• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Not always. AA9 has flash suppressants in the powder unlike H110 or 2400
Yeah, there are flash suppressants, but on the flip side, what makes a big flash isn't exactly clear. The flame of an ordinary fire can extend a fair distance from the combusting material, and in firearms we have a lot of gas being trapped and superheated in the barrel behind the bullet. I went poking around on the interwebs trying to find some answers and came across one guy who claimed that if you add graphite to your load, it will create big flash. So there's an experiment for you. F*k flash suppressant and add graphite to your AA9 loads. Sounds like a great idea, they said. Should be fun, they said.

loaded some 455Webley for the Colt New Service. A 265 grain hollow base bullet ahead of 6 and 6.4 grains of Blue Dot. Both loads were mild and quite accurate. Especially for a gun that's so old, it went to England during WWI. It has someone's initials and the number 77 on the sideplate. I wonder if someone in the 77th Division (The Lost Battalion) got their hands on it. That would be pretty cool..

Exceedingly doubtful. Americans had no use for guns in .455 Webley. They had plenty of pistols in .45ACP and no room in their supply chain for .455. The 77 is most likely a rack number at best, or postwar application more likely; unit codes and rack numbers in the British Army went on the backstrap.

I had one of those .455 New Services awhile ago. Just a gorgeous gun; most of them never saw active service. That big, slow bullet is accurate as hell, too.

FINALLY getting my room set up after the move to TX. Manged to turn out 100 .308 Win with 125gr SMKs over IMR-3031 in Peterson brass on my turret press. Precision load for my bolt gun. Will be taking them to the new range to relearn how to shoot at 100 and 200 yds since I haven't pulled a rifle trigger in almost 3 months. Tomorrow will be the day to remount the Dillon. Setting up the loading room was like "coming home" (grin).

Let us know how the old line held up over the years
First batch tested wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I'm using 3.1 bullseye and getting a fist sized group at 50 feet from a rest. That's not gonna cut it. Previous years I ran bullseye league with 357 mag using 158 grain jsp and 9.6 grains unique believe it or not. Put up some good scores with that recipe the gun just seemed to like that load. I was hoping coming down to 38 special wadcutters I'd get a better grouping. Maybe 3.1 bullseye is too much......the recoil was mire than I was expecting actually.......I've made wadcutter loads with copper plated before and remember them being mouse fast recoil.

First batch tested wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I'm using 3.1 bullseye and getting a fist sized group at 50 feet from a rest. That's not gonna cut it. Previous years I ran bullseye league with 357 mag using 158 grain jsp and 9.6 grains unique believe it or not. Put up some good scores with that recipe the gun just seemed to like that load. I was hoping coming down to 38 special wadcutters I'd get a better grouping. Maybe 3.1 bullseye is too much......the recoil was mire than I was expecting actually.......I've made wadcutter loads with copper plated before and remember them being mouse fast recoil.
Maybe a little more. IIRC, I was using 3.2 bullseye...but it was a hundred years ago...:(
ETA: 3.2 BE with .45 cal. 200gr. SEMI-WADCUTTERS not HBWC's...in 1911's

Last edited:
Maybe a little more. IIRC, I was using 3.2 bullseye...but it was a hundred years ago...:(
Good news is I've got plenty of bullseye.....plenty of projos......and plenty of time. Bullseye league isn't till February lol

I don't think the problem is the projos I've been told hollow base wadcutters are the standard for bullseye league. I just have to experiment some.

Just had some of these blemished 30 cal Nosler 168 gr custom comp bullets get delivered today. I had couple thousand of their standard non blemished CC’s and the only difference I can see is some of the hollow points are just barely “mangled/dented” and the bullet base on some has a dent. No way in hell I’ll notice a difference in accuracy at my 120 yard range 😂
Though I believe Nosler says this is only cosmetic and doesn’t affect accuracy.
9F772D0D-5796-4D5D-B5BD-40E9AF47F4CC.jpeg 7D2CA19D-98E2-4D53-B35B-03D9EE0A93E9.jpeg

Just had some of these blemished 30 cal Nosler 168 gr custom comp bullets get delivered today. I had couple thousand of their standard non blemished CC’s and the only difference I can see is some of the hollow points are just barely “mangled/dented” and the bullet base on some has a dent. No way in hell I’ll notice a difference in accuracy at my 120 yard range 😂
They're going to end up pretty mangled when they hit the steel plate anyway. ;)

View attachment 661567View attachment 661568
How much was it per a 100 pack?

