• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P3AT. What is close in weight and size?

I shot a 365, and loved it. It would be great for a typical carry gun in a regular belt holster with regular clothes. The thing I was seeking here was minimal weight and size for carry in summer shorts.
I pocket carried my P365 in shorts all summer long. In fact I'm not sure I've ever carried it on my belt...

Ha ha. Yeah, but add that 42 to a phone, flashlight, and keys. Those shorts don't come with a belt, just elastic band.
iPhone 14 Pro Max and keys were in the opposite pocket, but this is a pointless argument at this point as you aren’t buying anything and the gun you want doesn’t exist

My EDC is a P3AT.... never misfired or FTF. It goes "bang" when I pull the trigger. Its small as f*** and why I use it. If I could carry my 92FS I would but that thing is as big as my dong. Can't fit both in my pants.

@Coyote33, the nice thing about the LCP II .22LR is that is available and In Stock in this area and is not an expensive gun. (Under $340)
10+1 of Velocitors or Stingers is an excellent choice for what you want...
Own and carry the .22LR now... Trade up when they make a LCP II in .22wmr...
Good advice, I think.

What about the LCP II .380?

How does the LCP II .380 differ from the LCP Max .380?

Too many choices.

My EDC is a P3AT.... never misfired or FTF. It goes "bang" when I pull the trigger. Its small as f*** and why I use it. If I could carry my 92FS I would but that thing is as big as my dong. Can't fit both in my pants.
Thanks. Great to know.

Good advice, I think.

What about the LCP II .380?

How does the LCP II .380 differ from the LCP Max .380?

Too many choices.
Max .380 would trump LCP II .380 and .22lr in my opinion.

I own the LCP II .22lr, but have no experience with the .380 in II or MAX configuration.

That said; .380 would be my choice over .22lr for micro-compact personal defense against 2 or 4 legged aggressors.

A 10 round LCP MAX would be my choice over the P3AT...

Last edited:
Max .380 would trump LCP II .380 and .22lr in my opinion.

I own the LCP II .22lr, but have no experience with the .380 in II or MAX configuration.

That said; .380 would be my choice over .22lr for micro-compact personal defense against 2 or 4 legged aggressors.

A 10 round LCP MAX would be my choice over the P3AT...

Totally agree, LCP in .380 over 22lr all day any day is an easy call. Still not a huge LCP fan, but I have already stated my issues with Kel-Tex

.22 magnum in a NAA revolver if you need really small.

P3at is just a shitty Ruger LCP. Get an LCPII and be done with it
I found out over time, you were right. The LCP improved on the P3AT, and the LCP II improved on that. Now, the LCP Max adds more capacity in the same size. Only thing missing is two more millimeters in cartridge length to make it 9x19. Thanks for your help in here.

In conclusion, the LCP II and LCP Max are the new and improved P3AT, and have taken it about as far as it can get in this round.

Last edited:
Was just reading:

...Some ammunition makers (Buffalo Bore, Grizzly Cartridge, NovX and Underwood) load a higher pressure .380 Auto to improve its performance. For example, a typical 95-grain bullet in standard .380 Auto runs around 950 f.p.s. from a 3.75-inch barrel. Buffalo Bore loads that same bullet weight to 1,150 f.p.s. in the +P version. That increases muzzle energy from 190 foot-pounds for 950 f.p.s. to 279 foot-pounds for 1,150 f.p.s. That’s a 47-percent increase in power.
I need to point out that .380 Auto +P ammo is significantly more powerful than standard .380 ammo. For example, standard pressure Browning 95-grain FMJ clocked at 913 f.p.s. for 176 foot-pounds of energy from my Smith & Wesson EZ. The Buffalo Bore 95-grain FMJ ammo registered 1,122 f.p.s. and 266 foot-pounds of energy, a difference of 209 f.p.s. and 90 foot-pounds of muzzle energy. That’s around three times the difference than what we see here between the .380 Auto +P and .30 Super Carry.

At present, the .30 Super Carry has an advantage with bullets developed specifically for the new cartridge. In doing so, they can design what works best for attaining the penetration and expansion desired to optimize terminal ballistics.

The .380 Auto +P, however, depends on standard .380 bullets, which might or might not work as well when driven at much higher-than-normal speeds. A video posted to YouTube by the Shop Time channel found that the .380 Auto +P version of Underwood’s 90-grain XTP JHP penetrated about two inches farther in gel than the standard pressure version. But this is just one bullet of several designs offered, and they might respond differently to the increased speed.

That may be well and good. Now, I am wondering if the LCP II/Max will take the +P, and if so, how it feels/shoots. This would pretty much stretch it out to the max, if possible.

If not, what is the next closest ammo choice, that is not a +P?

A big advantage goes to the .30 Super Carry because it allows more rounds in a magazine of the same length as a .380 Auto. The Smith & Wesson EZ .30 Super Carry holds 10+1 rounds, while the Smith & Wesson EZ .380 holds 8+1 rounds. More ammo is always better. But if you want to stick with .380 Auto, the +P ammo will get you close to the ballistics of .30 Super Carry.

Finally, I wonder if Ruger will come out with an LCP III, in .30 Super Carry. Better ballistics than .380 (closer to 9mm), and 12 instead of 10 rounds.

Last edited:
Finally, I wonder if Ruger will come out with an LCP III, in .30 Super Carry. Better ballistics than .380 (closer to 9mm), and 12 instead of 10 rounds.

Ask yourself just one question... "When was the last time I saw .30sc on the store shelf and how much was it...?" thinking.png

"A gun without ammo is a rock..." ~Enbloc
grungy-rock-14495322.jpg

My P3AT is one of my least favorite guns to shoot, lol. A two finger grip, and that light weight ensures that you feel every bit of the recoil. It has no sights to speak of, and the DA trigger pull is loooonnnngggg. Having said that, it is just so dang easy to carry, and at 7 yard self defense distances, I can put all 7 rounds in a 6” paper plate. That’s two more rounds than the j frame mentioned in a far more portable package.

I also carry a Ruger LC9s. Better sights, MUCH better trigger. Not as compact as the P3AT, but easy enough to clip into a waistband, and I can ping the flapper all day at 25 yards with it.

Having said all of that, I’m not sure I’d want to take on a pack of coyotes with either of those. Especially at dusk. I’d go with a compact semi auto (glock 19 size) with a light in a fanny pack. My current favorite carry in that size is a M&P Compact 2.0 with an Apex flat face trigger and a Streamlight TLR7. On human size targets, with time to aim, that one is good out to 50 yards. I prolly wouldn’t try to take out a yote at that range while walking my dog, but I would feel far more confident relying on that pistol than either of the other two.

Last edited:
That may be well and good. Now, I am wondering if the LCP II/Max will take the +P, and if so, how it feels/shoots. This would pretty much stretch it out to the max, if possible.

If not, what is the next closest ammo choice, that is not a +P?

I have a box of the Buffalo Bore .380 with hard cast bullets specifically designed for .380 mouse guns. I’ve fired a few rounds through the P3AT just to test function. They go bang, just like every other round I’ve put through that gun, but they make an unpleasant shooting experience downright painful. I carry with one of them in the pipe followed by gold dots in the mag.

Back
Top Bottom