• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safety Question-

Can you comment more on why rechambering a carry round is a bad idea? I wouldn’t have given that a second thought. Thanks
In the Glock 40's it was a HUGE problem, and led to the famous Glock Kaboom's that were happening with disturbing frequency.

It was determined that the angle of the feed ramp was the problem, a problem that was not an issue in other calibers. There is some speculation that unsupported areas when the bullet is chambered was a contributing factor in addition to the setback of the bullet into the casing by multiple chambering cycles causing an over pressurization of the round

After 3 chamberings of a 40 S&W into a Glock 40 it is advisable to toss it into your range ammo can IMHO

After 3 chamberings of a 40 S&W into a Glock 40 it is advisable to toss it into your range ammo can IMHO
why do you de-chamber your carry glock? it either needs to be sitting in the level 2/3 retention holster, or do not chamber it at all - do an israeli carry, if that is your choice - but why would one ever chamber it in and then de-chamber it constantly?

The Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, verses 9-21.

And the Lord spake saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count. Neither count thou two, excepting that thou proceed to three. Five is right out."
Monthy Python's Holy Grail? Nice!!

why do you de-chamber your carry glock? it either needs to be sitting in the level 2/3 retention holster, or do not chamber it at all - do an israeli carry, if that is your choice - but why would one ever chamber it in and then de-chamber it constantly?
Some people clear their weapons before putting them away, personally if it is not a SHTF grab gun it is unloaded when it gets stored.

If you are carrying the same gun daily, and you leave it loaded in the holster overnight not a problem, but leaving loaded guns in boxes in the safe is not something I encourage people to do.

It is an issue to continue to rechamber.

As a policy my pistols all are unchambered but loaded in my safe, so are shotguns. If applicable I drop the hammer/striker to relieve spring tension (like on a Glock, AR, shotgun, etc).

I guess as a policy I could keep the pistols chambered but I like relieving that spring.. Also the pistol on my night stand I prefer not to be chambered, being unconscious i feel like I am not necessarily in control and could reach over and squeeze a round off in my sleep or something.

I guess as a policy I could keep the pistols chambered but I like relieving that spring.. Also the pistol on my night stand I prefer not to be chambered, being unconscious i feel like I am not necessarily in control and could reach over and squeeze a round off in my sleep or something.
in that store - choose one you like - like this one
View: https://www.amazon.com/Orpaz-Holster-Bearing-Attachment-Compatible/dp/B08KSJZD5M

then make a policy that if a gun is in the holster and a holster is locked - it means the gun is chambered and is ready to fire. it can go into a safe like that too, safe will not explode and round will not self-combust. applies to any gun and any non-leather holster that is capable of keeping a gun in it.

I'll probibly mirror everyone
What is your method of unloading your Pistol ( no Wheel guns)

Do you drop the mag 1st and lock your slide back? Then make sure the Pistol is clear- looking in the chamber to make sure no rounds are present.

Lock your Slide 1st, then drop the mag. Then make sure the Pistol is clear- looking in the chamber to make sure no rounds are present.
I'll probably mirror everyone else, but:

Drop the mag 1st
Why? The magazine is under pressure from the spring and stacked rounds pushing up against the bottom of the slide, by dropping the magazine you're easing the pressure on the slide allowing it to rack more easily.

Rack the slide
Racking the slide is actually just going to pop an old round and insert a new one, you'll want to hold the slide back. This is easier done with an empty gun than a loaded one, god forbit you fumble and slam fire or some other stupid shit. By the time you're on this step your gun should be clear, and its clear because you pulled your mag so no new rounds can enter, and if your gun is in good working order, your last round popped out when you racked the slide. Some guns have slide locks to lock the slide back, some don't. Just drop the mag, then rack.

Some people rack a few times (me too), I find the safety a bit therapeutic, you really can't rack too much in the safety world, but racking alone isn't enough, visually inspect the chamber. As an example, my walther's extractor hops over the rim of a round to seat, my glock does not, the round must slide up behind the extractor. Racking a glock all day might not remove a round as the extractor will just rest on the back of the rim, and sometimes, with a sub-spec rim or damaged rim from say a shitty ammo manufacturer you could encounter a similar problem. Really look up in there, f***ing up isn't worth it.

then make a policy that if a gun is in the holster and a holster is locked - it means the gun is chambered and is ready to fire. it can go into a safe like that too, safe will not explode and round will not self-combust. applies to any gun and any non-leather holster that is capable of keeping a gun in it.

This, have a system.
Holstered handguns are always loaded.
Stored firearms are always unloaded.
If I'm in an emergency, I have loaded mags stored next to unloaded firearms, but I never leave a stored gun loaded because I'll forget and try to put a trigger lock on that thing before going out to the range and blow a window out or some shit.

These things may change if you have children, I do not.

**Edit**
I should probably clarify. That despite "the system" every gun should still be treated as if it's loaded.
We tend to think these things to be obvious to those who own guns, but if you're new or don't own one and bump across this post you might miss that fact.
Basic rule: Treat every gun as if it's loaded unless you've confirmed otherwise. If I'm sitting down to clean my glock, clear it, put the ammo and mag away, then leave for a beer from the fridge and come back, guess what? The f***in gun is miraculously loaded again. Any disruption of any kind prompts a check to see if the gun is safe because it's stupid simple to do and takes just a second.

