• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Realistic looking fake guns have cops worried

NES Member
Not all police departments are against them. Milford Police Chief Thomas O’Loughlin said he thinks Airsoft guns are good fun.

"My kids love them," said O’Loughlin. "I don’t have a problem with them as long as kids wear protective gear. There’s nothing to them. If you get hit on bare skin, even at close proximity, it’s just a little sting."

Good for him!

"Now there are manufacturers who are making real guns look like toys and toy guns that look real, and somewhere in the middle is a dangerous proposition for police officers," Shastany said.
More like a dangerous proposition for the fool that points it at a cop or anyone that's carrying!

Jon is right. One of LEO buddies (he and I both served as Special POs until he went FT) has drawn on (and was pulling up the slack on the trigger) two Darwin candidates who drew/pointed Airsoft guns (ends painted black of course) at him! He (LEO) was upset about it, but as I told him . . . if someone points a gun at you, regardless if it is real or fake, they are inviting a "dirt nap" and deserve it.

JonJ said:
More like a dangerous proposition for the fool that points it at a cop or anyone that's carrying!

What about the kids using them in the games against each other who were surrounded by police?

Coyote33 said:
What about the kids using them in the games against each other who were surrounded by police?

Hopefully Ma and Pa taught them not to point them at the Police.

The instances I referred to above was what some may call "4th term abortion"!

- Case 1 - 16 yo girl threatens to kill Mother and Sister . . . they barricade themselves in a room and call 911, PD calls one of the LECs to respond! Officer spots girl in square. As he approaches her, she draws the gun and starts to point it at the officer as he's taking up slack on the trigger!

- Case 2 - some kids (IIRC 10-12 yos) playing with black-painted Airsoft in bank parking lot. Officers called for "kids with guns in bank parking lot". Dimwit points gun at Officer!

If we lowered the school population by two here, I'd only have empathy for my buddy (LEO) who dropped the hammer. To hell with the kids that are too stupid to live!

as someone in possession of these "realistic looking fake guns", I will be watching to see what crap Fox25 is going to say on the 10 pm news tonight

there was just a recent article in american handgunner i believe about how many PDs are using airsofts as training guns instead of the red or blue guns because they are similar in almost every aspect to real guns including the moving parts which the red and blue guns lack...a buddy of mine got an airsoft replica of a walther p99 awhile back...it had the metal stainless slide and everything...he painted the tip black and had i not known the difference before hand id say it was a real p99...ive heard of 2 instances where some one was shot cuz of "replica guns"...one guy tried to hold up a convenience store with one and the clerk took him out with some well place 00 buck...i read that one in a gun magazine and im pretty sure it was ruled a justifiable shooting...the other happened not too long ago in lynn...a cop was telling me his buddy was off duty and someone tried to car jack him...they pulled a gun and the off duty officer in turn pulled his and issued a non fatal shot...when the suspect was down the cop realized the gun was an airsoft...

when i worked st dick's sporting goods we had a policy where no one under 18 could even be in the airsoft aisle and that you neede to be 18 to purchase one...i cant even tell you how many times younger kids would come up to me and ask me which was the most realistic...when i asked why they'd tell me someone was bullying them at school and they needed to protect themselves...i remember distinctly one kid saying "get a gun get respect...aint no one gonna mess with me if i get 1 of them"...kinda scary...and sad i guess

blood hound said:
i remember distinctly one kid saying "get a gun get respect...aint no one gonna mess with me if i get 1 of them"...kinda scary...and sad i guess

And that's whats going to hurt gun owners. When they get a hold of statements like this from kids. Sad thing is the Liberals are the ones doing this to our country.

They stop gun education. Promote welfare, therefore leading to more gang violence. It just goes on and on...

Mabye I'm being short sighted, or looking at this wrong.. But please tell me if that's the case...

I don't want to sound callous.

+1 LenS

LenS said:
I'd only have empathy for my buddy (LEO) who dropped the hammer. To hell with the kids that are too stupid to live!

When natural selection thins the herd of sheeple, isn't this called Darwinism ? [thinking]

whether a criminal uses a 1911, or a airsoft 1911 in the comission of a crime the intent is the same..and so should the reaction of law enforcement and the subsequent punishment shold they survive said reaction...
and if im right about the law, thats essentially the case now..
so whast the purpose really of all this media flatulence on the issue?
its illegal to rob someone at gunpoint already, real or not..

whether a criminal uses a 1911, or a airsoft 1911 in the comission of a crime the intent is the same..and so should the reaction of law enforcement and the subsequent punishment shold they survive said reaction...
and if im right about the law, thats essentially the case now..
so whast the purpose really of all this media flatulence on the issue?
its illegal to rob someone at gunpoint already, real or not..

+1

SnakeEye is right.

