The NRA What do you think?

Yes I am a member of the NRA they will protect the 2nd Amendment....right. I have heard mixed opinions about the NRA recently and I want to know what you think. Are they Negotiating Rights Away? Has bargaining with the Government and Politicians chipped away at our 2nd Amendment so much that it has become more vulnerable because of time being bought by them....Share your thoughts...Please.

While there are more aggressive organizations out there, I say it is better to have the NRA than not. Some may disagree on their tactics and actions (or lack of them), but in my opinion, the more legislative 2A pressure there is on the .gov establishment, the better.

I'm a card carrying member.

Do some research on line about the NRA. It's one of the most successful, if not THE most successful lobbying group in Washington, D.C. Support of the NRA is extrememly iimportant for all shooters, even if you don't agree with EVERY position they take.

Being a shooter or a gun owner without being a member of the NRA weakens all our firearm rights, and contributes to the constant push by anti gunners who think they have the numbers to beat us.

Do some research on line about the NRA. It's one of the most successful, if not THE most successful lobbying group in Washington, D.C. Support of the NRA is extrememly iimportant for all shooters, even if you don't agree with EVERY position they take.

Being a shooter or a gun owner without being a member of the NRA weakens all our firearm rights, and contributes to the constant push by anti gunners who think they have the numbers to beat us.

I am aware of that, so where do you think the bad publicity from pro gun people is coming from...why?

I am aware of that, so where do you think the bad publicity from pro gun people is coming from...why?

the bad publicity comes from some of the idiots who call themselves pro second amendment, but then believe the NRA shouldn't bother with defending the right to own those evil semi automatics, because if the NRA just lets the antigun movement have that, they will be satisfied, they'll stop, and leave their expensive shotguns and hunting rifles alone.

Those morons are the ones who can't grasp the whole concept of united we stand. Either we own guns and are all on the same side, or we get divided, and they'll get the semi autos banned, and then the handguns will be next, and then the shotguns will be left, so then it's time for them, all the way back until we are probably all left with blackpowder.

From what I have seen at gun shows and the Out Door show, most of the people that have a problem with the NRA are the Fudds. The same people who won't back GOAL.

I can never get a real answer form them when I inquire why, but many of them think that there is no need for rifles like ARs or Aks and handguns. They have the mind set that shotguns are the only guns a person needs and because they have not be banned or attacked yet they don't need to do anything or be proactive.

Its a ridiculous argument but thats really how they feel. I have tried to reason with them,they are stubborn, but I never give up.

If you want to see some real hard core, in your face, pro-gun information, check out Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.

This is what a lot of NON-FUDDS think the NRA should be. Some of the criticism comes from people like me who wish the NRA would push harder and draw a line in the sand sooner.

www.jpfo.org

Other non NRA supporters get bent out of shape because the NRA doesn't seem to do much legislative work in New England. The fact is, New England, especially Massachusetts, is so full of moonbats and anti-gunners that it is a waste of recourses to try and fight the politicians. The NRA does contribute and support clubs, training and education throughout New England, but there are those who want more for their $30 a year. They want miracles, and don't know why they can't have it. Ignore them and the Fudds.

Much of it comes from other organizations who want to be the lead dog. Or from people who don't understand that the NRA does not make law, it can only lobby for our interests, often in the face of very well funded and (at least semi-) organized opposition to our gun rights.

Many of the organizations others push are somewhat more vocal, but not really as effective as they would like to think.

When a politician talks they mention that they will not bow to the NRA etc, etc. You never hear them mention the other organisations!

Join them all, become a voting member and vote for representation in the NRA that represents your views. Don't just expect them to do it all be proactive and write letters, email, donate to the ILA etc!!

I believe the NRA is a good thing. I am aware they work in a political environment, and, as such, must "play the game" in order to do what they do.

Often organzations like the NRA and GOAL are looked at what they don't do, rather than what they have done and are trying to do. It is like anything else, you can look for what is good or you can look for what is bad and both will be present - much like people themselves.

The political environment is a controlling environment and takes a remarkable focus to stay positive and moving forward.

If you want to see some real hard core, in your face, pro-gun information, check out Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.

This is what a lot of NON-FUDDS think the NRA should be. Some of the criticism comes from people like me who wish the NRA would push harder and draw a line in the sand sooner.

www.jpfo.org

Other non NRA supporters get bent out of shape because the NRA doesn't seem to do much legislative work in New England. The fact is, New England, especially Massachusetts, is so full of moonbats and anti-gunners that it is a waste of recourses to try and fight the politicians. The NRA does contribute and support clubs, training and education throughout New England, but there are those who want more for their $30 a year. They want miracles, and don't know why they can't have it. Ignore them and the Fudds.
You just opened up a whole other topic for me...,but I'm not going to touch it....I will check it out first..I wouldn't want to be accused of trolling.

This topic has been beaten to death, but I'll chime in anyway.

Gun Owners of America (GOA) and JPFO are definitely "ideal" gun-rights organization in my opinion. The NRA compromises way too much so they've got a bum rap. They're inundated with the "Fudds" as Mrs. Magnum and depicts have mentioned. Which is unfortunate since they boast nearly 8 million members (IIRC) which is much greater than GOA and JPFO. This probably explains that the antis and gun-grabbers set their sights (oh, the irony) on the NRA since they're the 800-pound gorilla.

The NRA endorsed John McCain in 2008 for POTUS. So that should explain a lot right there.

I've compared the NRA to the present-day Republican party: Both need to do a lot of housekeeping.

I have shooting friends who think the NRA is too radical and aggressive and others who think that the NRA is way too wishy washy. The NRA is a powerful lobbying group and does a lot of good. I am a life member, I am also a life member of GOAL and Gun Owners of America and a member of JFPFO. I support all of them as much as I can. I want to keep my 2nd Amendment rights. I allot a portion of my shooting budget to support these organizations. I always try to do whatever action items these groups request, like writing letters or postcards to elected officials. Most importantly these groups need more members and more money. I huck my Fudd friends until they join, even if it is only to shut me up. As shooters we should all set a little aside when we can to support our group of choice. That new gun or supply of ammo won't mean squat if you cannot use them.

Most of the negative I hear about the NRA is from people who think they are too wishy washy. A lot of us wanted them to support a Heller-like case and they wouldn't. Hell, they actively discouraged Heller.

After thinking about it I can actually see their point. Imagine if the courts had ruled that the 2nd amendment was not an individual right but a collective one for militia only? It would have been a disaster.

My main bitch about the NRA is that their PR department doesn't do a very good job.

Support them. They are on our side and they are very effective for the most part.

You just opened up a whole other topic for me...,but I'm not going to touch it....I will check it out first..I wouldn't want to be accused of trolling.

Too late! It's been spoken of and advanced that you are in fact a troll.

You come in here with only a dozen posts and ask direct and complicated questions at the very core of our beliefs, as if this was some kind of forum to help new shooters, or something like that.

A better approach in here is to reach out with the positive aspects of your position, and see how many views we share, and where we disagree. If you're trolling, you want quick answers. If you're for real, and want to become more knowledgeable, be patient, persistent and honest.

P.S. Why are you doll parts?Just curious, are you a girlie-girl or do you just like dissecting dolls?

I'm not up to speed on the current controversy - so what is a Fudd?

from the acronym dictionary:

Fear Uncertainty Doubt and Disinformation

from the urban dictionary:

1. Fudd
Slang term for a "casual" gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called "non sporting" firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.
"See sonny, all those pistols in that cabinet... all thems is good for is killin people." -Example of ignorant comment from a fudd at a local gun shop. See also: Zumbo.

You come in here with only a dozen posts and ask direct and complicated questions at the very core of our beliefs, as if this was some kind of forum to help new shooters, or something like that.

A better approach in here is to reach out with the positive aspects of your position, and see how many views we share, and where we disagree. If you're trolling, you want quick answers. If you're for real, and want to become more knowledgeable, be patient, persistent and honest.

P.S. Why are you doll parts?Just curious, are you a girlie-girl or do you just like dissecting dolls?

I know it has that why I sarcasticly said what I said. I have not even written a dozen post so I don't know what your talking about I just joined and I am sorry if my questions are complicated for you...you seem intelligent so I don't know why you find them complicated. I thought a forum was for opinions being expressed, to gain knowledge, to debate, get advice which is what I came in here for and to meet other shooters instead I walk into a crucafixtion. So if I made the name 45calgal or something like that I wouldn't have gotten any shit?,oh and that word brings to mind that maybe I ahould of asked how you do that while carrying concealed that would of been an awesome post to you right i should see if you replied to that question on here. I was already drilled by "fingers" if you know the movie then you know who I'm talking about...so leave me alone actually I will leave this group ok..thats why they call you guys Ma**h***S!

NRA is a huge reason why we still have our rights to have guns. I do agree about less work in the NE area and MA but thankfully we have GOAL to help us. Without GOAL I do believe I would have moved from this state long ago. Please keep your memberships current and keep contacting your local officials on a regular basis to show them their voters will not tolerate anti-gun legislation.

What do u care about my name.. Look at yours...So does a girlie girl with a gun turn you on or scare you?

DallParts, don't leave the crucifixion so quickly. It looks like we're just getting to the good parts. btw, your name neither turns me on or scares me. I just find it interesting when a new person posts on the board and asks a question with a negative slant like your first post in this thread.

The answer is complicated because there are many facets to the relationship of the NRA to shooters, especially the shooters here on NES.

We're very used to short tempered, overly ambitious dissections of how we think. When I sense someone is picking my brain to gain an advantage in a philosophical debate, I like to know what the ground rules are. So I ask if you're a girlie girl because that would explain to me why DollParts rang for you as a handle. If you're not a woman, then it's just odd. (Although I did know a guy who ran a doll hospital)

If you're here for serious information, you're at the right place. Once we get over this cat scratching introduction to each other, we'll probably even become friends. You see I strongly support a womans right to defend herself. Anyones right to defend themselves. It's just that you hit a few buzzwords that made my "Spidey Senses" tingle.

Your approach seemed to be leading to a bashing of the NRA. IF that's not your goal, keep talking. Most of us here respect honest differences of opinion, if a person presents them with directness and honesty.

Welcome to the forum DollParts. Don't run away. Stay with us and slake your thirst for knowledge.

Whats wrong with her questions, or are you being sarcastic? Her position has neither positive or negative aspects, it is simply an opinion. One which many here share BTW.

Back
Top Bottom