So, when I say "a holstered handgun is loaded" I mean that, while any gun is "loaded", I also know that any holstered handgun I have is ready to go bang if a crazed meth head decides he wants to play ET while I'm sleeping. A non-holstered gun at my house isn't "safe" or "unloaded", it's just not ready to go.

Last edited:
This, have a system.
i would really emphasise on the level 2 lockable holster, as it helps to prohibit a habit of casually pulling a chambered gun out of it for observation and shoving it back into.

my system always drops mag rack the slide 4 times let round hit the floor ( I do not catch the dam round)- then lock slide and inspect chamber and magwell. Say clear!

OP you can always make a Bullet Sand Trap for clearing your pistol if concerned about a Negligent Discharge (ND) by filling a
5-gal Bucket 3/4 of the way with sand, and then clear your piece with the muzzle pointing into the sand...
(the centermost portion of the sand so as to run the bullet into the most amount of sand. No edge shots...)
1610391973437.png

Next Question: "Do you have any cats...?"

1610392887987.png

Last edited:
in that store - choose one you like - like this one
View: https://www.amazon.com/Orpaz-Holster-Bearing-Attachment-Compatible/dp/B08KSJZD5M

I don't mind loaded guns in the safe, just chose to make it a non chambered policy.

That is a decent idea though, pistol in holster = chambered, not in holster = unchambered. All safety rules still obviously apply but you have a system.

Still like my bedside gun as is, simple enough to chamber it but is complicated enough I feel safe sleeping that way.. Really it's there for bump in the night, even my bedroom door is deadbolted (just is the type of doorknob I use on it).

He was in his reloading area, in the basement, concrete floor.
Was hoping for a beefier carpet, at least.

PeriodicUnrulyJavalina-small.gif

This, have a system.
Stored firearms are always unloaded.
If I'm in an emergency, I have loaded mags stored next to unloaded firearms, but I never leave a stored gun loaded because I'll forget and try to put a trigger lock on that thing before going out to the range and blow a window out or some shit.

These things may change if you have children, I do not.

Yup.

My carry guns are loaded and in holsters.
My range guns are unloaded and in the safe; loaded mags on top of the safe.
The only loaded gun in the safe is a Mossberg 500 with 00 in the tube and an empty chamber.
My office AR is unloaded, with magazines readily to hand.
A couple of backup guns are in a wall cabinet, in a closet - loaded and in holsters.

If it's in a holster it's loaded - except at a match running a cold range.

I knew one guy who had a system. He kept all his guns loaded all the time. Claimed that since he knew every gun was loaded he had no problem always treating them as such. He had no wife or kids and lived alone. He was a strange dude, but as long as I knew him he never had an ND.

drop mag, rack the slide a few times to eject any round in the chamber, rack the slide and lock open to visually inspect the chamber, if the chamber if clear release the slide ( do not let it slam ) and with the muzzle facing in a safe direction and down pull the trigger

This.
Except the warning to not drop the slide hard on an empty chamber really only applies to 1911s.

I knew one guy who had a system. He kept all his guns loaded all the time. Claimed that since he knew every gun was loaded he had no problem always treating them as such. He had no wife or kids and lived alone. He was a strange dude, but as long as I knew him he never had an ND.
My wife and I have a system.

Any gun in any safe that is in a holster is loaded. So while you always treat every gun like its loaded. If a gun is in the safe in a holster, you can COUNT ON it being loaded (and with a round in the chamber).

Any gun in any safe that is in a holster is loaded. So while you always treat every gun like its loaded. If a gun is in the safe in a holster, you can COUNT ON it being loaded (and with a round in the chamber).
My system is to have a single “hot” safe. Any gun in that safe is hot; loaded with a round in the chamber. The only guns in the hot safe are my EDC guns and my home defense pistol. The hot safe is next to my bed tethered to an under floor beam. Having the home defense gun in the safe means that I have to be awake enough to open the safe to get to it. I’m willing to accept that delay in the name of safety. The fact that I open and close the safe twice a day (in the morning to remove my carry gun for the day and at night when I put it back) means I have high confidence that I’ll be able to get in the safe quickly when I have to.

Call me crazy but I feel no need to rack the slide 9 times, and this way I don't have to go chasing a random 9mm round under my bed or couch.

I don't understand racking the slide either. Just lock it back and visually inspect, twice. Done. Seems like wasted energy and unnecessary wear on your gun.

Pulling the trigger after is not on my agenda either. Training yourself to pull the trigger when not on target seems like a potential training scare, unless you actually aim to practice that nice trigger press one last time before putting your ghat away.

We do the same thing. Pump shotgun is cruiser ready on the door of the safe and any handgun in a holster is definitely loaded. Everything else should be unloaded but 4 rules still apply.

I don't understand racking the slide either. Just lock it back and visually inspect, twice. Done. Seems like wasted energy and unnecessary wear on your gun.

Pulling the trigger after is not on my agenda either. Training yourself to pull the trigger when not on target seems like a potential training scare, unless you actually aim to practice that nice trigger press one last time before putting your ghat away.

Ahhh I always do. At the point where I am sure a once loaded gun is now unloaded, before I go putting it away (or disassembling it) I point it safely and "fire". Some guns, AR's or Glocks for instance, I want to store trigger released either way, once you check them a dry fire is needed.

Back
Top Bottom