• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Packed up the Dillon, sending it off tomorrow to be fixed. Hopefully. In case you were wondering, a Dillon 650 can be shipped in an iMac box, with some extra foam and padding.
So the UPS store in Nashua does not ship ANY firearm related items, including parts, red dots, and apparently, reloading machines. Apparently, honesty is not the best policy, even in NH.
So I had to go to Fedex. Also, do not use an iMac box, as it just leads to questions. Best bet is to steal the official Dillon box that Paulk137 has.

So the UPS store in Nashua does not ship ANY firearm related items, including parts, red dots, and apparently, reloading machines. Apparently, honesty is not the best policy, even in NH.
So I had to go to Fedex. Also, do not use an iMac box, as it just leads to questions. Best bet is to steal the official Dillon box that Paulk137 has.
I'm surprised they even knew what a reloading machine is. My default answer is "tools."

May have found the load I need for bullseye league. I had found a 1000 rounds of old star brand 148 grain hollow base wadcutters and was excited as I heard these were a great bullseye projo for 38 special. I tried the tried true bullseye powder load with then and my blackhawk revolver hated them. Terrible groups. I did some reading on some bullseye and reloading forums and got some advice here to try them in the 357 cases and up the charges more toward the higher end of 38 special. I went with 4 grains unique in a 357 case and seated them just a hair above flush with the case mouth.

This is the result of the 15 test cases I made. Much better and pleasant to shoot. This is at the standard 50 feet.

I am used to a tighter group than these for bullsey league.

Any suggestions to Tighen that up even more? Up the charge more? Seat them to higher oal? I'm open to suggestions.

20230108_200335.jpg 20230108_200348.jpg 20230108_200903.jpg

May have found the load I need for bullseye league. I had found a 1000 rounds of old star brand 148 grain hollow base wadcutters and was excited as I heard these were a great bullseye projo for 38 special. I tried the tried true bullseye powder load with then and my blackhawk revolver hated them. Terrible groups. I did some reading on some bullseye and reloading forums and got some advice here to try them in the 357 cases and up the charges more toward the higher end of 38 special. I went with 4 grains unique in a 357 case and seated them just a hair above flush with the case mouth.

This is the result of the 15 test cases I made. Much better and pleasant to shoot. This is at the standard 50 feet.

Any suggestions to Tighen that up even more? Up the charge more? Seat them to higher oal? I'm open to suggestions.

View attachment 707202View attachment 707203View attachment 707204
I f***ing love wadcutters.

I use a Dillon 550, and I'm constantly finding spent primers everywhere as well. Don't stress too much. :)
That started happening to me too. I found the spent primer funnel was binding and staying closed. So I took out the cotter pin and only re-inserted one side of it. Moves easier now.

That started happening to me too. I found the spent primer funnel was binding and staying closed. So I took out the cotter pin and only re-inserted one side of it. Moves easier now.
Great trick!

I 3D printed some collars to extend the height of the bin to help collect MOST of the strays.
Remind me and I’ll bring one to you.

Why would they know you are shipping a reloading machine or any parts?

If they must know, say "tools". If they must know what kind of tool say "brass working tool" (if you care, this is not a lie).

Parts ... "springs and pins for tools".

As far as red dot ... also "tool".

I have an "official" Dillon box. It says "AMMO MANUFACTURING" on every single side. I would never ship using that box. I was like "WTF?" when Dillon sent that to me. Maybe they have another plain "official" box?

Been reloading what I had for 9mm brass. I thought I had 500 or so but ran out at about 350. Just put in an order for some new starline brass. I guess this would be a good time to really start keeping track of the usage of reloads.
You might be the first person I’ve heard of to buy new 9mm brass. Curious what your cost breakdown is to reload 9mm.

You would be better off spending 5-10 minutes picking up brass at any range. If you’re going to buy brass for 9mm it’s probably not worth the cost and effort to reload.

You might be the first person I’ve heard of to buy new 9mm brass. Curious what your cost breakdown is to reload 9mm.

You would be better off spending 5-10 minutes picking up brass at any range. If you’re going to buy brass for 9mm it’s probably not worth the cost and effort to reload.
The "Brass Rats" club is always accepting new members ;-)

I try to pick up brass whenever I go but it's obvious that others are doing the same. Mostly just steel in the buckets. With prices of ammo dropping, I'm not sure if I'm saving or not by purchasing brass. I'm almost pretty sure with new brass, I'm not.

If you had posted a WTB for 9mm, you would have gotten many responses. Range 9 is going for 2-3 cents a case in other forums. 2 cents is just above scrap prices.

In the rich part of the state, most people can’t be bothered to pick it up. It’s everywhere, necessitating the brass rats. That and 223….no one picks that up either. 9 and 223 are the pickled herring of the brass world. 🤣

Been reloading what I had for 9mm brass. I thought I had 500 or so but ran out at about 350. Just put in an order for some new starline brass. I guess this would be a good time to really start keeping track of the usage of reloads.
Cancel the order and buy once fired. The place I buy 9mm brass (clean), charges 4 cents shipped per case. I’ll PM you

This - it's cheaper to buy factory ammo for the case than buy new brass just to reload.
Cheapest I could find starline is about 0.16/ea. Add 0.10 for a primer, another $0.10 for a projectile and even without powder you can buy factory.

View attachment 707202View attachment 707203View attachment 707204
Your target shows a very specific pattern feel like 3 of your shots where taken on the Hard pulse of your hart.
2 center and 3 high darn close to same pattern ,
Do you use a center hold or 6 oclock hold.

I love wad cutters in the 38spl

Your target shows a very specific pattern feel like 3 of your shots where taken on the Hard pulse of your hart.
2 center and 3 high darn close to same pattern ,
Do you use a center hold or 6 oclock hold.

I love wad cutters in the 38spl
6 O'clock for bullseye shooting. I'm a total amateur. Have not got to the point where my heartbeat comes into play yet. Not even sure where to begin with that.

6 O'clock for bullseye shooting. I'm a total amateur. Have not got to the point where my heartbeat comes into play yet. Not even sure where to begin with that.
We all have a natural pulse , watch your front sight, your groups are so close in pattern I will say its you
If you have good focus on the front sight you will see your pulse.
Your groups are vertical vs all over , watch your hold dont take to long getting off a shot.
Try a little line of white hold.
You should be able to pick up any drift up into the black

Your groups to me anyway are not bad , you just have 2 different groups , even your 2 center shots are close in pattern so your doing something consistent ,

Is that the correct target ?

Last edited:
We all have a natural pulse , watch your front sight, your groups are so close in pattern I will say its you
If you have good focus on the front sight you will see your pulse.
Your groups are vertical vs all over , watch your hold dont take to long getting off a shot.
Try a little line of white hold.
You should be able to pick up any drift up into the black

Your groups to me anyway are not bad , you just have 2 different groups , even your 2 center shots are close in pattern so your doing something consistent ,

Is that the correct target ?
It's the nra bullseye target the one we use for league.

Back
Top Bottom