How much was it per a 100 pack?
$25 per 100 shipped since they had a Labor Day 10% off. Could have been cheaper ($22 per 100) if I sprung for more and spent $200 to get free shipping. I didn’t need that many.

Crazy I paid 21-22 cents for regular Nosler CC’s back when Wideners was around and shipped to MA. That was like 2014-15 I think? @mac1911 turned me on to the Noslers

Last edited:
$25 per 1k shipped since they had a Labor Day 10% off. Could have been cheaper ($22 per 1k) if I sprung for more and spent $200 to get free shipping. I didn’t need that many.

Crazy I paid 21-22 cents for regular Nosler CC’s back when Wideners was around and shipped to MA. That was like 2014-15 I think? @mac1911 turned me on to the Noslers
I’m so green with envy- have no words. :)
I guess you shipped it to NH, as usual?

A great score, definitely.

Last edited:
$25 per 1k shipped since they had a Labor Day 10% off. Could have been cheaper ($22 per 1k) if I sprung for more and spent $200 to get free shipping. I didn’t need that many.

Very good bullets, I stocked up on CC in 2017 they had some great deals and coupon codes.
I will grab a few thou here and there just to keep up levels.
What I need is a powder restock.
Would not hurt to get a few 8lb jugs of 4895 when they show up again.

$25 per 100 shipped since they had a Labor Day 10% off. Could have been cheaper ($22 per 100) if I sprung for more and spent $200 to get free shipping. I didn’t need that many.

I meant to say $25 per 100 😂
Sorry guys.

Nothing today, but the other day I spent my reloading session vacuuming up Winchester 231 off the basement floor. Apparently, the housing on my Lee Auto Drum was cracked so the spring powering the drum launched the entire unit off the press when I reached the top of the stroke, spilling a full hopper of powder 🤬

20220911_132957.jpg

20220911_131733.jpg

Nothing today, but the other day I spent my reloading session vacuuming up Winchester 231 off the basement floor. Apparently, the housing on my Lee Auto Drum was cracked so the spring powering the drum launched the entire unit off the press when I reached the top of the stroke, spilling a full hopper of powder 🤬

View attachment 661834

View attachment 661835
That’s powder abuse! Sorry to hear that.

I bought a Lee undersized sizing die for 44 mag from Grafs. Arrived yesterday and I'm curious to see if it affects SDs when I chrono the ammo. I did notice a big jump in resistance when seating bullets after sizing brass with this die. God knows how many times this 44 mag brass has been reloaded by me so it's getting a little loose it seems lol.
May be a complete waste of time and money but the die was short money and I like to play around with this stuff

I bought a Lee undersized sizing die for 44 mag from Grafs. Arrived yesterday and I'm curious to see if it affects SDs when I chrono the ammo. I did notice a big jump in resistance when seating bullets after sizing brass with this die. God knows how many times this 44 mag brass has been reloaded by me so it's getting a little loose it seems lol.
May be a complete waste of time and money but the die was short money and I like to play around with this stuff
Roze Distribution jacketed hollow point 240, right?

Got a micrometer? Can you compare the brass resized with your various dies before you load a bullet into it?

Roze Distribution jacketed hollow point 240, right?

Got a micrometer? Can you compare the brass resized with your various dies before you load a bullet into it?
Haven’t tried the Zero/Roze bullets yet. Been burning through the Xtreme plated bullets.
I suspect I’ll have better results with the Zero bullets given they’re jacketed and better quality than the Xtremes. I’ll have to test both

Back
Top Bottom