The NRA What do you think?

None of what you just said rebuts my point about the NRA doing little to nothing in Massachusetts. I totally agree that on a national basis, the NRA is the most effective 2A organization in existance but as a gun owner in Massachusetts, national laws are currently low on my list of problems.

Where was the NRA when Romney signed the MA AWB? Where was the NRA when the AG regs went into effect? Where was the NRA over the last two years when various new gun control measures have been floated as bills in MA?

I also don't see how these complaints about the NRA divide MA gun owners into multiple camps. As I said, I'm an NRA member. However, due to their inaction here, my best course of action is to funnel any extra money I have for this cause towards GOAL instead of the NRA. Most people on this board would rather their tax money be kept local as much as possible. To me, it's the same with the NRA and GOAL.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the NRA is getting involved in the recent machine gun bill so I'll start to reconsider this position. That's a very recent development though so I'm not changing yet.

MA may well be a lost cause but as I mentioned, we can't be anymore of a lost cause than Chicago or DC yet the NRA is involved in those places. They need to show some more attention here too.

Lynne and a few others seem to understand.

Basically the more we divide ourselves into different camps, the less united front we present towards the anti-gun crowd who seem very willing to ignore their differences in order to achieve their goal of no guns for you and me.

Whatever the NRA did some 80-odd years ago when no one really anticipated todays push for total gun control is old news. Period. The NRA of today seems to understand and works for us on a broad front of activities that GOA, JPFO, CCRKBA, SAF, and just about all others simply cannot match.

Unfortunately the NRA also has their share of people who don't get it, but that is one of the costs of representing all gun owners. I'll bet GOA cannot even begin to reach the audience which the NRA reaches by being America's gun organization.

So complain away. The rest of us will continue to carry the water for those who will continue to find things to complain about rather than things to support.

+1

i agree with Fprice on those comments, an army fails when its divided.

If you have a bitch about hammer them, get on the phone, send email.

Get involoved and quit the bitchin.

The Brady campaign is waiting to give you a medal.

JimB

i agree with Fprice on those comments, an army fails when its divided.

If you have a bitch about hammer them, get on the phone, send email.

Get involoved and quit the bitchin.

The Brady campaign is waiting to give you a medal.

JimB

I've told the NRA my opinion a few times. Also, dont' give me that Brady campaign crap. If you want unity, that's not the way to get it.

What we need is unity in the polling booth. Lets unite and throw out all the anti's in Mass to make statement. That would scare the S***t out of the rest of the country.

What we need is unity in the polling booth. Lets unite and throw out all the anti's in Mass to make statement. That would scare the S***t out of the rest of the country.

Easier said than done. We, here in RI, have the same problem. Blind and uninformed folks voting blindly....not to mention the illegals and "dead folks". Most folks here in RI think the Dems are great. Any discussion is met with "blank stares"...and almost a "WhatsamattaU"? The politicos in our state are entrenched and the "usefull idiots" keep voting them in. What in the world is it going to take to wake people up?

On a national level the NRA should be supported without rerservation. They sponsor the national matches at Camp Perry as well as protecting our rights. One should also support the state organization.

nra

whats the ethnic make up of detroit,chicago???.I lived in Mass for 76 yrs and went to every hearing in the state house how many have you gone to??
its the young people that have let the gun owners down.before 1960 it was only the permit to carry and that was a piece of paper with out finger prints or picture.you could not use it to buy a gun.then Kennedy came along and got killed and the democrates went balistic.by the way what WAB bill did rommney sign did you read it.the things that changed were an advantage for you.BUT GOA TRASHED ROMNEY AS IF IT WAS THE ORIGINAL BAN.AND MIGHT HAVE DESTROYED HIS BID.STICK YOUR HEADS BACK IN THE SAND AND GO BACK TO GOA.
THE NRA RELIES ON GOAL TO REPRESENT THEM IN MASS.WHERE IS THE 1,700,000 LICENSED GUN OWNERS THAT WERE HERE BEFORE 1998.I HAVE ASKED BEFORE AND NEVER GOT AN ANSWER SO I DONT EXPECT ONE NOW.
AND WHO ARE THE REP THAT CHANGED TO DEM,MAINE NH???.

I owe the NRA no allegience,if they play politics and "compromise" too much ,I support another organization.If others do that perhaps one of the other groups will become the "big dog".The NRA mission statement is great but everyone needs a reality check now and then.

The NRA does more for the RKBA than any individual, or any other group, and it's in all gunowners best interests to advocate joining and working together. All gunowners benefit from the work done by the NRA, whether, or not, you are a member. For example - we all remember that in 1987 only 10 states recognized the right to carry for self-protection. Today, due to the NRA, 40 states do.

Let's not forget what they've done for Preemption Laws, Castle Doctrine, Emergency Powers Laws, protecting gun owners and dealers privacy rights with the Tiahrt Amendment, "The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act”, and the Heller decision, as well as fighting against the old and new AW bans, National Park firearms bans, UN Gun Control, Gun Show bans and reforming the abuses of the BATFE. Those who negate these efforts are not acting in the best interests of gunowners but more in the interests of the well financed anti-gun lobby, Obama and the Democratic leadership.