If someone shapes a soapbar like a gun or has their hand in their pocket that makes it look like a gun to a "reasonable person", the person gets charged like it is a real gun and hopefully gets convicted likewise.

If you do that to a LEO or armed civilian, if said person acts like it is real because s/he believes it to be so, it is a legally justifiable shoot. Of course the media will castigate the shooter, but the law is clear on this point.

Yes, this is indeed "Natural Selection" or Darwinism!

my problem with these is i expect sometime soon, a moron with one will pull it on an officer and get shot. the officer will be traumatized by the incident ( totaaly justifiable and said morn deserved it imo.) then the family will ue saying the officer should have known it was a toy. total bs imo.

jack

Jack,

I suspect that this has already happened. These realistic looking Airsoft guns are "nothing new" . . . must have been a boring news day when they suddenly "discovered" them. These have been around for at least 10 years and probably a lot longer.

JonJ said:

Damn skippy.

Back in my cop days, I nearly unloaded my 12 ga on an idiot I thought was robbing a drive-in. Had what looked like a sawed-off sxs down at his side, and when he came out the side door, I did the police yelling thing and was tightening up the slack when my backup arrived and made the stop.

It was a plastic dart gun. Looked like an sxs close up, with the fake wood grain thing.

At 20 yards in the partially lit side lot of the building, it looked real enough to me.

I would have felt really bad about and then gone home in one piece.

RJ

When a gun is pointed at a person they don't have the option to give it a 106 point inspection to see if it's a "Real Gun".

Of course it's Airsoft's fault, because nobody is actully responcible for thier actions! [rolleyes]

-Weer'd Beard

just to be clear about my concern, i DO NOT think its anyones fualt buut the moron pointing it at an officer. i DO NOT think they should be banned or anything. i'm just worried about an officer's mental and physical health. i also DO NOT want a family to be able to sue and exacerbate the officer's situation.

jack

I totally agree with that.

While I was in Medford some Joker decided to hold up a gas station with an Airsoft Beretta 92 with the orange plug removed. The attendant pulled his own gun and shot both men. I know one of the Goblins was dead at the scene, don't know what happened to the other one.

One of the cops that arrived on the scene was the same cop who gave me my safty training. He saw that it was an airsoft, and that it was a clean shooting. He didn't even bother to tell the man it wasn't a real gun he was staring down the barrell of.

I'm sure he eventully figgured it out (the paper had some sort of semi-truth printed that made it sound like the gun was an OBVIOUS fake or whatever) but at that moment the cops spared him that doubt that might cloud the fact that he did the right thing.

My big problem is the media can't decide what side they're on. They love to vilify these realistic guns, and tell stories about how stupid kids get themselves shot by doing stupid things with them....but also they like to vilify cops and armed citizens for shooting "Children" who point fake guns at them.

This is nothing new, I don't know the story, but when I was in elementary school there was talk of a "kid" getting shot for pointing a Laser Tag gun at a police officer. We all knew that if our toys look real, that other people might mistake them as such.... nothing new here.

-Weer'd Beard

Replica guns are nothing new; remember the great cap guns we has as kids (circa 1960’s)? Try buying one today, it’s impossible in MA. In fact I was asking about cap guns at a toy store once and I thought the clerk was going to call DSS on me. This is more about lawyers and liberals than cops and robbers.

I have a few airsoft guns. one is a fully trademarked glock 17 replica that other than the feel when it goes off, i even have trouble distinguishing between the real thing. Real glock trades, identical weight, metal slide and blowback action, etc etc. Mine doesnt even have the orange front because it was an import.

And as for the guy who said that they "just sting" when hitting bare skin, he hasnt been shot by a high end airsoft rifle. Most of the customized ones push .25 gram BBs at 400-500fps. ive been shot on bare skin from 20 feet away in full auto once, and i spent the next 15 minutes popping bbs out of my flesh like zits...not toys in any sense.

I think it all comes down to parents. If kids are smart, there is no problem. The more airsoft guns are treated like "toys" the more problems we will have.

With the high end stuff, you definitely need to wear your protective equipment.

My Airsoft guns never left the house when I was young. Of course, I was taught gun safety at age 5 and was an RSO at 14.

Replica guns are nothing new; remember the great cap guns we has as kids (circa 1960’s)? Try buying one today, it’s impossible in MA. In fact I was asking about cap guns at a toy store once and I thought the clerk was going to call DSS on me. This is more about lawyers and liberals than cops and robbers.

Yeah it's strange, I remember having this pearl handled revolver cap-gun. Got it at the five and ten. I don't remember if my parents bought it for me because I wanted it, or someone gave it as a gift, or if I bought it with my own money. It looks like the value appreciated at least as much as for an M1 carbine [grin]

jrshot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom