Panic Buying

Well, Pelosi shot down any Assault weapons ban talk today.
Just remember who went full retard on their prices at the drop of a hat and shop elsewhere from now on.
Nothing significant is going to happen in an election year so we can wring out our panties and carry on.
After November we might want to worry , but that's to be seen.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it's relative so I figured I would ask. What is a decent price per round for 5.56 before any "panic" that may have started?

I have no trouble believing it because the House and Senate are recalcitrant to pass any kind of a ban; that doesn't preclude them from doing other stupid shit though.... EG shit that the feds will suck for and that average random Joe gun owner types will suck for because it sounds reasonable but really doesn't withstand a lot of hard scrutiny.....

I have no trouble believing it because the House and Senate are recalcitrant to pass any kind of a ban; that doesn't preclude them from doing other stupid shit though.... EG shit that the feds will suck for and that average random Joe gun owner types will suck for because it sounds reasonable but really doesn't withstand a lot of hard scrutiny.....
Like UBC's and the terrorist watch list? I can see that.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it's relative so I figured I would ask. What is a decent price per round for 5.56 before any "panic" that may have started?

I just bought an AR15 this year so have only been buying 5.56 for the past 6 months or so. With the exception of bulk purchases (500+ rounds at a time) I've not seen it any cheaper than $0.32/round and that was steel case Tula stuff at Dick's back before Christmas. I haven't been able to find anything in brass in under 200 count quantities for less than $0.35/round and I'm pretty confident it will go up from there over time, panic or no panic.

For reference, just picked a bunch up at Four Seasons for $175 for a case of 500 as a bit of 'insurance' against the inevitable insanity.

As November draws closer and with the possibility of Hillary Clinton becoming president, we can expect panic buying, hording, shortages and price gouging. My guess is 2008 and 2012, will look like the good old days compared to what's coming.

I was at Shooters Outpost in Hooksett this morning and picked up everything I was looking for with the exception of a keg of Titegroup. they were fully stocked but did have a 500 rd limit on .22lr. I thought their pricing on .556 was too high or I would have picked some up (I am getting ready to load up 2500 so it was low on the priority list). Prices were around .40 a round for brass cased federal.
I stopped at Cabelas in Berlin on the way home and grabbed 500 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags for $8.99 per 100 and 2x bricks of S&B primers for $24.00 each.
No sign of panic buying at either location. I had business in NH, when I travel up there I always do a little stock up so I don't consider myself worried about supplies.

I just bought an AR15 this year so have only been buying 5.56 for the past 6 months or so. With the exception of bulk purchases (500+ rounds at a time) I've not seen it any cheaper than $0.32/round and that was steel case Tula stuff at Dick's back before Christmas. I haven't been able to find anything in brass in under 200 count quantities for less than $0.35/round and I'm pretty confident it will go up from there over time, panic or no panic.

For reference, just picked a bunch up at Four Seasons for $175 for a case of 500 as a bit of 'insurance' against the inevitable insanity.

Keep shopping you are paying over what you should.

Had big problems with the tula steel case stuff over the weekend in my buddies ar. Had two separate cases fail to extract.......had to use the cleaning rod to tap.....well beat the hell out of them actually........them out. The base of the cases seemed to be bulging after firing and they jammed into the chamber.

So is .25 per round a good goal price? Is it available that low when buying less than a case?

That price target is a laudable goal; but as far as "in-state MA" prices go, I havent seen 5.56 anywhere near the $0.25/rd price point. The 500 rd case price at Four Seasons ($174.75 or 0.35/rd) is the best price I have seen. BassPro, Dicks, Wally World and certainly other LGS prices have been higher. The large sporting goods stores sometimes have loyalty bucks that you can apply, which would get you close, but day-to-day-on-the-shelf prices are higher.

I have not gone up to NH and the free folk up there may pay less, but to hit that $0.25/rd price - I would think that bulk mail buys would be the only way to get factory fresh ammo to come close

Had big problems with the tula steel case stuff over the weekend in my buddies ar. Had two separate cases fail to extract.......had to use the cleaning rod to tap.....well beat the hell out of them actually........them out. The base of the cases seemed to be bulging after firing and they jammed into the chamber.

The only stuck cases I ever had in my AR was with steel cased ammo.

The only way that happens is firing out of battery.

STOP SHOOTING THAT GUN.

Tula really is crappy ammo. I've had issues with the 7.62x39. 2 squibs, a couple seized in the chamber, with bulge like you describe. One time my vz58 just ripped the bottom of the case and left the rest in the chamber.

Lots of other reports out there of tula being garbage.

Good if you want to practice failures.

Did you examine the fed brass?

-Mike
Yup the brass ammo was perfect. The rifle was squeaky clean and lubed prior to firing too. I have quite a bit of experience with the ar platform.......21 year Army vet. I believe the steel cased crap had bad "dimensions" or some flaw. I should have taken pics........it appeared that the cases were just a "tad" wide toward the base (barely detectable). Never had to hit the forward assist to get it into battery or anything.......went in ok but would not extract. BTW I am not a fan of using the forward assist at the gun club or any range......time comes you need to force it into battery it is time to halt operations and take a look at what is going on......combat or a gun fight different story obviously use SPORTS method to get back in the fight.

But the federal brass we used after shot perfect and the cases looked good after firing. Thinking back now......the steel cases (2) that got stuck were seated in what looked to be fully into the chamber......had to use a rod to tap them out cuz there was nothing to grab from the breech.

We will never buy tulammo steel again after that experience. I've put steel and aluminum case through my revolvers before when I am in a "fiscally conservative" mood but never again through a semi auto of any kind after Sunday's experience.

Apologies to the op for hijacking the thread on this.....just trying to point out that sometimes steel case can seem like a bargain.....until you try to feed it through your equipment!

Last edited:
That price target is a laudable goal; but as far as "in-state MA" prices go, I havent seen 5.56 anywhere near the $0.25/rd price point. The 500 rd case price at Four Seasons ($174.75 or 0.35/rd) is the best price I have seen. BassPro, Dicks, Wally World and certainly other LGS prices have been higher. The large sporting goods stores sometimes have loyalty bucks that you can apply, which would get you close, but day-to-day-on-the-shelf prices are higher.

I have not gone up to NH and the free folk up there may pay less, but to hit that $0.25/rd price - I would think that bulk mail buys would be the only way to get factory fresh ammo to come close

Paid $165/ case of 500 of Federal up at Rileys last weekend. Plenty in stock. Not sure i'd drive all the way up there for 10 bucks and tax, but i was in the area so might as well.

Tula really is crappy ammo. I've had issues with the 7.62x39. 2 squibs, a couple seized in the chamber, with bulge like you describe. One time my vz58 just ripped the bottom of the case and left the rest in the chamber.

Lots of other reports out there of tula being garbage.

Good if you want to practice failures.

I opened a box once and saw how filthy it was even before firing. I quickly closed the box and moved back to something pricier but more reliable. Wolf Gold is probably where I draw the line as I shot it at the last car shoot and it fed reliably with no FTF/FTE, shot accurately, and didn't muck up my AR.

Back
Top Bottom