Panic Buying

Honesty, I buy a few boxes or a bulk pack every time I go to the store, whether people are panic buying or not. Why wouldn't you?

I am not buying anything because, eh, no matter what you stockpile, if they win, they will get to you one way or another. Donating to gun rights orgs is a much better way to spend money IMHO.

For me, if I have a pre ban gun I do not feel lucky because I got it before the ban, but rather I feel humiliated because it is a reminder that I exist at the mercy of the govt and tomorrow they could confiscate it if their left leg decides so.

I am not buying anything because, eh, no matter what you stockpile, if they win, they will get to you one way or another. Donating to gun rights orgs is a much better way to spend money IMHO.

I have a simpler way of looking at it....

Do you want to shoot during the "dark year" or not without chasing around overpriced ammo? That's all this actually is about. If you don't care about that, then just do whatever. This isn't some tinfoiler thing about never being able to buy ammo ever again, it's about staying ahead of a probable supply drought that could last anywhere from 3 to 12 months. We've only seen this movie like 3 times in the past decade. The ending doesn't change much just the duration of the movie.

-Mike

Best thing to do is go way out of state and buy lowers. Too many NE dealers outside of MA know about this ban, and won't touch it. I bet you could probably pick up some lowers in Texas or Arizona somewhere and mail them back to yourself.
A friend of mine, who now lives out of state, bought 4 33 round glock mags from an out of state dealer. Dealer didn't care he was from MA, I don't think if you get caught with the mag the dealer is held liable anyway.

I have a simpler way of looking at it....

Do you want to shoot during the "dark year" or not without chasing around overpriced ammo? That's all this actually is about. If you don't care about that, then just do whatever. This isn't some tinfoiler thing about never being able to buy ammo ever again, it's about staying ahead of a probable supply drought that could last anywhere from 3 to 12 months. We've only seen this movie like 3 times in the past decade. The ending doesn't change much just the duration of the movie.

-Mike

Wifey just called from Wally World. "Do we want some ammo?" Well, sure. Broke out my list of good prices from my latest scouring of ammoseek, told her what was a good and what was a not so good price, and she wound up picking up a couple of boxes of 9mm for 26/rd, couple boxes of 223 for 28/rd, and a couple boxes of 20 ga target for 21/rd, all brass. They were pretty high on 12 ga 00 buck so we passed. Not bad, and I totally agree with buying reasonable stuff whenever you can--even though we've already got enough of everything to last a long time. Enough is never enough.

I have seen zero evidence of panic buying. Went to FS and Cabelas in the last few days and shelves are fully stocked.

Best thing to do is go way out of state and buy lowers. Too many NE dealers outside of MA know about this ban, and won't touch it. I bet you could probably pick up some lowers in Texas or Arizona somewhere and mail them back to yourself.

Because of the changes in federal law you can't do this anymore, at least not without having a 2nd residency somewhere else. Lowers are now treated the same as handguns by federal law and undergo the same cock-block mechanism as handguns do... meaning the controlled part must be sent back through the state of residence.

-Mike

Wifey just called from Wally World. "Do we want some ammo?" Well, sure. Broke out my list of good prices from my latest scouring of ammoseek, told her what was a good and what was a not so good price, and she wound up picking up a couple of boxes of 9mm for 26/rd, couple boxes of 223 for 28/rd, and a couple boxes of 20 ga target for 21/rd, all brass. They were pretty high on 12 ga 00 buck so we passed. Not bad, and I totally agree with buying reasonable stuff whenever you can--even though we've already got enough of everything to last a long time. Enough is never enough.

Brass 223 for 28c a round? Thats a good buy. Which brand and which walmart?

I always go for the 556, like to pay 35-40c per round. Wondering if I should switch to 223 instead to save on the wallet? Seems cheaper on the average?

A friend of mine, who now lives out of state, bought 4 33 round glock mags from an out of state dealer. Dealer didn't care he was from MA, I don't think if you get caught with the mag the dealer is held liable anyway.

You realize that others see your post and that you are not immune hiding behind the curtain. Right?

