Nighthawks coming to Mass

There were 4 guns approved on the Target Roster. They are listed below along with links to the guns. At the next meeting in April they will reapply for the Agent 2 plus 5 other guns. Their plan is to have 10 guns approved. Once the AG publishes the roster then they can be sold here officially.

Shadowhawk Government RMR 9mm Shadow Hawk Government 1911 Pistol with Trijicon RMR
Chairman 9mm NHC Chairman 6"
Heine Signature Competition 9mm Richard Heinie Signature Series Competition Model 5"
Warhawk Government in .45 War Hawk Government - Government / 5" Barrel / Government Frame - Pistols

Coming in April
Agent 2 (this one is sweet!) AGENT2 - New Models

They make decent stuff... and anytime we get more options I'm down. Nighthawk spends WAY too much on marketing for their guns to be worth it. $4500 for an Agent 2 lmao.

I had a single stack made right here in Ludlow by a local shop that Id put up against any of their stuff. All parts made from forged bar stock in house, hand fitted, then Teflon Nitrided.

19k rounds of cheap 230gr hardball through it this year, and it still looks great and runs like a glock wishes it could. All for about 1/3 of what a nighthawk cost.

Nighthawk is charging $4,500 to fit some parts together and then cerakote it? Ridiculous..

Last edited:
Nighthawk knows how to play the game ... buy ads in major gun rags, and you will get feature articles. The articles feed the image of "Big brand name" more than any ads do.

Places that do top notch work but do not play the ad game never get covered.

All parts made from forged bar stock in house, hand fitted, then Teflon Nitrided.
Very cool. Are you sure it was teflon nitride and not titanium nitride? Vapor deposition TiN is one of the cool "in" finished now days. I have it on the barrels of my fotays. Think of getting a single stack in TiN with a bright polish (Scaramunga gun).

Stopped into Guns Inc. in West Springfield tnite, they had the ads on the counter for being a stocking dealer ..... Kendal said she signed up to carry them ... I'll take a feel when they show up, but that's probably about it ..

Nighthawk knows how to play the game ... buy ads in major gun rags, and you will get feature articles. The articles feed the image of "Big brand name" more than any ads do.

Places that do top notch work but do not play the ad game never get covered.

Very cool. Are you sure it was teflon nitride and not titanium nitride? Vapor deposition TiN is one of the cool "in" finished now days. I have it on the barrels of my fotays. Think of getting a single stack in TiN with a bright polish (Scaramunga gun).

Yeah.. Im sure. If you wanna get specific its nitride case hardening on the frame and the small parts that show. Then nickel teflon coated ignition set. Its a proprietary coating they call Obsidian. Very slick, very hard.

TIN would not be good to coat a whole gun that you intend on actually using. Its too thin and it flakes with extensive use. Plus Tin is for douchebags and drug kingpins from Juarez.

Last edited:
Yeah.. Im sure. If you wanna get specific its nitride case hardening on the frame and the small parts that show. Then nickel teflon coated ignition set. Its a proprietary coating they call Obsidian. Very slick, very hard.

TIN would not be good to coat a whole gun that you intend on actually using. Its too thin and it flakes with extensive use. Plus Tin is for douchebags and drug kingpins from Juarez.
Funny - I have TiN on the barrels in a brace of fotays with tens of thousands of rounds, no flaking. It was done via PVD (physical vapor deposition) in a vacuum chamber. No trace of flaking.

TiN is a common coating on machine tools (milling cutters, etc.). I wonder if it flakes off those with extensive use.

- A barrel isn't a whole gun. PVD generally isn't gonna put it on thick enough for a frame or slide. If someone does want a TIN gun they generally want more thickness than you can get with PVD.

- Obviously it has advantages over non coated or they wouldn't use it. But it does wear off and flake. Then you have to get the tool resharpened and re coated. Titan USA right in West Springfield is one of the only shops in the country that does custom coated tooling to order for same day pickup.

I don't know how far in the weeds you wanna get with coatings here. I will concede Tin is effective.. but generally a marketing fad for douchebags. I would not rock tin at all on a gun. Ill use a good oil and save the money for ammo..

We were talking about Nighthawks.. which buy prefitted parts from a machinist, do some light hand fitting, spray a DIY paint on your gun and charge you 4k. :rolleyes:

We were talking about Nighthawks.. which buy prefitted parts from a machinist, do some light hand fitting, spray a DIY paint on your gun and charge you 4k. :rolleyes:
Compare this to SVI/Infinity (www.sviguns.com) which does everything in house except for anodizing and PVD coatings. Even the grip screws are machined in house. I've spent considerable time at the factory, and can verify that they do all their parts, including the screws, in-house. Their obsession with quality is as high as their prices (comparable to Nighthawk). Basically, a "if you have to ask you can't afford it" sort of place.

An yes, I am biased since I am very good friend with the owner and also do work for them.

If I was buying a custom 1911 other than what I have. I would go Pistol Dynamics...

2011s I haven't handled enough of them to make an educated statement. I just know STIs are horrible from the factory. Everyone I know that runs them had to get them sorted out before they were serviceable. Again TONs of marketing.

I just know STIs are horrible from the factory.
STI and SVI are separate companies. STI is bigger, and tries to be a mainstream company. SVI is a niche company which only makes 1911oids (STI also has a revolver, the Czech made polymer 9mm, Phillippine made cast 1911s (some guns, not sure if they still do it)). SVIs tend to be somewhat more expen$ive.

My SVI wide bodies have run without problem since getting them from the factory, though I have been shooting Limited and my Super is mostly a safe queen.

If I was buying a custom 1911 other than what I have. I would go Pistol Dynamics...

2011s I haven't handled enough of them to make an educated statement. I just know STIs are horrible from the factory. Everyone I know that runs them had to get them sorted out before they were serviceable. Again TONs of marketing.

I have handled a few 2011s and they are fine. I have a Costa Carry in 9 mm and it is an amazing firearm. Easy to point and shoot with little recoil. BeR in mind, I am partial to 1911s.

Older generations apparently had some issues with mags where they needed to be tuned for adding more rounds that the stated magazine capacity for competition but I know nothing about that.

Back
Top Bottom