What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Haven’t tried the Zero/Roze bullets yet. Been burning through the Xtreme plated bullets.
I suspect I’ll have better results with the Zero bullets given they’re jacketed and better quality than the Xtremes. I’ll have to test both
Not to mention wider. Zeros are supposed to be .431" The plated bullets are supposed to be 0.429".

Nothing today, but the other day I spent my reloading session vacuuming up Winchester 231 off the basement floor. Apparently, the housing on my Lee Auto Drum was cracked so the spring powering the drum launched the entire unit off the press when I reached the top of the stroke, spilling a full hopper of powder 🤬

View attachment 661834

View attachment 661835
Was the die set too low?
It's a fine line between just enough flare and too much pressure on that casting.

Was able to sneak downstairs and work the lever for a couple hours this evening…. We Have upcoming steel matches every weekend for the next three weeks, need to be sure I have enough ammo loaded and ready to go… still hoping to get another couple hundred done tomorrow…

Attachments

• 58E3D344-BABF-49E4-A9B7-A4F3C50C2FB0.jpeg
    58E3D344-BABF-49E4-A9B7-A4F3C50C2FB0.jpeg
    558.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 4B75098E-5FF1-4054-AB65-F924222C3D37.jpeg
    4B75098E-5FF1-4054-AB65-F924222C3D37.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 15
Was able to sneak downstairs and work the lever for a couple hours this evening…. We Have upcoming steel matches every weekend for the next three weeks, need to be sure I have enough ammo loaded and ready to go… still hoping to get another couple hundred done tomorrow…
You should come to the casting seminar. You would benefit from it. $150 all in investment (skinflint level) and you’re making all the bullets you will ever need

You should come to the casting seminar. You would benefit from it. $150 all in investment (skinflint level) and you’re making all the bullets you will ever need
Tempting offer, but my only issue is time, I can’t find enough time to load and even shoot, trust me I would love to do it but it’s not possible for me… maybe someday soon I’ll take you up on that offer, unfortunately it’s not now…..

Dug out some boxer-primed 7.5 Swiss reloads and fired them off yesterday. Been making some easy-shooting 90g SRR loads to shoot and reload today. Don't need full power to bust up water-filled containers and ring some steel (11.0g of MP215 does just fine, thanks).

Attachments

• IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    758.1 KB · Views: 2
How would this compare to the dillon 1500?
Giraud trimmer trims/deburrs/chamfers all in one step. Each case is hand held and it measures off of the case shoulder. Dillon is flat cutter so trims to length, but no deburr or chamfer. Can be set up on press with case feeder, so probably faster to do volume trimming. Dillon can be used to convert 5.56 to 300BO as it is just flat cutting back from the case mouth. On a press, the Dillon trim die gets set up so that the cases are trimmed to a set length from the base. As the Giraud trims to a length measured from the shoulder, the overall case length CAN vary, but the neck length (shoulder to mouth) will be uniform. Dillon will produce uniform overall case length, but neck length CAN vary as the shoulder isn't taken into consideration. Probably not an issue if cases are resized before trimming.

Giraud is favored by many bolt-gun reloaders because of typically lower volumes and saving steps with the combined trimming/deburring/chamfering in one step. Perhaps the Dillon for those doing the 300BO conversion or for just trimming hundreds and hundreds of .223/5.56 cases (for example)? Others may have conflicting opinions...

Giraud trimmer trims/deburrs/chamfers all in one step. Each case is hand held and it measures off of the case shoulder. Dillon is flat cutter so trims to length, but no deburr or chamfer. Can be set up on press with case feeder, so probably faster to do volume trimming. Dillon can be used to convert 5.56 to 300BO as it is just flat cutting back from the case mouth. On a press, the Dillon trim die gets set up so that the cases are trimmed to a set length from the base. As the Giraud trims to a length measured from the shoulder, the overall case length CAN vary, but the neck length (shoulder to mouth) will be uniform. Dillon will produce uniform overall case length, but neck length CAN vary as the shoulder isn't taken into consideration. Probably not an issue if cases are resized before trimming.

Giraud is favored by many bolt-gun reloaders because of typically lower volumes and saving steps with the combined trimming/deburring/chamfering in one step. Perhaps the Dillon for those doing the 300BO conversion or for just trimming hundreds and hundreds of .223/5.56 cases (for example)? Others may have conflicting opinions...
Thanks that is very helpful. I already have the Dillon 1500. Havent used it yet. I was looking into converting 223 to 300 bo

How would this compare to the dillon 1500?
I have never used a Dillon 1500. But it’s off the press, chamfer and deburs, easy on the hands, swapping calibers is a breeze, and lots of calibers to choose from. Order of operations, decap, tumble, size, trim, (thumble again if you like) load and shoot.

i wonder - is this tool worth it at all? is there anyone here who is using this one - what can you say? yay or nay?
1663368995272.png

i wonder - is this tool worth it at all? is there anyone here who is using this one - what can you say? yay or nay?
View attachment 662725
It does not appear you can adjust depth like some other tools on the market. I don't know if that really makes a difference for range brass, but for $130 that's pretty steep. I guess they are trying to undercut the Dillon swager which is a little bit more.

