• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

N/D Of The Week

Police learned the man, a licensed gun owner, was legally carrying a concealed firearm when he got some corn in his boot while in the corn pit. Investigators say the man bent over to get the corn out and the gun discharged, hitting him in the leg.
Police say the gun didn't have a safety or hammer and police are still investigating whether the man mishandled the weapon. He is currently not facing charges.

Kind of an academic discussion since making an unholstered 442 go off in your pocket merely by bending over would take some engineering. OTOH, I’d absolutely expect the cops to say a 442 didn’t have a hammer.

Surely they’re describing a striker fired semiauto.

Kind of an academic discussion since making an unholstered 442 go off in your pocket merely by bending over would take some engineering. OTOH, I’d absolutely expect the cops to say a 442 didn’t have a hammer.

Surely they’re describing a striker fired semiauto.
S&W even calls them "hammerless".

S&W even calls them "hammerless".
I don’t think that’s exclusively a S&W thing. The marketing term originates far enough back that the point of it was to indicate that there was no visible hammer. It’s not safe to translate “hammerless” (marketing) to “has no hammer” (literal).

seems a little far fetched to me
I believe S&W 442/642 are double action only
and have a pretty heavy trigger pull, something like 14 lbs
prob not going to go off very easy, IMO

I don’t think that’s exclusively a S&W thing. The marketing term originates far enough back that the point of it was to indicate that there was no visible hammer. It’s not safe to translate “hammerless” (marketing) to “has no hammer” (literal).
It is funny that the makers of the guns that are truly hammerless do not use that term.

Cleaning his gun. Lol. Yeah right.

Even if this was a retard with a gun, give him manslaughter and lifetime ban from public paid work.
Moronic media. The linked article to the local report says "preparing to clean", so the cops are saying it happened during takedown. Not that it matters. Putting one through a "bystander" during takedown is still some kind of negligent homicide.

Moronic media. The linked article to the local report says "preparing to clean", so the cops are saying it happened during takedown. Not that it matters. Putting one through a "bystander" during takedown is still some kind of negligent homicide.
Probably a Glock or similar that requires the trigger be pulled prior to field stripping. Pushed the slide back for disassembly, realized he did not pull the trigger to disengage the sear plate from the firing pin protuberance, and pulled the trigger. "Preparing to clean" may be 100% accurate, or at least as Adam and Jamie would say "Plausible". Now he's really F'ed because the gun is in evidence and he can't clean it.

Besides the 5th safety rule of "know the F what you are doing when you handle a gun", this highly trained officer obviously forgot the "always point the gun in a safe direction" or "never point the gun at something you are not willing to destroy".

As to "negligent homicide" - depends on the jurisdiction. In Framingham an AD that kills someone is (according to the ADA and the prosecutor's office) "An accident for which criminal charges are not appropriate" as long as the shooter is a police officer, and does not even rate departmental decruitment.

It's even worse if that's the case right? Because if that was true, the people who trained him and approved him having possession of his issued firearm should also be charged with manslaughter. WHO THE f*** LET THIS GUY TAKE A GOVERNMENT OWNED GUN HOME..

Probably a Glock or similar that requires the trigger be pulled prior to field stripping. Pushed the slide back for disassembly, realized he did not pull the trigger to disengage the sear plate from the firing pin protuberance, and pulled the trigger. "Preparing to clean" may be 100% accurate, or at least as Adam and Jamie would say "Plausible". Now he's really F'ed because the gun is in evidence and he can't clean it.

Besides the 5th safety rule of "know the F what you are doing when you handle a gun", this highly trained officer obviously forgot the "always point the gun in a safe direction" or "never point the gun at something you are not willing to destroy".

As to "negligent homicide" - depends on the jurisdiction. In Framingham an AD that kills someone is (according to the ADA and the prosecutor's office) "An accident for which criminal charges are not appropriate" as long as the shooter is a police officer, and does not even rate departmental decruitment.
didn't he become some kind of union official too?

As to "negligent homicide" - depends on the jurisdiction.
Yeah, poor choice of words on my part, since I meant it as a literal construction without realizing that some jurisdictions use the term "negligent homicide" to mean, more accurately, criminally negligent homicide.

Lol @ "cleaning his gun".... probably f***ing around with it...possibly while shitfaced.

That’s what 99.9% of “gun cleaning accidents” are. It’s like “died of a sudden illness” in an obit.

Yeah, poor choice of words on my part, since I meant it as a literal construction without realizing that some jurisdictions use the term "negligent homicide" to mean, more accurately, criminally negligent homicide.
And in some the definition moves around depending on who the negligent is.

Lol @ "cleaning his gun".... probably f***ing around with it...possibly while shitfaced.

That’s what 99.9% of “gun cleaning accidents” are. It’s like “died of a sudden illness” in an obit.
My bet is still on "trigger pull required before removing slide" (Glock). A big clue is "Preparing to clean" rather than "Cleaning".

My bet is still on "trigger pull required before removing slide" (Glock). A big clue is "Preparing to clean" rather than "Cleaning".
Or maybe shitfaced and playing with it. Can't cover it up as "while cleaning" if there are no cleaning supplies out. But "preparing" comes before taking out the supplies. Got to make sure the story matches the evidence.

Back
Top Bottom