The more members in the NRA (and GOAL), the more power they have to lobby for our RKBA. It's in all our interests to get as many gun owners to join rather than be divisive.

Those who think the NRA is not doing enough are not subscribing and reading the NRA monthly magazine "First Freedom" or subscribing to the free e-mail alerts and newsletter at:
http://www.nraila.org/

The GOA pushed Heller,the NRA came in late when it looked promising. I'm not saying they don't do good all I'm saying is blind obedience begets arrogance on their part.All pro gun groups contribute,the NRA is not the only option.

The GOA pushed Heller,the NRA came in late when it looked promising. I'm not saying they don't do good all I'm saying is blind obedience begets arrogance on their part.All pro gun groups contribute,the NRA is not the only option.

No one has said that. Just remember, these argurments always start from someone criticizing the NRA and accusing them of just about everything from compromise to only seeking money for their own purposes. The arguement never starts from someone from the NRA putting down other groups.

No one has said that. Just remember, these argurments always start from someone criticizing the NRA and accusing them of just about everything from compromise to only seeking money for their own purposes. The arguement never starts from someone from the NRA putting down other groups.

And I never said either of those two particular criticisms of the NRA. However, it's perfectly valid to criticize them if they're asking for more money. The message I'm getting here is that any form of dissent somehow makes a Brady campaign member.

And I never said either of those two particular criticisms of the NRA. However, it's perfectly valid to criticize them if they're asking for more money. The message I'm getting here is that any form of dissent somehow makes a Brady campaign member.

Did you start the arguement or did you just chime in?

And if it okay to criticize them for asking for more money, isn't it just as okay to criticize you for complaining about it?

Any imaginary message you may want to attribute to our rebuttals of your complaints is your problem, not ours.

"Or it it gets the hose again."

That is one jack nasty video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrwDFgEeFCE

Why doesn't this code work here ?
[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HrwDFgEeFCE[/YOUTUBE]

[laugh2] It puts the lotion on its skin...

BTW: the NRA was instrumental in FOPA being passed in 1986.

DO a google search on McClure Volkmer Firearm owner protection act and include NRA in the search.

They gave away Machine guns for bolt action Milsurps. How stupid is that ?

Last edited:
You can post stupid shit like that but I got my thread closed and jumped on for asking a sincere question to receive opinions and a real "why"

most of you werent even thought of when the 34 act went in.it was either support the machine gun tax or ban hand guns.the NRA took the MG route as
the bill was a commerce bill.
the NRA is not a political org.as it cant be.it is a non profit org and would lose its tax statis if it was political.so the ILA is the political arm.your does pas for training programs and education and record keeping.
GOAL is the state branch of the NRA.and most of the NRA trashing comes from the GOA.they are "no comprimise"
the NRA and Second amendment foundation work together.who sued San francisco /seattle/new orleans/and chicago.GOA is no where to be found.
YOU HAVE NOT DONE YOUR PART.what have you done for gun owners in Mass.1,700,000 gun owners in 1997.260,000 in 2008. where did they go.
the first number was more than all voters in mass elections.
where are the school rifle teams,there were many schools and even church groups/legions and others.I was in a school rifle club and we were among the top 3 teams in the united states. dont blame the NRA put it where it belongs YOU,and YOU.I was there in the 30s.endowment NRA member and life GOAL.

I disagree the NRA is political just because they are "non-profit" does not mean that they don't play politics. Politicians look to them for support and vice versa...I will be a member of the NRA and GOA, as well as others... simply because I don't want my 2A taken from me..

The problem with the NRA that I have had is the last time I paid for a membership 5 years ago I go my card, hat, sticker, magazine, and 13 letters in the mail (over the next 11 months) to either renew or join. Gee where did my $25 bucks go. Back to me in junk mail!

Each year I sent the NRA an email asking if they had changed anything in regards to this and never got a response. I even asked GOAL for a contact at the NRA (which I got) again never a response. GOAL has always responded to me on any topic, thats why I took advantage of a life membership.

This year I took a free membership and lo and behold no junk mail. No surveys, no renewals, no credit card offers, nothing. It will be interesting to see what happens when I renew and actually pay.

I have to make dispute with the premise that without the NRA alot of things would be different. I believe that they just happened to be the first kid on the block. Where there is necessity, something will fill the void. If the NRA disappeared tomorrow, someone else would come fill that void as well. I think alot of the faulty thinking is that they are the 800# gorilla in the room and they are most effective (both legit) but that a change to something else will be a step back. This is the same asinine thinking that keeps Kennedy in office because he has seniority and brings money to the state.

Many people (especially here) stand by the old "vote with your feet" principle. That same principle applies here. Vote with your feet and to to GOA. Let the NRA know why. After all I've outlined here, if you still advocate the NRA as the principle protector of our 2A rights, I really have to question your intelligence.

I'm a member of GOAL and an NRA life member. I think the NRA has written off Ma. as a lost cause and until we can vote in some pro gun people, that's not likely to change. I try but I only have 1 vote. Don't give up. We need all the help we can get.