I like my Lee APP with the swager kit, for about $20 less. I can adjust the height of the swage and can also go very quickly since that has a simple feeding mechanism. I looked at the Dillon swager before I got the Lee APP and found that the lack of a feeding mechanism was a deal breaker. I didn't want to feed cases by hand to do 1000 9mm or 223 cases.

I have never used a Dillon 1500. But it’s off the press, chamfer and deburs, easy on the hands, swapping calibers is a breeze, and lots of calibers to choose from. Order of operations, decap, tumble, size, trim, (thumble again if you like) load and shoot.
I prefer the giraud trimmer to the Dillon. I wish the giraud could be modified to be used on press like a Dillon but I’ll take the tri way cutter any day.

It does not appear you can adjust depth like some other tools on the market. I don't know if that really makes a difference for range brass, but for $130 that's pretty steep. I guess they are trying to undercut the Dillon swager which is a little bit more.

I like my Lee APP with the swager kit, for about $20 less. I can adjust the height of the swage and can also go very quickly since that has a simple feeding mechanism. I looked at the Dillon swager before I got the Lee APP and found that the lack of a feeding mechanism was a deal breaker. I didn't want to feed cases by hand to do 1000 9mm or 223 cases.
dunno, the only reasoning there for the dillon tool is to make it a part of the depriming cycle. to have any external tool does not make much sense for me, as i only need to do the pocket opening once for a never reloaded brass, once it is shot - i keep it in different bucket and it does not mix.

right now i simply use a primer pocket cutter in a drill, with drill fixed in the vise - and it works just fine. :) can`t go cheaper than that. but you need to do it one case at a time, by hand.

the lack of any height adjustment was the thing i was also not sure about at all, therefore wanted to ask if anybody uses that thing, and it does not seem like it...

I was cleaning up an old safe at work and this ammo was sitting in the bottom along with what I think is a primer. But I have no idea what kind of primer this is. Anyone recognize it?

9258.jpg

9259.jpg

9260.jpg

9257.jpg

Last edited:
killed quite a bit of time. first selected a hundred of previously sized/trimmed .223 cases, all within .6gr in weight. primed them.
then loaded it all with varget and 77gr noslers - charges as 23, 23.3, 23.5, 23.7, 24, 24.3, 24.5, 24, 23, 23.6 - all with the 0.1gr accuracy.

will see some time next week what good all that effort is going to produce.

I was doing more loads yesterday, and so far it seems I found a solution for Dillon measures.
The micrometer is optional, I have other one with a stock bolt - accuracy of a drop does not change when it is locked. Obviously, if you load a test ladder- micrometer helps a lot.
The 2 things that worked were - bar is painted, as can be seen, and it reduced play to the minimum. Less play it has in the housing- more accurate the drop.
Rubber bands to return it back.
And that tin insert sitting as shown - works for varget the best this exact way.
Was loading dasher yesterday, dialed for 30.8gr, 50 drops, almost every one was dead on, had 2-3 of 30.7 which is not critical there.

F2DB2C97-C8CD-45BE-B195-7C9975698653.jpeg

Last edited:
Just had some of these blemished 30 cal Nosler 168 gr custom comp bullets get delivered today. I had couple thousand of their standard non blemished CC’s and the only difference I can see is some of the hollow points are just barely “mangled/dented” and the bullet base on some has a dent. No way in hell I’ll notice a difference in accuracy at my 120 yard range 😂
Though I believe Nosler says this is only cosmetic and doesn’t affect accuracy.
View attachment 661567View attachment 661568
so, i got curious too, ordered some 5 bags of 175gr custom competition noslers, with 5 packs it gets it to $29.95 shipped, per 100. a 50% from the brand new price before shipping.
looking at what arrived - it is not perfect, but not too bad neither. i see up to 0.5gr deviation between bullets - just grabbed a random 10 to weight, top was 175.3, lowest 174.8gr.
only damage is to the fronts, so, probably not the best material for the 600yds, but i hope should be usable for up to 300. will see how it will group.
264AE7DB-609E-408A-86AF-E043FCBCE8DB.jpeg

