Vehicle Undercoating

Leave it to doorman to make some pretty cheap bandaids. This thing is thin and just sits on top of what ever is left of the mount.
Have to do some reinforcing on the front edge.
Im not a great welder and we have a economy welder, this doorman repair patch is designed to just sit on what ever is left of the original mount no weld design. I needed to build up the front portion that was missing completely.
Lucky to have a few scraps of 3/16 laying around. GoodEnuff for this POS.
What customer wanted

Attachments

• EF9BF6A8-4EAB-45A9-9A79-B083BAE76CB6.jpeg
    EF9BF6A8-4EAB-45A9-9A79-B083BAE76CB6.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 46
  • B4C08E51-AC1E-4247-AC41-883123F025AD.jpeg
    B4C08E51-AC1E-4247-AC41-883123F025AD.jpeg
    579.7 KB · Views: 46
Noob question about oil coating- is it helpful even on a truck that has seen a few New England winters? Will the treat help address surface rust?

Noob question about oil coating- is it helpful even on a truck that has seen a few New England winters? Will the treat help address surface rust?
There are companies that will descale and apply a converter before applying oil/wax. I would call NH oil undercoating and see if they can recommend someone in your area

From my understanding the undercoating will "arrest" the rust. I have the NHOU on my truck. The sooner you get that on the better.

hqdefault.jpg

It’s not the same stuff by at least a mile. I’m a solid Woolwax believer but I’m now repeating myself.

Oh I just like posting hte Rusty Jones logo every time. I think I heard that commercial about 5 billion times between 79 and 84 or so. Then it disappeared. I guess it was hello rusty car, goodbye Rusty Joooonnes.

Is that like POR-15?
no, POR is a coating to prevent rust from spreading, it works well but it is more of a paint, NH Oil Undercoat is oil based rust prevention that needs to be reapplied annually for the oil or every other for the wax, rust conversion is done with stuff like phosphoric acid, rustmort is a brand of converter that turns stuff black, Eastwood has similar product

Oh I just like posting hte Rusty Jones logo every time. I think I heard that commercial about 5 billion times between 79 and 84 or so. Then it disappeared. I guess it was hello rusty car, goodbye Rusty Joooonnes.

He moved on to another automtive racket:

Extended warranties.

You need to clean the beejeez out of it, get all the salt off, remove loose rust and get someone who will have the equipment and take the time to get into the places you cant see.
I get trucks in all the time that you can tell they did not bother to pull the wheels/plastic covers and no attempt to get down into the frame rails

Just had Woolwax applied to the new Pathfinder yesterday. I went to Fred's Auto in Hudson, N.H.
$160 well spent.

The only thing I'll add is that the first couple of times you apply the brakes, you need to be aware and leave more stopping distance before the overspray burns off the discs and pads.

Just had Woolwax applied to the new Pathfinder yesterday. I went to Fred's Auto in Hudson, N.H.
$160 well spent.

The only thing I'll add is that the first couple of times you apply the brakes, you need to be aware and leave more stopping distance before the overspray burns off the discs and pads.
There should be zero over spray on the brakes, should have pulled wheels and covered with plastic
$160 bucks they did a spray what you see application.
To me a good job would require
Pulling wheels, covering brakes and anything else that should not get “oiled”
Drop spare if have one, pull out fender wells if applicable . Possibly pull the bumpers to get deep into the frame rails if you dont have good access or good applicator tips. The rot comes from where you cant see.
Did they do any of the body panels?

I'll crawl underneath and get a good look later.
They did not remove wheels or spare, nor did they remove fender liners.

Honestly I'm o.k. with them not taking apart the car.
You should not be OK with "not taking the car apart" unless it's a complicated car. My 2500 was pressure washed and allowed to dry, moved into the shop where the wheels, wheel liners and tail lights removed then it was applied everywhere and put back together. Wife's Acura did not get the front wheel wells pulled but the rears were. He told me right up front it was too much to take apart but it porked it as best he could. He's a serious gun gun guy who owns the shop and I trust him.
They are both still an oily slimy dirty mess underneath and they are staying that way.

You should not be OK with "not taking the car apart" unless it's a complicated car. My 2500 was pressure washed and allowed to dry, moved into the shop where the wheels, wheel liners and tail lights removed then it was applied everywhere and put back together. Wife's Acura did not get the front wheel wells pulled but the rears were. He told me right up front it was too much to take apart but it porked it as best he could. He's a serious gun gun guy who owns the shop and I trust him.
They are both still an oily slimy dirty mess underneath and they are staying that way.
I'm with you.

Back
Top Bottom