Think before you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one that live near NOT Tom that has Pay Pal? I want to make a contribution but between work and getting my house ready for sale I don't have time. I've never met NOT Tom but from what I have seen the time he spends on GB to save us a few bucks I am more than willing to drop some of my hard earned cash his way. Its my way of saying F*(& you .gov and helping a fellow NESR

Please PM if you can accept PP and get the cash to NOT Tom.

My attorney informed me that some things have already started to roll in.

Thanks to everyone, and at some point down the line, the favor will be returned. NES is awesome, and I am glad that I am part of this site.

You paid it forward with all the effort you've put into making NES a better community. No further return needed or expected.

****, now I'm disappointed I missed the cookout-that-turned-into-a-tavern-party get-together. Now I'll never have a chance to meet Not Tom before he gets locked up.

Kidding, don't neg me bro!

Im sending my donation not on grounds of personal friendship, nor reputations on the forum. Im donating because we're all in this community together. Im donating because id be absolutely greatful for somebody else to do the same for me. Small donations by many can make a great impact for someone.

Its very unfortunate for this to happen to anyone. Goodluck Not Tom. Im truely sorry you have to go through this. Stay strong brother.

Derek

****, now I'm disappointed I missed the cookout-that-turned-into-a-tavern-party get-together. Now I'll never have a chance to meet Not Tom before he gets locked up.

Kidding, don't neg me bro!

you missed a good time

images

Cross posting here and on another thread about the ntomsw karmas.

Many people have asked about using PayPal for donations to ntomsw's legal fund. Unfortunately this is not advisable.

Legal defense funds are treated the same as retainers and other advance payments. These funds belong to the client and the attorney holding these funds is acting as a trustee. While some states around the U.S. have modified their attorney professional conduct rules to allow for advance payments via credit card or PayPal, Massachusetts has not directly addressed the issue, and the Office of Bar Counsel strongly discourages the practice. There are many reasons why this would not be advisable.

1. Rule 1.15 of the MA Rules of Professional Conduct requires that attorneys who hold client funds for work to be performed must, among other things, deposit the funds into an interest-bearing bank account. Subject to certain accounting requirements, for small amounts to be held short-term, attorneys may deposit funds from multiple clients into a single account. However, when the amount is not nominal or short-term, a separate bank account for that particular client must be opened and the account must be located in the Commonwealth. A question thus arises whether an attorney violates this rule by holding client funds, even temporarily, in a PayPal account which is not interest-bearing nor located in Massachusetts.

2. Payments made by both credit card and PayPal are subject to chargeback. That is, the person making the payment can dispute the payment with their credit card or PayPal and those entities may withdraw the funds from the attorney's account. This could be particularly problematic with a client trust account. For example, assume that an attorney successfully completes a case and withdraws all of the advanced funds as payment for her fees. Should the client later dispute the payment, PayPal could withdraw the disputed funds from the attorney's trust account. Since the attorney had already withdrawn that particular client's funds, the funds PayPal withdraws would be funds of other clients held in the same account. In this circumstance, the attorney may be deemed to have breached their obligations to protect those clients funds.

3. The PayPal User Agreement states that they may “close, suspend, or limit your access to your Account” if, in their “sole discretion, [they] believe[] that you may have engaged in any Restricted Activities.” Should PayPal get suspicious about a large number of incoming deposits, they may put a hold on the account while the investigate. An attorney may be in violation of the rules of conduct if they are unable to access or deposit client funds during this investigation.

4. Payments via PayPal for services are subject to fees that the seller (the attorney in this case) would pay. PayPal fees are are currently 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction. If 100 people give $20 each, the $2,000 in payments would incur $88 in fees. Some may argue that these payments should be considered a gift, and thus exempt from fees. See number 3.

While PayPal may be a convenient way to transfer money in certain circumstances, it is not a good, nor advisable option for a legal defense fund here in Massachusetts.

Re: the title of this thread "think before you post"

IMO, it's good practice to only post something on the internet that you would be ok with your mother, spouse, children, co-workers, and friends seeing. Most of this forum is completely open to the internet and searchable by google. The members section isn't searchable but I wouldn't treat that area as any more secure or private than the public forum.

While we all use handles, it's not hard to match a handle to a real name. Many people on here know many other people's real names. A relatively simple computer algorithm could probably piece together your real name and pull up everything you've ever written on any forum in the past 15 years. 4 weeks ago many might have called that paranoid, but I think the recent news has many more people understanding that this can and does happen. My handle is like my $10 bike lock - somewhat easily bypassed but it prevents my posts from coming up with a casual Google search of my real name.

The internet tends to bring out the worst in people when they believe they can act anonymously. You're only really anonymous as long as nobody cares enough to find out who you are. So treat everything you post as if it's signed with your real name, address, and phone number.

Didn't you have a birthday cake at the meet and greet in Braintree that minininjer organized?
I didn't get a piece...............just sayin' [thinking]

(Will send a check on payday.)

Those were small cakes. I didn't even get a piece. [laugh]

I didn't know you were there, I never met you. Thanks for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom