What did you do in the reloading room recently?

If I didn’t JUST get 500 Xtreme bullefs recently I’d buy some Zeros. I got plenty and don’t want to hoard if others need them. If anything I may get 500…must…resist

@whacko @meh and anyone interested, the 44 cal Zero 240 gr JSPs are back in stock!!! Been at least 3 years
It's a good thing I didn't need any because they seem to be sold out again. I got tired of waiting and canceled my backorder about 11 months back. I stocked up on 240 grain XTPs instead, at about 80% higher cost, of course.

Slowly but surely dialing everything in for 308. Set up the seating die this morning after work. Wasn’t paying attention and did this. Had to laugh. Only other time I did this was when I first started out 12 or 13 years ago….

082F96B9-B31A-4F16-8377-6A6AF8ABE08E.jpeg

Hopefully I’ll have the time tomorrow to get the powder measure dialed. Then I’ll be able to load a few for testing

Last edited:
Slowly but surely dialing everything in for 308. Set up the seating die this morning after work. Wasn’t paying attention and did this. Had to laugh. Only other time I did this was when I first started out 12 or 13 years ago….

View attachment 654158

Hopefully I’ll have the time tomorrow to get the powder measure dialed tomorrow. Then I’ll be able to load a few for testing
all fun, all good.
i pumped out 200 of .308 in 45.4gr varget and 168smk this evening. hopefully will get out on friday to shoot some of it, unless it will rain too much.

was doing random checks along the batch - seems like this measure drops from 45.1 to 45.5, but mostly around 45.3, that works ok for me.

View attachment 654158

Hopefully I’ll have the time tomorrow to get the powder measure dialed. Then I’ll be able to load a few for testing

You see a mistake.
I see a new type of Sabot round.

ordered a few things from MidSouth.. powder measure stand (tired of pulling each casing out indvidually to load). Hoping to keep them all in the tray and load them like that... and the lock-n-Load auto primer feeder. Hoping this is easier than the hand held one..

also grabbed an extra tray and a couple of 38/357 ammo boxes.

I never even thought of doing that. Little bit more risk of squib or double charge, I think, but it should be caught in the visual inspection one needs to do either way. I might give it a try.
yes.. I do a visual of the tray to scan for outliers that look over/underfilled when doing it one at a time.

Love those short stubby cases lol
Me too their so cute.
how many shots you manage to get from those brass pieces in average there until primer pocket and base of the brass expands out?
I’m on my 5th firing and no signs of pockets loosening up yet. I’ve read of guys running these BR cases 15-20 firings. I will be happy with 10 as that’ll probably burn this barrel.

Replaced the typical 4 bulb fluorescent shop light over my bench with LED shop light claiming 12,000 lumens @5000K....WOW !!!!!

I did not realize how much I was not seeing....my bench is filthy....needs a good cleaning 😉

Seriously, this thing is so bright I am going to get rid of the little "press lights" that i have added to help me look inside cases for powder check.

Replaced the typical 4 bulb fluorescent shop light over my bench with LED shop light claiming 12,000 lumens @5000K....WOW !!!!!

I did not realize how much I was not seeing....my bench is filthy....needs a good cleaning 😉

Seriously, this thing is so bright I am going to get rid of the little "press lights" that i have added to help me look inside cases for powder check.
🤣 I remember I had the same reaction when I upgraded from fluorescent to LED over my bench

A reloading vendor had 100 cases of 7.5x55 Swiss brass last week so I scooped them up.
But some have silver primers and most are gold. I’m 99% sure PPU never used silver colored primers, always gold/brass colored?

I think those have been reloaded before so I may set those aside in my 2-3X fired brass pile.

0EF58F91-01D6-45EB-8F5F-1184D1F13035.jpeg

Had some 7.7x58 cases mixed in too. Glad I sorted them 😂
1AFCEF2B-512A-49BF-B0A1-3BF9DADAF707.jpeg

A reloading vendor had 100 cases of 7.5x55 Swiss brass last week so I scooped them up.
But some have silver primers and most are gold. I’m 99% sure PPU never used silver colored primers, always gold/brass colored?

I think those have been reloaded before so I may set those aside in my 2-3X fired brass pile.

View attachment 655825

View attachment 655826
The gloves stuff above really makes me think every time - how much of a nitroglycerin is there on shot cases?
I have box of gloves nearby always but always forget using them.

View attachment 655825

View attachment 655826

Every PPU rifle round I've seen uses a brass colored primer (at least the milsurp stuff...I've shot tons of it). I have some PPU 357 mag that has silver primers, for what that's worth.

ordered a few things from MidSouth.. powder measure stand (tired of pulling each casing out indvidually to load). Hoping to keep them all in the tray and load them like that... and the lock-n-Load auto primer feeder. Hoping this is easier than the hand held one..

also grabbed an extra tray and a couple of 38/357 ammo boxes.
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but it sounds like we may be. I put 50 cases in the RCBS tray and using the powder measure stand, I load them all up with powder. I throw a few charges first to measure and make sure it's where I need it, then I start loading up the cases. I stop every 15 or 20 just to measure a charge to make sure nothing changed, then continue on. Once they're all filled with powder, I take a look inside the cases, then start seating bullets.

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but it sounds like we may be. I put 50 cases in the RCBS tray and using the powder measure stand, I load them all up with powder. I throw a few charges first to measure and make sure it's where I need it, then I start loading up the cases. I stop every 15 or 20 just to measure a charge to make sure nothing changed, then continue on. Once they're all filled with powder, I take a look inside the cases, then start seating bullets.
yeah.. exactly what I mean.. I have a single stage press...been at it for a couple of years now.. that's exactly what I do now.. measure a few dumps.. load 10-20, measure to check, then finish the tray.. pulling each case in and out of the tray and into the press multiple times.. Between the powder measure stand, the auto priming tool attachment, hoping to streamline just a little bit.. Maybe I can expand and prime in one press step, then powder load in the tray.. then just pull from the tray to seat the bullets

I have no problem loading 50 at a time..

yeah.. exactly what I mean.. I have a single stage press...been at it for a couple of years now.. that's exactly what I do now.. measure a few dumps.. load 10-20, measure to check, then finish the tray.. pulling each case in and out of the tray and into the press multiple times.. Between the powder measure stand, the auto priming tool attachment, hoping to streamline just a little bit.. Maybe I can expand and prime in one press step, then powder load in the tray.. then just pull from the tray to seat the bullets

I have no problem loading 50 at a time..
I kind of decided not to try it for myself when I remembered how clumsy I can be. I got this vision of a dropped tray, 50 cases, and powder everywhere.

It's really not that bad for me, anyway. My procedures make it pretty painless by the time I get around to charging. I have dirty dies I use to resize and deprime before wet tumbling (this is straight-walled handgun brass we're talking about). I flare the cleaned cases at my leisure and store large quantities of cases that are resized and flared, ready to prime. When I get ready to load, I pull from these bins and hand prime them. They don't go into the tray yet, just get pulled from one bin, primed, and dropped into another bin. I pull them from there, charge them, and then put in the tray for the first time. Even then, I can remember tiny disasters from dropping a bullet while placing bullets on top of the charged cases in the tray. This is often enough to jostle some powder out, and then I'm in the position of needing to dump and repeat the charges on any cases that don't have bullets on them. After a couple of times, I try not to do that anymore.

Back
Top Bottom