After all I've outlined here, if you still advocate the NRA as the principle protector of our 2A rights, I really have to question your intelligence.

WOW!

What an intelligent and convincing arguement! I never thought of such a strong set of facts to make your point. [/SARCASM]

I guess this will now bring this thread to an end.

NRA

its obviusly that some are ignorent or uninformed of what the NRA is and is not.it was started in 1873 to activate rifle shooting do to the poor shooting of the yankee troops in the civil war.it is the national records keeping org and recognized by the congress as such.it is not a political org.only the ILA is the political branch.
Now since 1873 there has been no other org that covers this area,where do you think one will come from.give me numbers of the org that are here now.
GOA=
SAF=
JFPF=
NRA= 4 mill.
attitudes like some posters are why you have the problems you have.no matter what the NRA does you wont be satisfied.
codenamepaul:when have you gone to the statehouse hearings.I have spent all day there many times,every yr from the first,untill I could no longer go..

Here is a little project for all the NRA and GOAL complainers out there, take a piece of paper and write down all the things you do for the 2nd Amendment. AND NO, posting on NES or paying a small donation fee each year does not count, I bet most people couldn't fill a post-it.

Things seem to have quited down here so I guess it's time to pull out the ole soapbox. I have to post this about once every six months to help educate those who only want to complain.

[soapbox]

Every gun-owner in the United States who enjoys owning and shooting his/her firearms and wants to continue enjoying this freedom needs to belong to at least three different organizations.

1. National: Many anti-firearm initiatives are started at the national level. It takes a dedicated, organized, and recognized body to combat these issues in the places where they begin and are decided. The NRA is without a doubt the premier national organization defending our rights on the national stage. The NRA is not always perfect or successful but they still have more stature than anyone else. Can you name another national gun-rights organization that has the NRA's experience in legal issues, firearms training, and shooting sports organization under one roof? You may discount the last two but they add to the NRA's base of expertise in many ways that other groups cannot match.

There are other national organizations to be sure. GOA, SAF, CCRKBA, JPFO, and the Pink Pistols to mention just a few. And they do add to the national effort. But when the anti-gun forces seek to demonize gun owners, which organization do they pick on? It doesn't take much debate to see who the anti-gunners fear most.

2. State: Just as the NRA works at the national level (and below) just about every state has its own organization which seeks to unite firearms owners to provide a unified response to state anti-gun efforts. If you are fortunate, your state organization seeks to unite legal efforts, sporting and hunting groups, and competitive shooters under one strong banner and provide a united front to protect all of us. When the gun banners fail at the national level they often try to go state-by-state to press their agenda. This is where a strong state voice can help blunt these efforts. In Massachusetts its GOAL. Massachusetts gun owners who fail to join and support GOAL's efforts are harming themselves and other law-abiding gun owners.

3. Local: The late Massachusetts Congressman Tip O'Neil was often quoted as saying, "All politics is local.". This is as true in the continuing fight to retain our freedom to own firearms as in anything else. The support I am referring to here is joining your local range or shooting club and insuring that they provide a strong voice to oppose local efforts to block firearms ownership or limit areas where you can can shoot or hunt. Providing a strong voice at the local level lets politicians and anti-gun groups know that we have strong grass-roots support for pro-gun rights and that we are not going to let them push their agenda here.

It takes time, effort, and often times financial support to get out there and join the fight against the anti-gun forces. And unfortunately, most of us except for the most dedicated amongst us could certainly do more in this fight. Vote responsibly. Write to your elected officials and your local papers. Take action to support your pro-gun organizations. Join them and be counted.

And remember, if you don't think you have enough time or money to do this now, think of how much of both you will have if your guns are taken away and there are no places you can go to shoot.

So get out there, join, and make a difference.

[/soapbox]

I do

Frosty,

your last paragraph needs to be read by those who are gun owners
pistol and rifle, hunting and sports, and realize once it gone, its gone.
If your not a member of at least 2 of these, better get going.

It will not be easy to reverse those decisions. It will take years to do so.

JimB

Here is a little project for all the NRA and GOAL complainers out there, take a piece of paper and write down all the things you do for the 2nd Amendment. AND NO, posting on NES or paying a small donation fee each year does not count, I bet most people couldn't fill a post-it.

Since I complained about the NRA, and will continue to do so until I see a change in them, I'll list what I've done. (I've had my LTC for 1.5 years for reference)

- member of both the NRA and GOAL and will continue to be so.
- contributed $ to GOAL beyond my membership dues (mostly in the form of raffle tickets but otherwise as well)
- Started an initiative to convince MA FFLs to both hand out a GOAL application to every purchaser of a firearm as well as talk up GOAL a bit to those purchasers. ChetD, GSG, Terraformer, Mrs. Magnum and others have helped out a ton here.
- Convinced at least 4 people, in person, to join GOAL.
- phoned and emailed state legislators at least 10 times over the last year.

None of this constitutes a huge contribution but I like to think it's something and helps.

Back
Top Bottom