Panic Buying

So, ummm, question:

Needing another 24 gun safe, just for your ammo, that's normal right?

I can't fit any more ammo cans......they're squashed in there like beer cans in a college kids dorm fridge, can't possibly fit another.

Use safes for the guns. Get locking filing cabinets for the ammunition.

I guess I could use locking cabs for the overflow. Although a low crime area, I've had shtuff stolen from me before. I really don't like having things stolen. I think the ammo is safer in a 500 lb fireproof safe bolted to the floor.

Iv been looking a lot and buying when deals pop up at 22 and 223.
Prices have been steady.
Yet the "good" brands are hard to find.
CCI 22 is pretty much unicorn unless you are willing to pay 20c/round (ish).
Federal AE 223 comes on and off.
I wish I could spare the money and get the bulk deals I saw few days ago.

Cabela's has CCI pretty regularly as does Walmart. Cabela's is usually about .10 per round, Walmart .075 per. I Just bought some Mini-mags at Walmart for 7.67 a sleeve of 100.

Ugh not in the central MA area that I have been looking and not near Laconia NH that I visited this weekend.
Not sure what stores you are going to but W Boylston and Leicester both had 22 last week, CCI and others. If you want to find it you need to be diligent. During the last bad shortage I went every day and got friendly with the guys in sporting goods. I knew what days they got trucks and what time they usually finished unloading them.

I did the same at Dicks, went there every day at lunch time. Always shot the bull with the guy at the ammo counter.

Safe to assume that was 36g for 7.67?

I believe so, I don't pay a lot of attention with mini-mags . I use it mostly for my pistols at less than 50 yards so bullet weight is not a big factor. If I do use it in my rifle the scope has a graduated turret for the different weights.

Their price is always the same no matter what weight and style bullet.

I guess I could use locking cabs for the overflow. Although a low crime area, I've had shtuff stolen from me before. I really don't like having things stolen. I think the ammo is safer in a 500 lb fireproof safe bolted to the floor.

Seems like a lot of money to lay out for something that is going to have every square inch filled with ammo. Sure its light when its empty but that just means you need to buy a few cases of ammo the day after you put it in.

Locking file cab or gang box for ammo. Safe is too much money to lay out just to hold ammo, imo.

Anything short of a safe with legitimately thick walls is going to fail on an attack from the sides anyway. No point in paying for pounds of fireproofing and a dial lock when it can be cut open from the side just as easily as as a heavy duty file cabinet.

anyone seeing large rifle primers around worcester for a decent price? cci's preferred, but don't have to be.

Yeah those seem to be less common lately. Everytime I stopped at Cabelas they only had magnum rifle primers. No pistol primers either. I'm sure NH shops like SO or Rileys would have them.

The local shop down here in CT is stocked to the ceiling with Win and Federal LRP but no pistol primers.

Use safes for the guns. Get locking filing cabinets for the ammunition.

Anything short of a safe with legitimately thick walls is going to fail on an attack from the sides anyway. No point in paying for pounds of fireproofing and a dial lock when it can be cut open from the side just as easily as as a heavy duty file cabinet.

I got two big metal lateral filing cabinets when they cleared out my old office at work, they hold a ton and they lock.

Well that escalated quickly.
Went to CL
250 lb Diebold 4 drawer locking fireproof cabinet for $100.
Lady replied said, "sorry it's now on Freecycle.com and sitting in my front yard.
SCORE!!!!!!!

diebold.jpg

Well that escalated quickly.
Went to CL
250 lb Diebold 4 drawer locking fireproof cabinet for $100.
Lady replied said, "sorry it's now on Freecycle.com and sitting in my front yard.
SCORE!!!!!!!

View attachment 178712

Score indeed! Its a good day for you apparently. Now you just need to bolt that down and put several hundred more pounds in it in the form of ammo.

Seems like reloading components like small pistol primers are drying up from the various online vendors. I'm sure it's people who have waited until now to stock up....

Ammo availabillity is still okay but the various brands seemed to be out of stock online.

I used to think anything over $20-25 for an externally dated preban AR mag was a ripoff. Now, only months later, gun shops are selling undated ones for $45. Panic mode: initiated....

Yup, should have started a long time ago. Takes time to build up a small comfortable store...

4405d1323644287-ammo-storage-my-ammo.jpg

I used to think anything over $20-25 for an externally dated preban AR mag was a ripoff. Now, only months later, gun shops are selling undated ones for $45. Panic mode: initiated....

Yep. Though that's more related to the AG's bull*** not so much with the election (IMO anyway). But regardless, I agree that people are crazy spending that kind of money on mags.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, should have started a long time ago. Takes time to build up a small comfortable store...

Rookie.

Yep. Though that's more related to the AG's bull*** not so much with the election (IMO anyway). But regardless, I agree that people are crazy spending that kind of money on mags.

It's mostly related to lazy newbs buying into the myth and paying too much because they think "that's the going rate". Although I won't call it a ripoff- more like "lazy buyer surcharge". Like buying milk at a convenience store type of thing.

-Mike

Figures as soon as I have disposable income again, the election will be over. I'm dumping my whole next paycheck into a new gun and ammo.

Figures as soon as I have disposable income again, the election will be over. I'm dumping my whole next paycheck into a new gun and ammo.
I start a new job with much higher pay right after the election. It's killing me that by the time I have the cash everything is going to be twice as expensive

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I start a new job with much higher pay right after the election. It's killing me that by the time I have the cash everything is going to be twice as expensive

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
I know the feeling, have my eye on something to carry but can't get justify jumping on it before bonus time. Given that I already have stuff to fill the purpose and flexibility on model I am comfortable waiting. Hasn't stopped me from buying ammo for it though.....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Way too much wasted space there. You need to fix that.

You and me both brother. I'm planning on picking up more .223 and 12ga tonight. Might pick up a new shotgun as well, but I'm really fighting hard to justify that one at this point. The ammo is a must though.

Back
Top Bottom