Last edited:
so, i got curious too, ordered some 5 bags of 175gr custom competition noslers, with 5 packs it gets it to $29.95 shipped, per 100. a 50% from the brand new price before shipping.
looking at what arrived - it is not perfect, but not too bad neither. i see up to 0.5gr deviation between bullets - just grabbed a random 10 to weight, top was 175.3, lowest 174.8gr.
only damage is to the fronts, so, probably not the best material for the 600yds, but i hope should be usable for up to 300. will see how it will group.
View attachment 664198
Nice. That vendor used to put in the item description that it is only cosmetic and will not affect function/accuracy. I don't see them posting that anymore though. Or am I remembering that wrong @mac1911 ?

i think i saw it too, but it is a soft lie, if it was stated like this. :)
Found this in their FAQs. Looks like they no longer mention the "no change in accuracy/performance" statement.

WHAT CLASSIFIES A BLEM?​

Products are considered a "blem" when there is imperfections. This generally is discoloration on the bullet jacket or brass casing, or potentially some scratches and dents. There may even be some sizing differences. A blemished bullet could also have a cannelure or band. WE label these to be blem products becuase they did not pass Nosler's strict inspections process but are perfectly fine to load or shoot.

Found this in their FAQs. Looks like they no longer mention the "no change in accuracy/performance" statement.

WHAT CLASSIFIES A BLEM?​

Products are considered a "blem" when there is imperfections. This generally is discoloration on the bullet jacket or brass casing, or potentially some scratches and dents. There may even be some sizing differences. A blemished bullet could also have a cannelure or band. WE label these to be blem products becuase they did not pass Nosler's strict inspections process but are perfectly fine to load or shoot.
it is just a common sense - a dented nose like on the picture i show will affect ballistics. not for a 100 and i think not for a 300 much, though. beyond that - it should.

it is just a common sense - a dented nose like on the picture i show will affect ballistics. not for a 100 and i think not for a 300 much, though. beyond that - it should.
Yep.

If you do a google search on these bullets you'll find older discussions on various forums where Nosler stated it wouldn't affect performance etc. I suspect people starting calling them out on that and they've since removed it lol

Yep.

If you do a google search on these bullets you'll find older discussions on various forums where Nosler stated it wouldn't affect performance etc. I suspect people starting calling them out on that and they've since removed it lol
Makes sense.
Here is a comparison- see the snouts of new 77gr noslers
5E629300-7E81-4B7E-8C39-956CDD679D26.jpeg

Finally got around to hooking up the portable A/C that my wife got me for the garage. Cut a hole in the exterior wall to vent it, have to run the drain hose out the same wall, (do that later when it's cooler out, because I need to move the bike out again).

It's 89 degrees outside right now, about 70 in the garage.

And yeah, it's just a "little" crowded in there.

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

One would expect, though it isn't clear what the magnitude of the deviation would be compared to the other variables that impinge. The bullet is spinning, and the asymmetry is small and very close to the axis. I don't know, but if somebody did the math and said it worked out to a 0.2 MOA deviation due to the copper deformation alone, I wouldn't be in position to say they had it wrong. Plus at high velocities over long distances, Hornady claims that bullet tips can deform from aerodynamic heating, anyway. I assume they're not making that up.

One would expect, though it isn't clear what the magnitude of the deviation would be compared to the other variables that impinge. The bullet is spinning, and the asymmetry is small and very close to the axis. I don't know, but if somebody did the math and said it worked out to a 0.2 MOA deviation due to the copper deformation alone, I wouldn't be in position to say they had it wrong. Plus at high velocities over long distances, Hornady claims that bullet tips can deform from aerodynamic heating, anyway. I assume they're not making that up.
I will shoot it tomorrow, at a 100yds and if it does well there - 300. Will see. The 175gr SMK was doing very good at 100, a 3/4-1/2 moa. Hopefully these ones will be comparable.

Last edited:
Finally got around to hooking up the portable A/C that my wife got me for the garage. Cut a hole in the exterior wall to vent it, have to run the drain hose out the same wall, (do that later when it's cooler out, because I need to move the bike out again).

It's 89 degrees outside right now, about 70 in the garage.

And yeah, it's just a "little" crowded in there.

View attachment 664222

View attachment 664223
Nice.
I guess the signage sums it up.

Yep.

it worked exactly as predicted, i had no time to go to 300, but should be fine there. best group looked like this, 5 shots. me likey. 43.8 also was ok, but less good ES/SD - still gives me a very nice .2gr load window that i will use for it from now on.
if you will see them again on same sale - pls let me know, the 175gr ones.

1663786520342.png
1663786592749.png

Back
Top Bottom