I'm not advocating right or wrong here. Just a lack of better judgement skills.

Brass 223 for 28c a round? Thats a good buy. Which brand and which walmart?

She said it was Federal. Unfortunately she misunderstood me, or I misunderstood her, so she didn't buy any. She came home with 200 rds of 20 ga target and a 100 rd box of 9mm. Walmart in Roanoke VA, south side.

Best thing to do is go way out of state and buy lowers.\
The BATFE classified lowers as "other" on the 4473 so, unlike rifles, you cannot buy them out of state. The form used to lump lowers in with long guns, but that was "conveniently" changed.

A dealer may only sell an out of state resident a rifle if it would be legal for that buyer to purchase it in his home state.

So, other than the fact that this out of state purchase is against federal law, you have a good plan.

I always go for the 556, like to pay 35-40c per round. Wondering if I should switch to 223 instead to save on the wallet? Seems cheaper on the average?

I find they are usually the same price. I prefer 223 since the primer pocket doesn't need to be swaged to reload.

I've started buying 223 exclusively. I've got plenty of 556 stocked up for future emergencies, so for normal shooting, training classes, etc it makes sense to me to buy 223 and leave the 556 in standby.

The BATFE classified lowers as "other" on the 4473 so, unlike rifles, you cannot buy them out of state. The form used to lump lowers in with long guns, but that was "conveniently" changed.

A dealer may only sell an out of state resident a rifle if it would be legal for that buyer to purchase it in his home state.

So, other than the fact that this out of state purchase is against federal law, you have a good plan.

One could make the argument that they were buying the lower to build a bolt-action rifle, which (for now at least) doesn't appear to be under Healey's latest ban-guidance.

http://pof-usa.com/revolt/

I've started buying 223 exclusively. I've got plenty of 556 stocked up for future emergencies, so for normal shooting, training classes, etc it makes sense to me to buy 223 and leave the 556 in standby.

That's exactly what I was thinking!! Thank you.

It's not illegal for a Mass resident to buy those Glock mags out of state, just illegal to bring them back.

The nature of panic buying is that it's idiotic.

Buying 3-4 months ahead of elections is not panic people's type of buying.

OMG IT'S November 1st and I have NO AMMO!

^Now that's panic buying.

Along with companies working endless hours to cope with demands of last panic ($19 for a box of 9mm.. ) maybe there's enough in the warehouses for a while.

Well, we'll see come November 1st [laugh]

If Hilda wins POUTS ? All bets are off. I'm heading to Cabelas with a WalMart cart.

If Hilda wins POUTS ? All bets are off. I'm heading to Cabelas with a WalMart cart.

She's up big on the polls. Add this to the increasing number of new MA shooters who are jumping on after hearing about the ban and its a recipe for chaos. I've already talked to a handful of people who had no interest in guns just months ago that now want to "build an arsenal" because they feel hillary will take away all the guns.

I had plans to add another pistol and maybe a nice 12 gauge to my collection by the end of the year. Those will now be put on hold and the funds will be used to stock up on a decent amount of ammo in all the calibers I shoot. Not to be cool, not to show off to my buddies, not just for the hell of it, but to have enough to weather the storm while the newbs run around like crazy, pay $1 a round for 5.56, and wipe the shelves clean when they see hillary has it in the bag near the end of october/beginning of november.

I wouldn't call such slow accumulation in anticipation of chaos "panic buying", I just see it as being prepared. Hell I'm gonna keep shooting anyway so if the panic never comes the rounds will never go to waste.

She's up big on the polls.

If you believe msnbc and the other clinton buttlicking media sources. How abuot that NBC poll that was referenced here a few days ago? Even Jill Stein was beating her. Anyway, after seeing her clinging to rails/chairs/tables yesterday, I think she may not make November.[grin] Looks like MS to me.

I agree with others that say its not panic buying. It's better to be prepared than overpaying post election time. Certainly not going to expire or drop in price.

Rob said it best:
It's prudent inventory management, not panic buying.

Back
Top Bottom