he said it was either 1943 or 1944 manufacture and still sealed, so I guess that's the collectors price, not the shooter's price.

Yowsa! $950 for a collectable can of ammo you can't shoot. Maybe it's just me, but what a waste of money.......

I went to Marlboro this weekend, and it was my first gun show. I had read the comments that not to expect too much in the way of deals, and I, like everyone else who went thought that most of the guns were overpriced (I understand that there were some deals out there) although I didn't see any. But my question is, with so many dealers all under one roof, I would expect it too be more price competitive. What is the point of having all these customers come in to purchase and walk away saying everything is over priced? I know the dealer have to pay for the tables but wouldn't you stand a better chance of recouping that cost quicker by being aggressive in your pricing? I have read here about dealers get some deals from their distributor if they buy 5 (buy 4 and get the 5th for free, etc) Why not take advantage of those deals right before the show and then unload it that weekend? What am I missing here?

The dealers are there to make money, just like they have stores to make money.

If you go to 5 different stores, you'll [likely] get a range of prices on item "x"...the show is no different.

Greed? Perhaps, but if you can buy an item for $500 at Joe's Guns, and it's $600 at the show, just go to Joe's!

(By the way, I'm not a dealer, but I did have a table to dispose of some random stuff....if it were my real business, some of the buyers would have royally p!ssed me off. I had "make it go away" prices on most stuff, and some people still complained. They didn't make an offer, they just complained!)

IMO, if you're looking for a non-unique item (read new) this is NOT the best venue - a quiet Tuesday morning at a shop, where nothing else is happening, would seem like a better place to work a deal. From behind the table, with a crowd in front, there's no incentive to lower your price, as the guy behind the person asking for a discount may be ready to pay retail. It's a seller's market as it were. I've seen stuff be "dissed" by six people in sucession, for condition, price, whatever, and number 7 say, "Cool!" and consider it a deal. Who is right? Everyone![grin]

Whenever I go to a Show, that's what I consider it.....entertainment!

Yes but when you come across a brick of aguilla .22 ammo on the table for $50 something is very wrong. Too many instances like that and gun prices were pretty high as well. There is a difference between making money and shafting folks because it is a gun show.

Yes but when you come across a brick of aguilla .22 ammo on the table for $50 something is very wrong. Too many instances like that and gun prices were pretty high as well. There is a difference between making money and shafting folks because it is a gun show.

Agreed. But I'm guessing that stuff like that was packed up and taken home. The Carbine ammo mentioned above is one thing, the modern stuff with crazy pricing is another....

Caveat emptor, as always!

does anyone remember the maker of the lights that were on the back wall all the way to the left if you were walking in the door?

It's a power of numbers game. Look at how crowded the hall was on Saturday. Sunday was better but not by much. Tons of buyers....a seller's dream.
I got some ammo and some bullets for the .303's. Nothing much other than that worth looking at except a few 1902 mfg. BSA #1 LE's. Did not get to do a thorough exam of them though.

Back
Top Bottom