What did you do in the reloading room recently?

It can be used in many handgun calibers and cast bullet rifle loads but doesn't meter well.
Kind of raises the question, though, about the relative effects of small charge weight variations versus the effects of position sensitivity. Sounds like the fact that Unique doesn't meter well might not matter as much as the position sensitivity of less case-filling powders.

Pardon my ignorance, when one says a powder does or doesn’t meter well, what are they referring to?
I have me assumptions, but those are often incorrect.

Edit-

Also, I scored some Federal magnum LPPs at Bass Pro. Too much money ($100), but cheaper than what’s in the classifieds at least.
What in the pogo stick riding Jesus is going on with the packaging?!? I thought the nice fella pulled out a pack of 5,000 or something. I think I know where the extra money went.
(2,000 Remington LPPs for scale).

67DEA4C0-A295-42E1-A434-D294E8563F6B.jpeg

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, when one says a powder does or doesn’t meter well, what are they referring to?
Doesn’t flow through the powder measure easily. So you can have relatively large variations in your powder drops.
Only powder I use that is problematic in my Hornady powder measure is IMR-4064. It’s a coarse stick powder so it binds up. But it works well in the cheap Lee perfect powder measure.

Doesn’t flow through the powder measure easily. So you can have relatively large variations in your powder drops.
Only powder I use that is problematic in my Hornady powder measure is IMR-4064. It’s a coarse stick powder so it binds up. But it works well in the cheap Lee perfect powder measure.
Interesting, that’s what I thought but since I’m scooping it all by hand the metering well didn’t immediately click for me. Thanks for the explanation.

IMR 3031, same. Stick powder, doesn't really work that well in my Dillon 550 or my RCBS Uniflow. I just use Lee scoops and an RCBS trickler for 223. Takes me forever but it slows down how fast I go through bullets so it's fine.

Edit-

Also, I scored some Federal magnum LPPs at Bass Pro. Too much money ($100), but cheaper than what’s in the classifieds at least.
What in the pogo stick riding Jesus is going on with the packaging?!? I thought the nice fella pulled out a pack of 5,000 or something. I think I know where the extra money went.
(2,000 Remington LPPs for scale).

View attachment 659625
Yeah, Federal's packaging is silly. I think I could fit 3 times as many CCI SPP in one Federal box.

Received my shipment of zero brand 240 grain 44 mag jsp. Great price.....now to get to the bench and load up a couple hundred.

I'll make some hot ones with h110.....but have some unique I can use......anyone use unique with 240 grain jacketed in 44 mag? I make 240 grain cast with 11 grains of unique and they are very mild.

Casting some 130 grain smooth side 9mm. bullet for my new CZ.
Ohhh Baby!! I remember those bad boys…. That looks like the beginning of the Spangler “Bad Ass Bronze” series of Bullets! I still have a few left in my secret stash!!

Attachments

• 2E86A7FA-06F5-469D-915B-3242A3E03AAA.jpeg
    2E86A7FA-06F5-469D-915B-3242A3E03AAA.jpeg
    681.7 KB · Views: 10
Ohhh Baby!! I remember those bad boys…. That looks like the beginning of the Spangler “Bad Ass Bronze” series of Bullets! I still have a few left in my secret stash!!
Oh yeah! Going to be the same coating. Maybe I’ll coat them up today. Thinning of a shorter bullet though for the lack of throat in the CZ.

Oh yeah! Going to be the same coating. Maybe I’ll coat them up today. Thinning of a shorter bullet though for the lack of throat in the CZ.
You need to ream that barrel… I had a buddy do both of mine…. It was the best thing I did… I wasn’t thrilled to be reloading my rounds really short… with what I use for bullets I needed the OAL to be about 1.070 - 1.085 otherwise it would not plunk consistently…. I highly recommend a little shaving of that throat….

Sweet. What CZ you get? If you do want to get it reamed I recommend sending it to Patriot defense. That’s where I sent one of my CZ barrels. If you sign up for his newsletter you get a 15% off coupon.

I loaded up some 44 mag over the last couple days using AA9 powder for the first time. And Xtreme plated 240 gr bullets. I was surprised how clean it burned and there was essentially no flash unlike H110. I was getting some weird extreme spreads in velocity which may be from the varying OAL and crimp. Plus old brass. Though my H110 loads were very consistent.

I only made 15 at two charge weights. I may need to play around with it more and ensure I have a consistent OAL and crimp.

All fired from the 14.5" desert eagle barrel

But the clean burn and lower recoil (but similar velocity to H110) has me liking it so far. It sure looks and smells just like H110

You need to ream that barrel… I had a buddy do both of mine…. It was the best thing I did… I wasn’t thrilled to be reloading my rounds really short… with what I use for bullets I needed the OAL to be about 1.070 - 1.085 otherwise it would not plunk consistently…. I highly recommend a little shaving of that throat….
Ahhh good idea. I had that done on my 1911 and it worked wonders. I figured I could load a little shorter and be fine.
Sweet. What CZ you get? If you do want to get it reamed I recommend sending it to Patriot defense. That’s where I sent one of my CZ barrels. If you sign up for his newsletter you get a 15% off coupon.
picked up a P-01 Omega. I feel like this thing is going to eat up a lot of money. Trigger kit is next. Then grips. Holster or two. Thinking of cerakote. You know exactly what I’m talking about.

I loaded up some 44 mag over the last couple days using AA9 powder for the first time. And Xtreme plated 240 gr bullets. I was surprised how clean it burned and there was essentially no flash unlike H110.

Well that sounds like a good reason not to use it right there. I mean it's 44 mag. That's kind of the point!

"No fireball. Thumbs down. One star. Do not recommend."

Last edited:
loaded some 455Webley for the Colt New Service. A 265 grain hollow base bullet ahead of 6 and 6.4 grains of Blue Dot. Both loads were mild and quite accurate. Especially for a gun that's so old, it went to England during WWI. It has someone's initials and the number 77 on the sideplate. I wonder if someone in the 77th Division (The Lost Battalion) got their hands on it. That would be pretty cool..

Back
Top Bottom